Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Swimming in Bike Shorts (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1185664)

Stretch44 10-13-19 11:49 AM

Swimming in Bike Shorts

Does anyone swim in the ocean with their bike shorts and then keep riding in the wet shorts? I ride out to the beach a lot and always change into swim shorts and then back into bike shorts but would be much easier if I just went in with my bike shorts.

I know I should man up and just try it but I’ve tried riding in a somewhat wet bathing suit and it’s not pleasant and suspect the bike shorts may be be worse.

anon06 10-13-19 12:49 PM

Hi. I haven't tried it, myself, but I found an old thread about this topic (where others who've swimmed in bike shorts responded), in case it might help you.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...swim-suit.html

Ross520 10-13-19 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stretch44 (Post 21161960)
Does anyone swim in the ocean with their bike shorts and then keep riding in the wet shorts? I ride out to the beach a lot and always change into swim shorts and then back into bike shorts but would be much easier if I just went in with my bike shorts.

I know I should man up and just try it but I’ve tried riding in a somewhat wet bathing suit and it’s not pleasant and suspect the bike shorts may be be worse.

Sounds like a recipe for chaffing...

Steve B. 10-13-19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ross520 (Post 21162047)
Sounds like a recipe for chaffing...

It is indeed and I know this from experience. Wet cycling shorts are not comfortable.

GlennR 10-13-19 01:45 PM

Triathletes do it all the time.

datlas 10-13-19 05:24 PM

^^ This. Buy a pair of tri shorts. The pad is thinner and less liable to get water-logged.

rseeker 10-13-19 05:33 PM

What's the difference between salt from the ocean and salt from your own body?

The concentration, maybe, not sure.

What's the difference between wet from the ocean and wet from your own body sweat? Nothing, if you're a gusher like me.

CliffordK 10-13-19 05:35 PM

For our local "Blackberry Century", cyclists are invited to cool off in the pool afterwards, cycling shorts OK. However, I'm also a bike commuter, so I've chosen not to take them up on the offer.

martianone 10-13-19 05:51 PM

When I wear "bike shorts", they are B&G touring shorts.
plus I frequently wear them as "regular shorts",
plus in swimming.
have been cycling and swimming (or waist deep wading) with them a number
of times, so far - no problems

burnthesheep 10-13-19 06:05 PM

You want a triathlon kit OR a cycling short with a synthetic pad so the pad doesn’t sop up water.

Nachoman 10-13-19 07:31 PM

Super lightweight swim suit tossed into a baggie and then stuffed into rear jersey pocket, was my system.

mstateglfr 10-13-19 09:27 PM

Each summer I will do a slip-n-slide or two on ragbrai and the shorts get soaked.

I choose hot/windy days and the shorts fully dry within an hour.

caloso 10-13-19 09:37 PM

You want tri shorts, not bike shorts.

_ForceD_ 10-14-19 08:27 AM

As a veteran of many triathlons over several decades, most of which are in salt water, I never hesitate to ride in the same shorts that I swim in. Actually, I fabricate my own tri suits using a nylon/spandex jammer swimsuit. I don't want/need the 'panty liner' holding the extra water. I've never had an issue with chaffing.

trailangel 10-14-19 09:27 AM

My mom says no, don't do it.

Stretch44 10-14-19 11:09 AM

Thanks all, I’ll have to try the Tri shorts

downhillmaster 10-14-19 11:18 AM

If you try that in Rapha or Assos I believe it is against the law and will instantly void all warranties :D

NoWhammies 10-14-19 07:45 PM

As someone who has spend A LOT of time swimming and in pools (not the ocean I'm afraid) I'm fully of the mind to change. Swimming in a sweat shammy just sounds like it would be extremely uncomfortable. And just because the tri-geeks do it doesn't make it right.

Nachoman 10-14-19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 21163102)

My mom says Desitin will work well for diaper rash and for chafing.

REDMASTA 10-14-19 09:58 PM

swim naked

Milton Keynes 10-15-19 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 21163102)

Or at least wait half an hour after eating.

Wilfred Laurier 10-16-19 08:35 AM

I went riding with my buddy's brother a while back and we went for a swim in the middle of the ride. We didn't think about it at the time, but my buddy's brother got back on the brooks leather saddle with the wet shorts and the saddle got waterlogged and was all saggy by the end of the ride. I don't know if the saddle ever recovered.

livedarklions 10-16-19 09:33 AM

Someday I might try biking in bike shorts.

I have not been tempted to swim in cargo pants.

86az135i 10-16-19 10:24 AM

I've gotten wet in rivers or lakes and no issues, although not salt water.

pyeyo 10-16-19 11:11 AM

The first best solution as mentioned above is a pair of tri-shorts, they don't absorb water and dry quickly. There are seat pads out there that will let you bike in swim shorts (an older tri solution) I do occasionally swim at the end of ride in a local river but it is a one mile hop home. Another thing worth mentioning is swimming in cold water after a long hot ride does effect leg function for a bit, at least for myself, I've climbed out of a
59 degree F river only to have to sit down and let my leg function return to more normal.