Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Gravel helmets? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176397)

Cyclist0108 06-22-19 10:17 PM

Gravel helmets?

I'm surprised this isn't yet a niche, overpriced market.

But I am curious, do you tend to use your road bike helmet, or mountain bike helmet, or something different?

BluFalconActual 06-23-19 06:09 AM

I’m sure helmet makers are in the process of creating them as we speak. Probably will be a standard road helmet painted in an earth tone color with some gimmick to differentiate it from a normal road helmet, like a banana holder.

When Rapha creates a dusty pink and olive banana unicorn looking helmet, I totally expect a check in the mail.

Cyclist0108 06-23-19 08:42 AM

I've been using my road bike helmet, mainly because my off-road trips are almost always integrated with on-road segments, and also a mountain bike visor limits my range of vision.

wheelsmcgee 06-23-19 09:40 AM

I’m having difficulty coming up with any safety needs of gravel riding that’s not adequately addressed by existing road/MTB helmets. Around here, maybe an ideal gravel helmet would have an integrated dust mask? 😂

I’m sure if there is any feature which gives the slightest improved experience for gravel riding, it will be inevitable that we see gravel helmets, and that’s a good thing. It’s like the recurrent theme from some road/MTB riders about gravel/adventure bikes as a made-up category to sell more bikes...yes, you don’t “need” a gravel bike to ride gravel, but if you are looking for a bike and a gravel bike happens to be the best single tool for the job, why would buy something else?

BluFalconActual 06-23-19 10:31 AM

In all seriousness, I think if/when they come up with gravel specific helmets, they’ll be a lot like the POC Octal X. Labeled as an XC MTB helmet but looks very similar to their standard Octal road lid but with a little more impact protection.

trailangel 06-23-19 01:18 PM

Why more impact protection for gravel? Wouldn't you be ok with less.... dirt road is softer than asphalt or cement.

Hmmm 06-23-19 01:35 PM

Road helmet with cycling cap. Always. Drop bars = road helmet.

Flat bars = wear one of those silly visor helmet thingys? I dunno.

BluFalconActual 06-23-19 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by trailangel (Post 20992812)
Why more impact protection for gravel? Wouldn't you be ok with less.... dirt road is softer than asphalt or cement.

I’m not saying it’s what I want, but I can totally see helmet company’s using that as a marketing angle.

mstateglfr 06-23-19 04:05 PM

Maybe I am missing something, but why would there be a need for anything beyond a regular helmet from the shop/store?

If the difference between a road and mtb helmet is a plastic visor, then wear the helmet whichever way you want and go ride gravel.

If a gravel helmet comes out, the shark officially will have been jumped.

TimothyH 06-23-19 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hmmm (Post 20992823)
Road helmet with cycling cap. Always. Drop bars = road helmet.

Flat bars = wear one of those silly visor helmet thingys? I dunno.

This makes absolute sense to me.

-Tim-

Rides4Beer 06-24-19 08:41 AM

I wear my road helmet, and my road kits. I have noticed brands starting to market "gravel" clothing, just looks like slightly baggier road kits.

ksryder 06-24-19 09:06 AM

Full face motorcycle helmet, natch.

Caliper 06-24-19 09:24 AM

I have a helmet. It fits my head. My head is no different shape or size when I ride paved roads or gravel roads or trails.

OneIsAllYouNeed 06-24-19 09:39 AM

I wear my fat bike helmet on my gravel bike.

rumrunn6 06-24-19 09:45 AM

when I'm off road & sometimes when I'm on a desolated paved trail, or one that is not busy, I'll use a grey helmet that is less conspicuous. my road helmets are yellow or have yellow highlights

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...552d163bef.jpg

Metieval 06-24-19 09:54 AM

if Gravel riding includes pavement then road helmet

if gravel riding includes some single track then use a mtb helmet.

if gravel riding includes pavement and single track then use a mtb helmet.

Honestly i have used a road helmet for mtb'ing.

ksryder 06-24-19 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed (Post 20994125)
I wear my fat bike helmet on my gravel bike.

I wear my fat bike on my gravel bike.

pbass 06-24-19 11:21 AM

I too use a road helmet, usually with a cycling cap with a visor I can flip up. Started out riding my gravel bikes with a mtb helmet but the fixed visor didn't work for me on a drop bar bike.

mstateglfr 06-24-19 11:31 AM

So all this talk has made me hyper aware of using my helmet without a visor on MTB trails. Oh geez, what do all the people who are passing me because they ride singletrack faster than me thinking when they pass me?!? Now I need to care about how they view both my riding AND my choice in helmet!!

Eek!***

TimothyH 06-24-19 12:23 PM

Decisions...

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...917a0e4131.jpg

xroadcharlie 06-24-19 12:55 PM

Gravel helmets?

Wouldn't that be uncomfortable!

Koyote 06-24-19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by xroadcharlie (Post 20994540)
Gravel helmets?

Wouldn't that be uncomfortable!

*rimshot*

I rode the Hilly Billy Roubaix this past weekend, and there was a large and nasty crash about nine mile in. Came at the bottom of a descent and involved about seven people. Sounds like many suffered broken bones (I think ribs, clavicles, at least one nose, shoulder injuries) and two people were still being evaluated about a day later. Crashes may be more likely in such a setting, but I think anything that would make a helmet safer for gravel riding would also make it safer for regular road riding.

TimothyH 06-24-19 02:36 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...180faf9ba2.jpg

Leebo 06-24-19 02:53 PM

I wear my down country helmet.

FlashBazbo 06-24-19 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 20992079)
I'm surprised this isn't yet a niche, overpriced market.

But I am curious, do you tend to use your road bike helmet, or mountain bike helmet, or something different?

Whatever I want. That's the cool thing about gravel . . . no need to make a fashion statement.

But if you're asking for advice, I understand Trek came out with something that changed cycling forever. You ought to give it a try!