Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Favorite Tubular glue or tape? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1188087)

reconnaissance 11-15-19 10:46 PM

Favorite Tubular glue or tape?

What’s your favorite tubular glue?
What’s your favorite tubular tape?
Why?

AnkleWork 11-15-19 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by reconnaissance (Post 21211173)
What’s your favorite tubular glue?
What’s your favorite tubular tape?
Why?

You first.

reconnaissance 11-16-19 07:53 AM

Tubasti is the only one I’ve ever used.

Wildwood 11-16-19 09:34 AM

I can't say 'favorite' because everything I have used just worked.
Glue brands used = mostly Continental, also Vittoria's mastik and Challenge's rim cement.
Tape = used the Velox tape, but only once.

after finishing with my current supply of glue, probably going to tape more.

I'm running over a dozen sets of aluminum tubulars.

edit: No experience with carbon wheels.

mackgoo 11-16-19 09:55 AM

Tufo tape. I've been using it for 20 years, cross and road. No issues.

reconnaissance 11-16-19 09:41 PM

Ok. Tape is intriguing to me. I once worked at an aircraft maintenance facility and there encountered this white tape that held the floor carpeting in place on a commercial airliner that could almost pull the skin off my finger, it was so sticky. I figured something like that might work well on tubulars.

speedevil 11-17-19 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by reconnaissance (Post 21212218)
Ok. Tape is intriguing to me. I once worked at an aircraft maintenance facility and there encountered this white tape that held the floor carpeting in place on a commercial airliner that could almost pull the skin off my finger, it was so sticky. I figured something like that might work well on tubulars.

2 things:

1. you may need to remove the tub from the rim on the road if you get a flat and the sealant doesn't repair it.

2. If the tape loses it's adhesive qualities when heated, you may have a serious problem on a long descent if you have rim brakes.

I have used Panaracer glue and the Effetto tape. The tape is much less messy and so far the adhesion is very good. It ain't cheap, but neither is dental surgery if the tub rolls off the rim - especially a front rim.

Road Fan 11-17-19 07:14 PM

In the past I've liked Vittoria Mastik better than Continental. Better than those was Tufo Extreme, but I think Velox Jantex tape is the best so far.

I should add, I have not, even in ancient history, found a tire adhesive that does not work. The comparison is kind of similar to which bottled water is best?

But Tufo extreme is too tight and hard to pull off the tire, where Jantex holds but can be pulled on the road. I've found Conti works better on cheap conti tires than Vittoria does, and both work well on high-quality tires. Lennard Zinn and John Forester both said to use a butter knife to scrape rubber off the base tape, maybe that WAS an important step.

reconnaissance 11-17-19 07:18 PM

Thanks Dale. I’ll definitely keep it in mind on the downhills. By the way, your sig line appears to contain an amateur radio call sign.

tcarl 11-17-19 11:03 PM

I've been using Tufo gluing tape for years now. I've found it works well on Tufo and Continental tires, but with the Continental I have to ride them a little farther (.25 mile) to get it to really stick well. I'm under the impression it won't work on some other brands. My experience with the Tufo tape is that it will be four years before it softens up enough to pull a tire off easily, so I carry sealant for flats and a steel tire iron to pry away at it if I absolutely have to get the tire off.

speedevil 11-18-19 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by reconnaissance (Post 21213165)
Thanks Dale. I’ll definitely keep it in mind on the downhills. By the way, your sig line appears to contain an amateur radio call sign.

Yes it does - extra class amateur radio.

reconnaissance 11-18-19 06:32 PM

Well, 73’s then. N5VYX, general class.