Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Utility Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=261)
-   -   What wheels do I need for a cargo bike? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1147108)

CosmicCycling 06-16-18 11:28 PM

What wheels do I need for a cargo bike?

Building a cargo bike, front load with two wheels on the front. I would like to use smaller wheels, as it gives more room to use in the cargo area, rather than having two large wheels sticking to far up. I plan on using 20 inch wheels on the cargo area.

Main question, what is stronger? Getting two kids bikes wheels, or using bike trailer wheels?

I want to make sure that the wheels will be able to hold and last in the cargo area, up to 200 lbs. I feel like kids wheels are better, since trailer wheels are generally thinner and meant for lighter loads.

Gareth 06-18-18 11:59 PM

Neither.

What you need is double walled 20" BMX wheels with 36 spokes and 14mm (9/16ths) axles.
This will give you all the strength you need along with a wider selection of tyres to choose from.

Alternatively you can follow my lead and use 36 hole hubs with 14mm axles and have them built with Moped rims, which is a much stronger and better option all round in my opinion and is what I use when building cargo bikes and delta mule trikes, For the tadpole trikes and quads I use 36 hole 1/2" stub axle Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs with moped rims.

CosmicCycling 06-19-18 10:36 PM

Okay, but I can not be spending hundreds on just two front wheels. I do want support and strength.
So would getting BMX tires be a better option? I can find them online for a decent print per wheel.

Gareth 06-20-18 11:01 AM

You can buy alloy double walled 36 spoke 14mm axle BMX front wheels ready made from about $45.00 apiece from ebay and amazon.

However, if you are supporting the axle on both sides of the wheel as many of the these commercially made mule delta trikes are, then a 3/8th axle will suffice, and these can be purchased for around $30.00 each.

Don't skimp or penny-pinch on the wheels …………. they are what makes a cargo bike happen!

CosmicCycling 06-20-18 01:47 PM

Me, in Canada, it is hundreds. While I can find the wheels on ebay, they are much more pricey, or does not ship to Canada.
Buying parts in Canada is a huge pain.

fietsbob 06-24-18 11:08 AM

Must fabricate a steering system using 2 forks,
or you have to budget for single side mounted hubs and build font end around those.

Christiania trikes, build box and wheels as a unit with handle bar on the back of the box ,

steering, head tube angle, near vertical of course..

CosmicCycling 06-25-18 05:22 PM

Yes, the two fork style is what I am planning on building into it. Much more strength than just the regular bike handlebar with the one pole. The design I found is from an another bicycle company that makes their own cargo style bike. Theirs is built like a tank, huge tires and frame, it looks awesome. But way to much for what I need, haha. But the style of the handlebar and frame for it is much better, so will be making something similar.
That single side mount is very interesting, and would look a lot cleaner. I will add this to my list of options, thank you :)