Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Canyon Alert (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1225086)

bmcer 03-04-21 03:09 PM

Canyon Alert

Canyon has asked owners of their new Aeroad CF SLX and CF aero road bikes to stop riding them following an incident at Le Samyn when a portion of Mathieu van der Poel’s handelbar broke and fell off during the race. Full article here: https://www.velonews.com/gear/road-g...lebar-incident. Interesting given the recent discussions of integrated stem/handlebar set ups.

Ferrouscious 03-04-21 04:14 PM

Crap engineering team. A seatpost design that self destructs and handlebars that snap under heavy load. Nice.

WhyFi 03-04-21 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious (Post 21952484)
Crap engineering team. A seatpost design that self destructs and handlebars that snap under heavy load. Nice.

I mean, "crumple zones" worked for the auto industry... :foo:

cxwrench 03-04-21 04:22 PM

Just bring it in to your nearest Canyon dealer...

Oh...wait...

grizzly59 03-04-21 04:23 PM

Several oldtime Cinelli engineers suffered severe injuries from reading Velonews, laughing so hard they fell out of their chairs during morning coffee.

bmcer 03-04-21 04:41 PM

Well, I bought a Canyon Endurace SL 8.0 last Spring. Although I love the bike in general, it came with one of their integrated cockpit set ups that was a nuisance from the get go. For one thing, it was near impossible to find a compatible mount for my Garmin 1030. The one I could find put the Edge in a less than optimal position. I managed to kluge together a mount that worked better but looked gawd-awful ugly, but then a few months later while replacing the bar tape, I discovered the left side of the HB was fractured just under the brake/shifter clamp. The tape and clamp were enough to hold things together tightly enough that the flex wasn't noticeable until I striped things down. Long story short, I opted to go with a standard handlebar and separate stem since I wanted a shorter stem anyway. No further issues since then, but it did put a dent in my opinion of "German" engineering.

This latest faux pas had done nothing to reassure me.

DangerousDanR 03-04-21 06:08 PM

I once had a pair of alloy bars snap off on one side between the brake lever and the stem. In fairness to Cinelli, yes they were their bars, mine were about 30 years and 50,000 miles old. You do not want to experience it. No crash, but quite a surprise. If you have one of those bikes don't ignore the warning.

genejockey 03-04-21 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis (Post 21952515)
Wow, too much technology, no thanks!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...92301861a5.jpg

Worth noting, however, that his bars did not break at the adjustable joint, but rather appear to have broken at the brake lever.

tyrion 03-04-21 06:16 PM

The Canyon handlebars will be fine if you simply remove the brake levers.

TiHabanero 03-04-21 06:54 PM

"it did put a dent in my opinion of "German" engineering."

Interesting statement. Work on German autos or motorcycles long enough and you realize they simply make vehicles like all the rest and there is no "magic" to their engineering. No better, no worse.

Paul Barnard 03-04-21 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 21952499)

Oh...wait...

take, not bring.

bmcer 03-04-21 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis (Post 21952515)
Wow, too much technology, no thanks!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...92301861a5.jpg

Some pictures say so much. This one just says, "Don't" :)

cxwrench 03-04-21 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 21952838)
take, not bring.

Really? Have I been using the wrong word for all these years? Why is bring not the correct word?

Troul 03-04-21 09:54 PM

Send it.

Koyote 03-04-21 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 21952499)

Oh...wait...

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 21952838)
take, not bring.

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 21952911)
Really? Have I been using the wrong word for all these years? Why is bring not the correct word?

Pedants really need to do their research.

"Bring" is used when something is being moved to a location, "take" is used to describe movement away from a location. Correct usage would be ""Just bring it in to your nearest Canyon dealer," and "I'm taking my broken handlebar and going home."

tl;dr: cxwrench is entirely correct.

mstateglfr 03-04-21 10:26 PM

When so much innovation and weight reduction is designed into a product that will be worked hard for years, sometimes the mark is missed and things break.
Not excusing Canyon here, but I am surprised issues like this don't happen more frequently.

Incremental gains as a concept is fascinating. Incremental gains as a bike design can quickly become dumb.

79pmooney 03-04-21 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious (Post 21952484)

Matthieu van der Poel hit a car with that handlebar days before the race. He/the mechanic chose not to change it out. Bad call. Canyon is pulling out all the stops on damage control. Good for them but if those bars were changed out as they should have been, it might well be that all the others out there are just fine.

I'm not a fan of carbon but this is a case of the team not respecting carbon for what it is. A strong, very light material that doesn't like impacts and can suffer hidden damage. Hitting a car, then racing over cobbles? Nahh. Now the team didn't spend, what?, $100 replacing the bar (plus an hour of two of labor), Canyon is going to step up and replace a pile of handlebars. Probably take a hit on sales as well. (That mechanic might get a quiet talking to next time the Canyon rep is over.)

Edit: The CyclingNews article:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/can...#disqus_thread

surak 03-05-21 12:32 AM

Any time a new product comes out, there's always a chance for design flaws to get past internal testing and QA. Not just in bikes, but cars, electronics, everything. That something broke during a cobbled pro race is not surprising in the least, regardless of whether a pre-race impact weakened it.

Dirk de Chablis 03-05-21 06:02 AM

Wait till lap 3

Paul Barnard 03-05-21 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 21952911)

Here's a handy rule on when to use bring and take when it involves movement of an object. When the movement of the object is away from you, take is used. When the movement is toward you, bring is used. I am at my house. CXWrench, bring your bike over to my house, and we'll adjust the derailleur. CXWrench, I am a horrible mechanic, so I'd recommend you take your bike the shop for repair.

When I moved into the NOLA area I realized how pervasive the misuse was. As I have tried to help people, some grasped it better this way. Point to where the object will go. If you are pointing away from where you are, use take.

There are some exceptions, but none that would ever make the above wrong.

Bring here. Take away.

https://www.lexico.com/grammar/bring-or-take

Paul Barnard 03-05-21 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Koyote (Post 21952939)
Pedants really need to do their research.

"Bring" is used when something is being moved to a location, "take" is used to describe movement away from a location. Correct usage would be ""Just bring it in to your nearest Canyon dealer," and "I'm taking my broken handlebar and going home."

tl;dr: cxwrench is entirely correct.

Incorrect.

Koyote 03-05-21 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard (Post 21953134)
Here's a handy rule on when to use bring and take when it involves movement of an object. When the movement of the object is away from you, take is used. When the movement is toward you, bring is used. I am at my house. CXWrench, bring your bike over to my house, and we'll adjust the derailleur. CXWrench, I am a horrible mechanic, so I'd recommend you take your bike the shop for repair.

When I moved into the NOLA area I realized how pervasive the misuse was. As I have tried to help people, some grasped it better this way. Point to where the object will go. If you are pointing away from where you are, use take.

There are some exceptions, but none that would ever make the above wrong.

Bring here. Take away.

https://www.lexico.com/grammar/bring-or-take

I’ll bet people really appreciate your impromptu grammar lessons. (If you actually teach English grammar for a living, I will remove the snarkiness from that comment.)

For every website showing that your interpretation is correct, I’ll bet I can find one showing that my interpretation is correct. Maybe two. Which is probably why, in common usage, “bring“ and “take“ are usually used interchangeably without any objections. Usually.

WhyFi 03-05-21 08:15 AM

You "bring vs take" people need some perspective.

:innocent:

indyfabz 03-05-21 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21953247)
You "bring vs take" people need some perspective.

:innocent:

I don't know how to bring your comment. Or is it take?