Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Do you Ride with a Dropper Post? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1088040)

Heyspike 11-13-16 12:09 PM

Do you Ride with a Dropper Post?

I was out the other night riding and a few guys had Dropper Posts. There seems to be quite a difference on price for these. What do you have and how do you like it?
Thanks,
John

Canker 11-13-16 11:31 PM

I picked up a KS Eten around 8 months ago because it was cheap $120 and I didn't know how much I'd like it. It is heavy, has a slow return, I don't care for the stock lever, but the post works and I love having a dropper. I'd like to get a better one but they all seem to have their reliability issues and I really don't want to spend $250+ on a POS. The only one that seems to be super reliable is the Gravity Dropper which just uses a spring but it is fugly(don't care) and $300(do care).

monsterkidz 11-14-16 08:28 AM

My bike came with a KS Super Natural. I like it, but if it didn't come stock on my Kona I don't think i would shell out for one.

hig4s 11-14-16 09:45 AM

I have a KS eTen also, paid $140 for it, love it, if for no other reason than I can drop it when I stop and put my feet on the ground!!!

osco53 11-14-16 03:03 PM

My First was the Giant Contact SL I think It was.
Made my full squish feel top heavy a little, I used it mostly to drop the saddle about half way, left It there until
I was climbing or on the fire roads

My current Is the Syncros house brand.

Both have a $80 replaceable non serviceable cartridge,
Cable trigger, easy clean and lube,
From Giant the cost was about $260
Both are the exact same thing made by Tranzx I think It Iz....
Seatpost:TranzX YSP-15 Dropper Post
Can be found for a buck ten or so online ,,$100-$120

On my new bike Its a must have. Cannot Imagine riding my Hard Tail without one.
Reaching down for a quick release,,really ? Not this boy. This post works just fine.

So OP, the answer is YES you will love it and YES us dropper junkies use them...
Being able to move on and over the bike down low Is every thing..

Get LOW Get Fast Get Safe~~~~

Bikernator 11-14-16 03:49 PM

Same: got a KS Etem with the remote trigger thing. No, it's not that light, but after my first few rides (it was oddly difficult to get my brain to program that step into my riding process), I'll probably never go back. At least not on a hard tail.

I ride a Trek Stache and it made a genuine night/day difference for me on the fast, rocky, technical stuff - which I hit a fair amount of.

Used it in New Mexico on some much more rigorous stuff and it took it from 'fun' to 'incredible.' If I had so sum it up, it's like it puts me on the offensive and attacking downhills rather than defending against crashing.

Easily worth the ~$120 and weight penalty to me. Results may vary.

LHawes 11-14-16 04:35 PM

My Giant Trance comes stock with one and I LOVE it. So nice for so many things other than dropping down low for downhills. Done riding, drop the post and swing your leg over so easy. Drop it 1 inch to get a little closer to the ground but keep your pedal power. Drop it half way just cause you feel like it. Thought it was a gimmick at first but really love it.

Jiggle 11-15-16 08:46 AM

I want to get one but I'm holding out for an electric one with wireless actuation. Actually voice activated would be even better. "Hi-O Silver" [post rises].

lubes17319 11-15-16 10:12 AM

Love it!

LHawes 11-15-16 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jiggle (Post 19192965)
I want to get one but I'm holding out for an electric one with wireless actuation. Actually voice activated would be even better. "Hi-O Silver" [post rises].

Looks like they are part way there.

pholuvr 11-15-16 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Heyspike (Post 19188708)
What do you have and how do you like it?

I've been using dropper posts over a decade. Started with gravity Droppers, then moved on to Thomson.

Recently switched to 9point8 because they offered a 200mm drop (long legs).

There's no sane reason not to have one on your MTB. They make the ride more fun.

osco53 11-16-16 03:06 PM

THIS Is what a Dropper post Does !

"If I had so sum it up, it's like it puts me on the offensive and attacking downhills rather than defending against crashing."

"Thought it was a gimmick at first but really love it."

"There's no sane reason not to have one on your MTB. They make the ride more fun."

justin70 11-16-16 06:10 PM

Really liked my Rockshox Reverb, until a month after buying my bike the reverb broke. Warranty replacement was easy; my bike shop was very accommodating because I only had it 1 month. But given mixed reviews for the reverb online, along with mixed reviews about SRAM warranty replacement process, I just sold the replacement and put on a rigid seatpost. The dropper was convenient but expensive.

pholuvr 11-16-16 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by justin70 (Post 19196412)
The dropper was convenient but expensive.

Yeah, you bought a POS.

Caveat Emptor. If you had invested in a quality, reliable post your experience would have been much different.

bikeme 11-17-16 01:32 AM

I have a KS i950 Dropzone with remote. I've had it 3 yrs., super reliable. It was $255, I think. I love it--it lowers your CG and allows the bike to move more under you. I use it all the time descending. I even drop it on flat fire road sweepers for more speed and control. So what it weighs 8 oz more than a std. post? It hasn't hurt my climbing and my descending is much faster. Lastly, you want one with remote, not a lever you have to reach under the seat for!

lubes17319 11-17-16 10:46 AM

I started with a KS Supernatural.
No issues for 3 yrs, 3 months until I ended up cracking the saddle-rail mounts. Since that model had no replacement parts, non-rebuildable I binned it & replaced it w/a KS Lev & added a Southpaw lever...the drooper pole has been the best investment I ever made for MTB-ing!!

For my rigid snow bike, I wanted to try one, but didn't want to shell out much so went with a TMars post, $90.
That made it through 2 winters w/almost no maintenance before it decided to quit. The pin that holds the shaft in position was the issue.

If you want to give a drooper pole a shot on a budget, I'd suggest the Tmars ($66 now - I may grab another).

Heyspike 11-17-16 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by osco53 (Post 19191572)

My current Is the Syncros house brand.

Both have a $80 replaceable non serviceable cartridge,
Cable trigger, easy clean and lube,
From Giant the cost was about $260
Both are the exact same thing made by Tranzx I think It Iz....
Seatpost:TranzX YSP-15 Dropper Post
Can be found for a buck ten or so online ,,$100-$120

Thanks all. I was looking at the KS Integra or Eten. I did check Cannondale's site and the use the TranzX on their Beast of the East #1, I have the 3. I couldn't find that one online. My LBS is looking into for me.

SpeshulEd 11-18-16 03:00 PM

I put the Thomson Elite on my Cannondale and the KS Eten on my Surly.

Yes the Thomson is super nice, but the KS does the same job and you can't beat the price.

The Thomson allows you to change your seat angle easily and also has a metal trigger. The seat adjustment I can live without (set it and forget it), but updating the plastic trigger on the KS might happen one day if it ever breaks.

osco53 11-19-16 08:51 AM

My seat goes down then I drop down and the bike goes down, really fast, with me all low over the frame.
I just cannot get as low with the seat up,
My seat goes up when I go up really steep stuff with me perched on the saddle nose all low over the stem.
I pedal smoother In the saddle,

My seat finds a middle position when I'm pumping the bike, when I'm doing fast sweepers or getting air.
My seat goes up when I'm chasing bikes down on the jeep trails :P

Reaching down with my hand to raise or lower the seat, Stopping In front of riders on the trail to adjust the seat, Really ? Yer Kidding right ?

Get back to go down, old school,,

Get low to go down, to lean the bike, to jump, to land, to slide,,New school,,

How do you ride ?

pholuvr 11-19-16 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by osco53 (Post 19201103)
Reaching down with my hand to raise or lower the seat, Stopping In front of riders on the trail to adjust the seat, Really ? Yer Kidding right ?

If this is in reply to SpeshulEd you really need to work on your reading comprehension skills (as well as finding someone to explain to you how the quote function works).

SpeshulEd 11-19-16 12:58 PM

I'm so confused, haha.

osco53 11-20-16 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by pholuvr (Post 19201231)
If this is in reply to SpeshulEd you really need to work on your reading comprehension skills (as well as finding someone to explain to you how the quote function works).

If It makes you feel better talking down my stuff have fun. I answer some of these posts with a coffee buzz In a hurry on my way out the door.
I use the quote function my way,

You come off as a school teacher, Ok then grade me If you must :P

SpeshulEd 11-20-16 09:35 AM

Haha, take it easy guys, all in good fun.

osco53 11-20-16 11:21 AM

Hai :D

pholuvr 11-20-16 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by osco53 (Post 19202793)
If It makes you feel better talking down my stuff have fun. I answer some of these posts with a coffee buzz In a hurry on my way out the door.
I use the quote function my way,

You come off as a school teacher, Ok then grade me If you must :P

So you blame too much caffeine for your lack of reading comprehension and your inability to quote (GREAT job figuring that out for this post though!!! Gold star for you!).

Got it.

I now return you to your ongoing amusing posts about "mountain biking" in a pancake state.