Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   90s Bridgestone RB1 or 80s Pinarello Treviso? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1187421)

illenvillain 11-05-19 03:33 PM

90s Bridgestone RB1 or 80s Pinarello Treviso?

Im contemplating two bikes. 92 RB1 with shimano 600 tri color components or 84 Pinarello Treviso with campagnolo chorus. the RB1 is in better condition paint wise and is also $100 cheaper. Your input would be much appreciated!

base2 11-05-19 03:36 PM

The RB1. Just because. 26inch road bikes are a rare breed. So, IMO, it's worth it just for that.

late 11-05-19 03:37 PM

The RB1 had tubing designed to be used for bicycles. I've ridden one, it had a lovely ride.

rjhammett 11-05-19 05:06 PM

I own three '80s Pinarellos and a '92 RB-1. I prefer the Pinarellos.

P!N20 11-05-19 05:21 PM

https://i.imgur.com/6rZ8g8R.jpg

RobbieTunes 11-05-19 05:32 PM

I've never heard of either one.

illenvillain 11-06-19 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by rjhammett (Post 21196306)
I own three '80s Pinarellos and a '92 RB-1. I prefer the Pinarellos.

what models are the pinarellos? can you please give me more info on the way the two different bikes ride. thank you!

SJX426 11-06-19 06:14 AM

Both but in a pinch Pinarello every time for a road bike.
Pinarello's ride like Italian's they are. I would love to own a bike that looks nearly new but what is more important is riding it. My Pin look bad from a finish point of view but I still get compliments, even from people in cars passing.
https://live.staticflickr.com/1886/3...26fbf37_4k.jpg
CConversion95, on Flickr

bikemig 11-06-19 07:18 AM

The Pinarello has more snop appeal for sure and it's possibly a better deal for only $100 more than the RB 1. A lot depends on condition though and components. The early 90s RB 1s are cool bikes too.

easyupbug 11-06-19 08:11 AM

I can't really recall my impression of the only RB-1 I had briefly several years ago, I still have a Treviso, Montello and Asolo.

Andy_K 11-06-19 10:33 AM

Are you sure the Pinarello is a Treviso? I ask because Pinarello was based in Treviso (maybe still is?) and so the old decals said "Treviso" for all models. There was a Treviso model, which was pretty nice, but there are also some more humble varieties, which are also nice but lacking some of the bling and maybe a little heavier.

SJX426 11-06-19 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 21197139)
Are you sure the Pinarello is a Treviso? I ask because Pinarello was based in Treviso (maybe still is?) and so the old decals said "Treviso" for all models. There was a Treviso model, which was pretty nice, but there are also some more humble varieties, which are also nice but lacking some of the bling and maybe a little heavier.

Yes there are and I have one, Veneto (?). It differs in what is Panto'd. If it were not for the original paint and the panto on the FD mount and BB, I would not know what it is. Here it is stripped but built. One of the indicators is bottle mounts that are flush with the frame on the down tube only.
https://live.staticflickr.com/8892/1...a637b3a_3k.jpgPinarello Veneto, on Flickr

Manny66 11-06-19 10:50 AM

Pinarellos are notorious for faded peeling paint jobs and bad stickers, they have nickle plated tubing which the paint doesnt like to adhere to and their frame decals are always flaking off, its rare that you dont see a Pinarello with that affliction.

Either way I'd much rather own a chip piainted Pinarello than just about any other bike. As a matter of fact I'm riding my Pinarello Gavia up a few hills today.

himespau 11-06-19 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by chuckk (Post 21197174)
my rb-1 is the only japanese bike i've owned that felt like an italian bike.
Older pinarellos all lose their decals, and their paint could be poor.
Lots of pinarellos seem to have been raced in their day, maybe not the rb-1's.
What's it worth is pointless without photos, price, fit, blah blah blah.

+1

I'm also assuming that the Pinarello has downtube shifters while the rb-1 might have integrated shifter/brake levers. Which mechanism do you prefer?

illenvillain 11-06-19 01:16 PM

Looks like its the Pinarello, I've wanted both for a while so I dont think I can go wrong with either. Now can someone tell me what a fair price would be for a 84 Treviso with Campy Chorus, some paint chips and barely visible decals?

SJX426 11-06-19 01:52 PM

@illenvillain Maybe you should post in the appraisal forum. I can tell you that I paid less than $500 for the Montello pictured above in the office. It had 740x DA stuff on it with index down tube shifters. Stopped me from thinking critically of Shimano. Damn good group. The only Campy on it was the head set. Click on the link to Flickr to see more details of the condition. It hasn't changed much.
I didn't buy it for the appearance. I bought it for the name and reputation. I am not disappointed in the price I paid or the ride I got. Like it even more with the ergo's. The bike in the picture is with over 6000 mile on it after purchase.

Manny66 11-06-19 08:41 PM

The Pinarello on top of Turnbull Canyon.https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...aaba6f2a55.jpg

T-Mar 11-07-19 10:00 AM

The Pinarello is definitely going to have better street credibility but as noted the Bridgestone will retain it looks better than a Pinarello. The Bridegestone's eclectic Peterson component mix doesn't help (600 Ultegra with bar end shifters and Dia-Compe 300 side-pull brakes, when it could have been spec'd with matching brifters and dual pivot brakes). Still, it got SIS and aHyperglide freehub, which I'd take any day over Chorus with Syncro and a freewheel hub. This is a very hard decision without being able to see the actual bicycles and their respective condition.

horatio 11-07-19 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by illenvillain (Post 21197429)
Looks like its the Pinarello, I've wanted both for a while so I dont think I can go wrong with either. Now can someone tell me what a fair price would be for a 84 Treviso with Campy Chorus, some paint chips and barely visible decals?

I bought one like that a few years back for $300. Thought it was a fair price. I’d recommend riding both before deciding.

TiHabanero 11-07-19 05:51 PM

You made the correct choice. The Pinarello is more of the pure bred of the two. Sold Bstone for 5 years at the shop, and rode an RB1 for a summer. A very good riding bike, but (there is always a but) it is not the same ride as the Pino. It is not as sharp a bike ride wise. The RB1 feels like a capable bike, the Pino feels like an Italian pure bred. Quick, but not overly quick. Solid, but not harsh. The Chorus is a delight and has much better aesthetics than the Tricolor (which I see as ugly anyway).

Enjoy your new ride!

Kent T 11-07-19 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by T-Mar (Post 21198580)
The Pinarello is definitely going to have better street credibility but as noted the Bridgestone will retain it looks better than a Pinarello. The Bridegestone's eclectic Peterson component mix doesn't help (600 Ultegra with bar end shifters and Dia-Compe 300 side-pull brakes, when it could have been spec'd with matching brifters and dual pivot brakes). Still, it got SIS and aHyperglide freehub, which I'd take any day over Chorus with Syncro and a freewheel hub. This is a very hard decision without being able to see the actual bicycles and their respective condition.

As a Bridgestone owner, though of pre Peterson era and lower middle of the line (But Bridgestone even then was like that on component choices), and a Pinarello steel era admirer, I would agree with what you say to the word. Bridgestones are very well made bicycles as a rule, with very fine workmanship, sensible just work component choices, and Bridgestone paint work and finishes are leagues better than most Italian bikes of the era. What the Bridgestone lacks in street cred and snob appeal, will be paid back in overall performance and overall reliability with good maintenance. I ride a Bridgestone many miles in a year, the bike works for me, and doesn't give me problems. I'd agree about the 600 Ultegra being better shifting, and less problematic than Chorus with Synchro.