Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   COVID has increased price of carbon road bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1224023)

MyTi 02-18-21 10:19 PM

COVID has increased price of carbon road bikes

I am seeing a general price increase in road bikes, from entry level aluminum, to pro level carbon, to master class titanium road bikes. Essentially, prices have increased across the board and they are becoming more ridiculous with the heightened demand, as gyms remain closed. A carbon synapse road bike with full ultegra just a year ago you could find on a closeout sale for $1500. Fast forward to today and you are easily spending $3700 plus tax at the same LBS. Road bikes in general have become more expensive year after year. And I would say most carbon road bikes are quite overpriced. Aero road carbon bikes, have become the most recent trend offering miniscule performance over a standard carbon road bike with the same geometry.

Greiselman 02-18-21 11:04 PM

When demand exceeds supply, prices rise.

veganbikes 02-18-21 11:18 PM

Yes prices are increasing as costs are increasing as well. This is a different world and some normal shipping channels are down, getting everything is harder (except the 'rona that you can get easily) so things have got to change.

Yes a closeout bike is going to be a lot cheaper than a new bike not on sale that is always the case the pandemic hasn't changed that. Also the price of gas is different than it was in 1949 as well as a loaf of bread. Prices don't generally stay the same as things go up in price as time moves on as inflation changes and all of that. Certainly the pandemic has maybe elevated things a bit more but not for all bikes.

HenryK 02-18-21 11:56 PM

Look at Lumber if you want to see price increase, ouch

mstateglfr 02-19-21 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by MyTi (Post 21930824)
A carbon synapse road bike with full ultegra just a year ago you could find on a closeout sale for $1500. Fast forward to today and you are easily spending $3700 plus tax at the same LBS.

A closeout sale ultegra carbon synapse for $1500 would have been a steal and is a distant exception on the pricing spectrum.

Your quote is basically comparing a heavily discounted season ending bike during a time of low demand to a preseason/inseason bike during a time of higher demand.
Thats a pretty bad comparison.

Many of the major brands have announced over the last few months that prices would increase due to coats increasing. Labor costs, materials costs, transportation costs, etc.

Cyclist0108 02-19-21 12:18 AM

Propane went up 70% due to its use to heat outdoor dining areas.

znomit 02-19-21 02:42 AM

I need titanium to be master class level?

Sy Reene 02-19-21 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21930896)
A closeout sale ultegra carbon synapse for $1500 would have been a steal and is a distant exception on the pricing spectrum.

Your quote is basically comparing a heavily discounted season ending bike during a time of low demand to a preseason/inseason bike during a time of higher demand.

Maybe the point was that there's currently no such thing as a 'season-ending' discount any more?

mstateglfr 02-19-21 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 21931040)
Maybe the point was that there's currently no such thing as a 'season-ending' discount any more?

I wouldnt say that was the OP's point, based on what was posted. It sure seemed like the rant was complaining about an overall increase in price since they complain about an overall increase in price in road bikes at all levels.

I am seeing a general price increase in road bikes, from entry level aluminum, to pro level carbon, to master class titanium road bikes. Essentially, prices have increased across the board and they are becoming more ridiculous with the heightened demand, as gyms remain closed.
Road bikes in general have become more expensive year after year. And I would say most carbon road bikes are quite overpriced.

noodle soup 02-19-21 07:46 AM

:popcorn

Marcus_Ti 02-19-21 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Greiselman (Post 21930863)
When demand exceeds supply, prices rise.

Prices have been rising for years and years. Even without demand; and they never go down. During the gas price hikes last decade where there weren't even fuel shortages, retail prices practically doubled. When fuel prices returned to their 'normal' values, guess what? Old Normal retail prices never resumed.

shelbyfv 02-19-21 08:10 AM

Price of toilet paper went up about March of last year....

WhyFi 02-19-21 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21931098)
I wouldnt say that was the OP's point, based on what was posted. It sure seemed like the rant was complaining about an overall increase in price since they complain about an overall increase in price in road bikes at all levels.

The OP is a thinly veiled excuse to shake a fist and tell the kids (on their carbon bikes) to get off his lawn.

Velo Vol 02-19-21 09:22 AM

I would say most carbon road bikes are quite overpriced.

Show your work.

Reflector Guy 02-19-21 09:50 AM

I am seeing a general price increase in road bikes, from entry level aluminum, to pro level carbon, to master class titanium road bikes. Essentially, prices have increased across the board...

So, all bikes really? Not just carbon?

Tycho Brahe 02-19-21 09:55 AM

I pretty much buy everything on sale, so for me, discounts are a baseline. Winter 2020 has finally going to be the time I was going to get a second bike, so not only cannot I not find a bike, but to go from discount to increased price is shocking. My current bike was 54% off at Competitive Cyclist.

WhyFi 02-19-21 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy (Post 21931365)
So, all bikes really? Not just carbon?

Well, it's only problematic for carbon, because it's overpriced. Metal is undervalued and this is just a well-deserved price correction, obviously.

Reflector Guy 02-19-21 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21931378)
Well, it's only problematic for carbon, because it's overpriced. Metal is undervalued and this is just a well-deserved price correction, obviously.

Reminds me of the old saying: "No one goes there any more, because it's too crowded!"

mstateglfr 02-19-21 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe (Post 21931377)
I pretty much buy everything on sale, so for me, discounts are a baseline. Winter 2020 has finally going to be the time I was going to get a second bike, so not only cannot I not find a bike, but to go from discount to increased price is shocking. My current bike was 54% off at Competitive Cyclist.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/c...t.html?fl=true
Discounted bikes and frames at the same place you bought your current bike from.

Tycho Brahe 02-19-21 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21931397)
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/c...t.html?fl=true
Discounted bikes and frames at the same place you bought your current bike from.

Currently, there are four road bikes in total. FOUR. Discount ranges from 5%-10%. Apples and oranges. Cheapest bike is almost $5K. Zero of them in my size. Any other year, a person would have a selection to choose from.

DaveSSS 02-19-21 10:25 AM

I never buy a complete bike. I buy frames and build them up with the parts I want. My latest Cinelli superstars would cost about $4300 each with force axs disc and Fulcrum racing 3 wheels and high level post,bars and saddle. The $1700 MSRP frames cost $1030 each, with free shipping and no sales tax. 2021 frames are just over $2000.

Ogsarg 02-19-21 10:28 AM

People seem to forget that products are generally not priced based on their cost to produce. They are priced based on what the market will pay. This is why we have marketing as a profession; to understand what the customer wants (and will pay a lot for) and to drive what the customer wants. If we priced things based on costs, a can of Red Bull would probably cost 10 cents.

The pandemic is fueling a demand for a lot of things that people can enjoy while staying safe and not breaking any rules. Bikes, RV's, classic cars, backyard recreation projects, etc.

At some point the pandemic related demand will subside and the year-end deals and sales will return.

AlmostTrick 02-19-21 10:30 AM

COVID has increased price of carbon road bikes

Thanks for the update, I still don't want one.

mstateglfr 02-19-21 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe (Post 21931412)
Currently, there are four road bikes in total. FOUR. Discount ranges from 5%-10%. Apples and oranges. Cheapest bike is almost $5K. Zero of them in my size. Any other year, a person would have a selection to choose from.

It is unfortunate that you are unable to find the bike you want in the size you want for the price you want.