Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   SRAM Force? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=457845)

dagna 08-24-08 04:22 PM

SRAM Force?

I have the opportunity to get a SRAM Force group, minus the brakes, from the manufacturer as part of a team deal. I ride a 2005 Trek 2100 with mostly 105 components. I'm not good at wrenching, but my LBS says they can switch the components on my bike for around $100. The group would cost me about $600. As a pretty much recreational rider who averages 75 miles a week, is it worth it to upgrade my 105 to SRAM Force?

Dubbayoo 08-24-08 04:28 PM

If the group has 4,000-5,000 miles on it, maybe.

enjoi07 08-24-08 04:28 PM

eh...id say not if you can't swich em yourself....08 force goes for $900 on ebay right now...so $600 is a good deal....but$100 for someone else to have the fun of puting the group on.... Just learn how to switch out the group yourself...you get to know every inch of your bike, how it works, and if you dont feel something is right at the end take it in for tune up wich wont cost $100.

Medpilot 08-24-08 06:47 PM

Force over 105? In a heartbeat! And switching it out yourself is not as hard as you might think.

ShadowGray 08-24-08 06:55 PM

Have you upgraded the wheels yet? Wheels before components..

Dubbayoo 08-24-08 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by enjoi07 (Post 7334102)
eh...id say not if you can't swich em yourself....08 force goes for $900 on ebay right now...so $600 is a good deal....but$100 for someone else to have the fun of puting the group on.... Just learn how to switch out the group yourself...you get to know every inch of your bike, how it works, and if you dont feel something is right at the end take it in for tune up wich wont cost $100.

the tools will cost that.

BarracksSi 08-24-08 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ShadowGray (Post 7334920)
Have you upgraded the wheels yet? Wheels before components..

I wouldn't skip out on a sweet deal, though. Deals come and go; the wheels can come later.

sers 08-24-08 07:38 PM

Is this the '09 Force or the '08? I'm guessing a lot of places are looking to clear out old stock before the new groups hit.

dagna 08-24-08 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by sers (Post 7335267)
Is this the '09 Force or the '08? I'm guessing a lot of places are looking to clear out old stock before the new groups hit.

The order form says it's 2009.

I haven't upgraded the wheels yet, though I could use the money for that, too--it's just that I can upgrade the wheels at any time, while there's a deadline on deciding whether to go for this SRAM deal or not.

flirtwitdirt 08-24-08 08:02 PM

As long as we're on the subject, would the force shifters work with shimano dura ace rear derailleur? Prob a newb question :D

umd 08-24-08 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by flirtwitdirt (Post 7335442)
As long as we're on the subject, would the force shifters work with shimano dura ace rear derailleur? Prob a newb question :D

no

Val23708 08-24-08 08:30 PM

new parts do come with instructions. if you have a set of hex wrenches, there really arn't many more tools you may need.

palesaint 08-24-08 08:51 PM

Have you had a chance to ride a bike with Force? It is an extremely slick system, but might not be for everyone. For me, the double tap technology is da bomb. I love getting out of the saddle on a steep climb and being able to almost effortlessly down/upshift with the same finger motion. It's just awesome.

If you haven't at least tried it, definitely consider it. You'll know then if it's worth it. Only problem is knowing that Rival is cheaper and not much heavier and that Red is out there. Oh, and +1 to doing the install youself. You'll learn heeps and have fun doing it.

Tapeworm21 08-24-08 09:01 PM

Went from Rival to Red on my bike. Can't tell a difference between the two just to let you know. Yeah, trim on the front, but I don't worry about it at all.

enjoi07 08-24-08 11:27 PM

does the rival make that cool noise that red does....i dont know for some reason i like it

Skewer 08-24-08 11:53 PM

What does it matter whether or not he does the install himself? Even having the LBS install it, he still saves $200 over that low Ebay price for Force that someone mentioned, not to mention a heck of a lot of time he may not have right now.

enjoi07 08-24-08 11:57 PM

takes two hours .... considering beer breaks

enjoi07 08-24-08 11:59 PM

I gotta question....would you guys rather get 08 force or 09 rival...if they were the same price.

umd 08-25-08 12:05 AM

09 Rival

umd 08-25-08 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tapeworm21 (Post 7335832)
Went from Rival to Red on my bike. Can't tell a difference between the two just to let you know. Yeah, trim on the front, but I don't worry about it at all.

I have Force on one bike and Red on another. The main difference to me is the amount of throw to shift from the little ring to the big ring. In particular, I have trouble with Force when its cold and I lose feeling in my fingers (I have Raynauds)

kb5ql 08-25-08 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by umd (Post 7336630)
I have Force on one bike and Red on another. The main difference to me is the amount of throw to shift from the little ring to the big ring. In particular, I have trouble with Force when its cold and I lose feeling in my fingers (I have Raynauds)

So, is the throw easier (more Shimano-like) with the Red Gruppo on upshifts from the small -> big ring? That's really my only little niggle with Force and Rival. I have them on the two bikes below. My wife has 105 on hers, and I had forgotten how easy an upshift was on that set.

umd 08-25-08 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by kb5ql (Post 7336678)
So, is the throw easier (more Shimano-like) with the Red Gruppo on upshifts from the small -> big ring? That's really my only little niggle with Force and Rival. I have them on the two bikes below.

Yes, although I don't know that I would descibe it as shimano-like. 09 Force & Rival will be the same as Red in that regard.

DeweyJuice 08-25-08 08:31 AM

I would try out SRAM to be sure you like it first. I recently bought an 09 Tricross with Rival. I'm not (yet) comfortable with shifting the FD, coming from ultegra. It's not smooth and simple for me. It takes me a bit too much effort and time to shift from the small to big ring. The rear is fine. I'm still giving it time.

umd, are you saying that this 09 rival FD would shift about the same as the 09 force and red? I was considering moving up the SRAM line to force or red at least for the FD shifting. Otherwise, if I don't get comfortable with it I'll have to switch to shimano.

umd 08-25-08 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by DeweyJuice (Post 7337792)
umd, are you saying that this 09 rival FD would shift about the same as the 09 force and red? I was considering moving up the SRAM line to force or red at least for the FD shifting. Otherwise, if I don't get comfortable with it I'll have to switch to shimano.

As far as the shifters go, Rival=Force, but I'm not sure if Red is still different inside or not, the rep was not clear on that. The FDs themselves are different shapes throughout the line, and made of different materials so that may affect the shift quality. I've had the best luck with a Force FD, personally. They are also compatible with a Shimano FD (but not RD), so you can but your shimano back on and get the same shift you were used to, but with the SRAM levers. That said, it may just need to be adjusted...

duuuuuude 08-27-08 10:44 AM

I say pick up a new/better frameset and hang force on that.

Very nice frames can be had for $400-$500ish....I'm thinking Cannondale off the top of my head....

Keep the Trek as a back-up/rain bike.