Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fitting Your Bike (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=329)
-   -   Fit and Saddle Sore? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1181938)

Tandem Tom 08-24-19 05:41 AM

Fit and Saddle Sore?

How common would a poor fit be in causing a saddle sore? Would the saddle being to far forward be a culprit?

phughes 08-24-19 12:39 PM

Saddle height and tilt is often a cause of saddle sores. If you are not stable on the seat, you will have friction. If the seat is too high, you will generally compensate by dropping one side, which can be the cause of recurring saddle sores on one side. Too far forward? Possible. Get your fit rights and beware a too high saddle. I had saddles sores on tours, until I dropped my saddle height. Now I am much more comfortable, and had no saddle sores on my last tour in June. Once you get it right, ignore anyone who tells you your seat is too low. https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

BengalCat 08-24-19 06:22 PM

Anything in the fit that doesn't properly set you on the saddle will cause problems. One sign of a good all-around fit besides comfort is that you will naturally and comfortably be balanced on the bike and therefore tend to be "anchored" to the one and same spot on the saddle.

As far as saddle height being off, modestly too high or even a little too high is worse than being correspondingly too low.

phughes 08-25-19 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by BengalCat (Post 21090906)

As far as saddle height being off, modestly too high or even a little too high is worse than being correspondingly too low.

I really have to respectfully disagree with that. A too high saddle can cause all sorts of very serious problems, saddle sore being the least of them.

That being said, I take it you have a Bengal. I have one as well. Very interesting animals to say the least. :roflmao2:

smashndash 08-28-19 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by phughes (Post 21091522)
I really have to respectfully disagree with that. A too high saddle can cause all sorts of very serious problems, saddle sore being the least of them.

That being said, I take it you have a Bengal. I have one as well. Very interesting animals to say the least. :roflmao2:

How are you disagreeing? It seems like both of you (and almost literally everyone who knows anything about bike fits) agrees that too low is better than too high.

phughes 08-29-19 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by smashndash (Post 21097536)
How are you disagreeing? It seems like both of you (and almost literally everyone who knows anything about bike fits) agrees that too low is better than too high.

Sorry, I misread what you wrote. I needed more coffee. I thought you wrote that modestly too high was preferable.

Carbonfiberboy 08-30-19 12:43 PM

Besides too high, another thing I see is rocking on the saddle during pedaling even with the saddle at correct height. Some people just lean from side to side as they push down on the pedals. Solution there is to stop doing that. Pedal with a more even pedal pressure 3/4 the way around the circle. No upper body movement.

diff 09-03-19 06:08 AM

I don't think too far forward would cause a saddle sore alone unless you are constantly pushing yourself back.

Try another saddle. If you have a grippy one, try one more slippery. Or if you have a slippery saddle, try one with more grip. Sizing and shape of the saddle could also be an issue.

Location of the sore would give you the most information. Probably TMI for this thread, but a fitter could help and loan you some saddles also. In any case, I would swap out saddles and see if anything changes.

sumgy 09-03-19 03:38 PM

Saddle too far forward would more likely cause sore quads.
I will go with saddle is too high and you are rocking from side to side, reaching with one leg or both.