Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Trek Checkpoint Power Meter Options (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1222595)

bigevil 01-28-21 03:26 PM

Right Side Power Meter Options

Thanks in advance for any advice,
I've got a 2020 Trek Checkpoint SL6 [so Ultegra and not GRX] and looking into the dizzying array of power meter options typically debated here.

This is further complicated by the Checkpoints clearance issues so a left side crank based power meter sadly isn't an option (thus no dual sided crank options either).

My choices seem to be: (please correct me if I'm missing anything!)
1-4ii right side factory install [$299]
2-Quarq DFour Dub fitted to Force AXS GXP arms and their PF90 Bottom Bracket [$624] (this setup suggested by quarq for my Ultegra)
3-Stages right side [$599]

3-SRM pedals [single sided is $899.......]

pros and cons to all here

-the pedals are way expensive (and not available for purchase). I also may switch to the SPD-SL format if I continue mostly riding road (right now I'm like 90/10 road/gravel).

-the 4iii requires shipping my setup so no riding while it's gone, and I am concerned about right side only accuracy (someone please feel free to tell me I'm wrong here).

-Quarq which seems like best option atm will make a cosmetic mess of my crank [not that bothered by it but still.......] also some have said their BB and crank arms kinda suck compared to what I'm running stock now.

so bottom line, I come to you friendly folk for any thoughts and opinions. Is having a right side only vibe going to be inaccurate? I'm still a newbie, can barely crack 30 mile rides and a pathetic FTP, so not doing anything other than trying to get better (no pro or serious racing ambitions here).

seinberg 02-03-21 01:24 PM

Pedals are the easiest and most transferable, for example if you get a new bike. You can typically find them on Facebook Marketplace or get deals once in a while. Garmin Vector 3 or the Assioma power meter pedals are great options. They're in stock at Power Meter City right now, if you're in the US at any rate.

bigevil 02-03-21 01:37 PM

Thanks ! great tip.
I wanna stay SPD and not SPD-SL so I think I'm quite limited unless I wanna try the new IQ MTB pedals. (which look SWEET but don't ship until mid 2021)
I'm thinking Stages right side is the best way to start training with power, then as I grow I'll expand from there!

seinberg 02-03-21 01:43 PM

Got it, then yes, that does limit your options. I wouldn't bank on the IQ pedals -- they have been notorious for delays on the product.

bigevil 02-03-21 01:48 PM

ty ! helpful!

topflightpro 02-03-21 01:48 PM

There is no discernable quality difference between your Ultegra crank and a Quarq crank.

bigevil 02-03-21 01:51 PM

I hear that, I've heard that the bottom brackets aren't as good. but suppose there are as many opinions as options!

Atlas Shrugged 02-03-21 06:33 PM

Don’t forget Power2Max. Dead reliable and just work. Prices are good as well.

bigevil 02-17-21 03:48 PM

Do they do 167.55mm ? that would solve a lot of problems for me tbh!

jadocs 02-19-21 10:59 AM

I would look at the Favero Assioma Duo's. You will not find another power meter that is "more" accurate as these are bang on every time, and best bang for the buck. To my knowledge there is not PM Pedals that take SPD unless they have been modified. If you are willing to change pedal bodies you can change the Assioma's to SPD very easily. Just do a search....That Llama guy walks you through it in a couple of his videos.

jadocs 02-19-21 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bigevil (Post 21908200)
I wanna try the new IQ MTB pedals. (which look SWEET but don't ship until mid 2021)

Oh heck no....search DCR and Llama reviews. I would do the Assioma conversion for sure if that is the direction you are going.

bigevil 02-19-21 11:19 AM

Went with the Quarq DFour Dub w 167.5mm GXP Crank Arms fitted to my Ultegra setup. It's ugly AF but rock solid!!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0534c9391.jpeg