Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   What about Chedech? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1099658)

pericleto 03-04-17 11:10 AM

What about Chedech?

In my search of a really light and sturdy folding bike I ran into this Chedech 5 made of carbon which seems quite the bike I am looking for!

Is there any Chedech user around to share opinions?

My main concerns follow:

* No system for carrying luggage seems to be in place. I would expect something like the front carrier from Brompton, or a front or rear rack for panniers.

* Gear ratio. Internal hub is my choice, but I wonder how will be this Sturmey Archer 5v with 18" wheels compared to my 9v cassette with 20" of my current Tern Link P9.

* No integrated lights system. I would install Reelight I guess.

* No front mudguard, I'm not sure if this is a big deal though.

Please, share opinions!

shrooms 03-04-17 11:43 PM

I googled it and found a discussion about Chedech 5 on another forum where it attracted some interest.
CHEDECH: Quest to design the ultimate folding bike! - BikeRadar Forum

pericleto 03-05-17 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by shrooms (Post 19419400)
I googled it and found a discussion about Chedech 5 on another forum where it attracted some interest.

Thanks, I have read all that post.

Yet I am afraid my concerns remain the same: luggage, lights, front mudguard.

Cheers.

Winfried 03-05-17 06:37 PM

For the same money, or possibly less, ask Ben about building a really light Brompton:

Brompton ? Kinetics

pinholecam 03-05-17 07:30 PM

I know a person with this bike.

To me at least, the issues :
1. Pricey
2. No weight advantage even with the carbon wrt the Brompton and Tyrell Ive
3. The carbon actually only makes up a bit of the frame as the joints (and much of it extending in to the carbon wrap) is still metal.

pericleto 03-06-17 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Winfried (Post 19420921)
For the same money, or possibly less, ask Ben about building a really light Brompton:

Well, according to web Brompton configurators, I would pay 2.173 € for a Brompton made of titanium (the front fork and some other parts only) which weights 10,9 Kg.

You can buy a Chedech by 2.000 € (shipment apart) wich allegedly weights only 9,3 Kg.

pericleto 03-06-17 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by pinholecam (Post 19421070)
I know a person with this bike.

To me at least, the issues :
1. Pricey
2. No weight advantage even with the carbon wrt the Brompton and Tyrell Ive
3. The carbon actually only makes up a bit of the frame as the joints (and much of it extending in to the carbon wrap) is still metal.

Please, see my previous answer to Winfried: Chedech seems to be cheaper and lighter than a titanium Brompton.

By the way, I really appreciate your answers and to know all points of view.

Winfried 03-06-17 04:27 PM

It can be even lighter (wheels, etc.), but may not be worth it.

For just a little more, the Brompton provides the features you asked for, and with a brand that's been around since the 80's. Much better deal.

Also, food for thought:
Tern expands recall of some bikes over frame concerns | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

jur 03-06-17 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by pericleto (Post 19423050)
Well, according to web Brompton configurators, I would pay 2.173 € for a Brompton made of titanium (the front fork and some other parts only) which weights 10,9 Kg.

You can buy a Chedech by 2.000 € (shipment apart) wich allegedly weights only 9,3 Kg.

I suspect the Brompton could be resold at a MUCH higher amount than the Chedech. So in the long run the Brompton is probably significantly cheaper.

pinholecam 03-06-17 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by pericleto (Post 19423054)
Please, see my previous answer to Winfried: Chedech seems to be cheaper and lighter than a titanium Brompton.

By the way, I really appreciate your answers and to know all points of view.

The guy I knew paid a heft sum here for one (almost a year ago).
Around $2.3k IIRC.
Now its around $2000 on clearance.

Yes, a Brompton is expensive, but a Tyrell IVE is not.
The IVE is $1259. (9sp Sora )

Chedech is 9.7kg and the IVE is 11kg.
The usual Carbon vs Steel arguments (depending on pref)

If you prefer Carbon with its pros and cons and willing to pay a bit more, this may be your bike.
(the "bone" of the frame where the fold joints are are metal and extend quite a bit in before the carbon wrap, so the amount of carbon isn't that much imo )

Abu Mahendra 03-06-17 09:33 PM

You can pick up a Chedech in Singapore for a bit under USD1,800.

Originally Posted by pinholecam (Post 19423437)
The guy I knew paid a heft sum here for one (almost a year ago).
Around $2.3k IIRC.
Now its around $2000 on clearance.

Yes, a Brompton is expensive, but a Tyrell IVE is not.
The IVE is $1259. (9sp Sora )

Chedech is 9.7kg and the IVE is 11kg.
The usual Carbon vs Steel arguments (depending on pref)

If you prefer Carbon with its pros and cons and willing to pay a bit more, this may be your bike.
(the "bone" of the frame where the fold joints are are metal and extend quite a bit in before the carbon wrap, so the amount of carbon isn't that much imo )

pericleto 05-06-17 05:58 AM

The big downside of the Chedech is they don't have any luggage rack, which is a key point in my humble opinion.

Luiggi 02-03-18 06:30 AM

Hi Pericleto

...., I guess is quite late, almost a year��

But I've just read this and I couldn't help to write...

After riding Hasa Minimax, Birdy, Oribike CR7, Dahon Speed Pro tt,...., and of course different Brommies Ti..., I can tell hundred per cent sure that Chedech is the best one if you want to cover the best features of the previous ones. 10 points for CHEDECH!!!

This year 2018 they offer apart a rear rag, lights nop, but the new version is really blow minding.

Have a look on insta @chedech_europe.

BRGDS.

tds101 02-03-18 11:38 AM

As much as I personally have no need for a carbon frame, I do love the fold on this bike,...

Winfried 02-03-18 12:51 PM

Luiggi

Joe Remi 02-03-18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Winfried (Post 20148332)
Luiggi

Blow minding.

Luiggi 02-05-18 07:26 AM

engrish???

Luiggi 02-05-18 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Remi (Post 20148363)
Blow minding.

mind blowing..., sorry my En is far from being correct, please accept my apologies.

blakcloud 02-05-18 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Luiggi (Post 20151493)
engrish???

Yes, it is a racist term usually used against those of Asian descent that substitute the letter l for the letter r. If you don't like the comment, report it to the moderators. It's racist.

The other comment about your post count is also irrelevant. EVERYONE starts with one post even they member who wrote about yours started with one post.

Luiggi 02-05-18 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by blakcloud (Post 20151527)
Yes, it is a racist term usually used against those of Asian descent that substitute the letter l for the letter r. If you don't like the comment, report it to the moderators. It's racist.

The other comment about your post count is also irrelevant. EVERYONE starts with one post even they member who wrote about yours started with one post.

Thks blackcloud for your message.

I guess I've just joined a party that I had not been invited. But it happened that I saw by chance the question of this guy about Chedech and I thought I could share some information with him to help him because I have three Che's and I'm very familiar with this folding.

I'm not familiar with the forum and also I have a very weak "engrish" skills :-)..., anyway thks for the post but I better waste my time in other issues..., these guys seem quite a bit aggressive for me.

Revoltingest 02-05-18 05:40 PM

It's about nationality more than race.
For reference....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engrish
Oddly my mother-in-law (from Hangzhou) gave my wife a first name
which she herself couldn't pronounce. (Couldn't get the hang of the "l".)
Anyway, don't worry about language pedants...just roll with the punches.
Your "Engrish" looks good to me. (Much better than my Beijing hua.)

tds101 02-05-18 06:05 PM

Heh,...English is my first and ONLY language,...and I slaughter it on a daily basis!!! :lol:

GTA 05-01-18 09:21 PM

Hi folks, I just got a CHEDECH 5 recently, let me ride it for a couple of days before giving you any proper feedback~~

GTA 05-06-18 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My CHEDECH 5 rides well with the SA 5 speed rear hub. However, it is a little bit more noisy than the SHIMANO Alfine 11 speed hub (of my Tern Verge S11i).
Rear rack is now available as optional, but I always prefer my backpack.

GTA 05-07-18 12:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
compact and light