Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Electric front wheel? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1173417)

SuperBarry 05-19-19 12:00 PM

Electric front wheel?

Hi Everyone!

I saw this video the other day: youtu.be/zySO8uhwvi4
In this video an electric front wheel is attached to a bike in minutes, and powers the bike with up to 15mph speed.

Now, this thing doesn't look very official, is not available in any mayor retailer and definitely does not look waterproof. So I was wondering if there's anything like this that is more legit, or if there's any other way to boost a bike with some electric power without buying a very expensive e-bike. I really don't need 15mph of power, but if I could get a 5 mph boost that would be fantastic.

Best,
Barry

phughes 05-19-19 12:39 PM

Great first post. :rolleyes: Are you the YouTuber trying to get more views, or the one making and selling the electric front wheel?

alcjphil 05-19-19 01:08 PM

OK, he lost me in the first few seconds when he referred to the front wheel as a "tire". Colour me "elitist" if you want, but don't try to sell me anything using inaccurate terms. Stupid advertising.

SuperBarry 05-19-19 02:05 PM

Really? What the hell are you guys talking about... I wrote "this thing doesn't look very official, is not available in any mayor retailer and definitely does not look waterproof."and then ask for any alternative, and you think I'm advertising this product? Seriously? Must be the worst marketeer in history then.
Also, you definitely don't know how YouTube works if you think I'm a YouTuber with 200k subs trying to get views on a video from 2017 that already almost has a million views, by posting it on some random bike forum. This makes no sense.

I was honestly just looking for a fun electric front wheel solution but I guess I'm sorry for asking a bike related question on your bike forum then... wtf.

Dan Burkhart 05-19-19 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by SuperBarry (Post 20937409)
I was honestly just looking for a fun electric front wheel solution.

You may find a better reception and more useful info on the Electric bikes sub forum. https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-bikes/

phughes 05-19-19 10:59 PM

Well, your very first post was promoting a product, or the YouTube post, so... the response.

Kapusta 05-20-19 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by phughes (Post 20937290)
Great first post. :rolleyes: Are you the YouTuber trying to get more views, or the one making and selling the electric front wheel?

If he is shilling, he is not very good at it.

One does not usually advertise one’s products by questioning its legitimacy and talking about how it is too expensive.

Shimagnolo 05-20-19 06:19 AM

One does not simply ride into iMortor

fietsbob 05-20-19 08:04 AM

generically

It is a way to put a motor on for covering ground ..

But for hills really you need mid drives* to gain gearing options offered by the rear wheel ..

* Retrofits, in place of the crankset..

phughes 05-20-19 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 20938178)

One does not usually advertise one’s products by questioning its legitimacy and talking about how it is too expensive.

True, but he may be shilling for the YouTube hits, not necessarily the product. I'm just always skeptical of first posts that include links to a product or YouTube video.

Juggy_Gales 05-20-19 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo (Post 20938210)
One does not simply ride into iMortor

HAHAHAHAHA :roflmao:

autonomy 05-20-19 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kapusta (Post 20938178)

Dunno, could be some sort of clever new-age reverse marketing. "Look at this product, it sucks" = flamewar ensues between people defending it and people bashing it = views and publicity.

Kapusta 05-20-19 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by autonomy (Post 20938969)
Dunno, could be some sort of clever new-age reverse marketing. "Look at this product, it sucks" = flamewar ensues between people defending it and people bashing it = views and publicity.

It has worked before....

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...88ee12ac4a.png

luevelvet 05-21-19 05:05 AM

Someone asks a legit question and everyone gets on his *** for being a shill? Grow up folks lol.

indyfabz 05-21-19 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by luevelvet (Post 20940083)
Grow up folks lol.

Where would be the fun in that?

P.S. You put the bunny in the hat by presuming the question is legit.

phughes 05-21-19 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by luevelvet (Post 20940083)
Someone asks a legit question and everyone gets on his *** for being a shill? Grow up folks lol.

He didn't ask a question.

luevelvet 05-21-19 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by phughes (Post 20940610)
He didn't ask a question.

It may not have ended with a question mark but...

Originally Posted by SuperBarry (Post 20937237)
So I was wondering if there's anything like this that is more legit, or if there's any other way to boost a bike with some electric power without buying a very expensive e-bike.