Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Should your C&V "Beater" or "Pub Bike" have stem shifters??? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1270053)

uncle uncle 04-10-23 01:29 PM

Should your C&V "Beater" or "Pub Bike" have stem shifters???

Do you have a beater? Or a pubber? Did you go stem shifters on it? I have a young riding buddy whom I'm going to gift a beater/pubber build bike too, and we've been discussing what the build should consist of... share your insights.

krakhaus 04-10-23 01:34 PM

My pub bike is a fixed gear, but single speed is probably ideal. Depending on how far your local pub is.

bikemig 04-10-23 01:35 PM

Why not? I just built this bike as a beater (the bike cost me $20 and that included good tires, I only had to change the saddle, cables, and housing). It doesn't have stem shifters but it does have "safety" levers. "Safety" levers and stem shifters gives you that 70s look.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c4284d04f8.jpg

79pmooney 04-10-23 01:42 PM

No. Such bikes get ridden when inebriated. Suppose the rider runs into something. If male, some very sensitive parts may be making contact with basically spears.

Yes, I know this has been poo-poo'd many times. We used to suggest this to male customers of new bikes in the shop I worked in '77, saying the small charge to upgrade to DT shifters might be one they never regret. That September I was wheeling my race bike into a hotel in Nasua NH for the race the next day when an old man (probably resident there) came up to me to tell me that those shifters had done just that to him.

repechage 04-10-23 01:47 PM

Not necessarily

Andy_K 04-10-23 01:53 PM

What are your criteria for a beater? Or to put it another way, what is it about the intended use that makes you want it to be a beater?

You don't want to care if it gets stolen?
You want it to be so undesirable that it won't get stolen?
You want to be able to abuse it without worries?
You want to make it as cheap as possible?

In general, I don't believe in beaters. I want any bike I'm going to ride to be enjoyable to ride. I do have a couple of bikes that are built to take abuse, but I used nice components on them and they're great bikes. Neither one would really be suitable for use as a pub bike.

Stem shifters are maybe slightly cheaper. I doubt a potential thief would distinguish much between stem shifters and downtube shifters. Stem shifters might be slightly less likely to cause you to crash after a few beers if you misjudge your level of sobriety. I've never tried using stem shifters with a decent derailleur, so maybe I'm unfairly biased, but I think of them as less pleasant to use.

Meh, flip a coin.

SurferRosa 04-10-23 02:04 PM

Operationally, for the ride home from the pub, you might think about lots of reflective tape, training wheels, coaster brake, and one of those tall orange flags, all depending on your average bar bill.

RustyJames 04-10-23 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by krakhaus (Post 22855916)
My pub bike is a fixed gear, but single speed is probably ideal. Depending on how far your local pub is.

Agreed. I’m partial to singlespeed for this application. A Raleigh 3 speed would also be an excellent choice IMO.

uncle uncle 04-10-23 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Andy_K (Post 22855938)
What are your criteria for a beater? Or to put it another way, what is it about the intended use that makes you want it to be a beater?

You don't want to care if it gets stolen?
You want it to be so undesirable that it won't get stolen?
You want to be able to abuse it without worries?
You want to make it as cheap as possible?

Well... a lot of you are asking questions. I don't know if I can give all the right answers. For me, I have the bike, which is a bit too tall for me, and I'd like to see it find a home, it's not what I would call collectible, but, we were looking for a project that both of us could hang out together and rehab. I'll give responses for my bud, which may or may not be exactly right. He has a nicer bike, but wants something to run around town, run errands, but mostly pick up burritos from the only Mexican Food store about 4 miles away from his house. He's generally not worried about leaving the bicycle unattended but having the bike be unappealing does have a lot of appeal. I don't think he's going to drink and bike too much (he's not much of a drinker). We live in a flat land, wind is more of concern that grade, so a single speed would be possible choice. He is a fan of stem shifters.

Chuck M 04-10-23 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 22855925)
No. Such bikes get ridden when inebriated. Suppose the rider runs into something. If male, some very sensitive parts may be making contact with basically spears.

Yes, I know this has been poo-poo'd many times. We used to suggest this to male customers of new bikes in the shop I worked in '77, saying the small charge to upgrade to DT shifters might be one they never regret. That September I was wheeling my race bike into a hotel in Nasua NH for the race the next day when an old man (probably resident there) came up to me to tell me that those shifters had done just that to him.

I'm only going to poo it, not poo poo it. But if my stuff has gone from the saddle to the stem (which knock on wood has never happened), I figure the stem is going to crush anything that skidded down the top tube.

But as to what shifter is best for a pub rider, I have so many different shifter arrangements, half the time before I'm two blocks from the house sober as a judge, I've reached everywhere but the right place before I've got up the first hill. So I don't think shifters are the most important thing for a pub rider. Something to safely haul home a growler of ale on the other hand...

uncle uncle 04-10-23 06:08 PM

Original poster here... I'll just add that I'm jealous of my younger friend and sometimes riding partner, because he lives in an area where riding a bicycle from his house to local areas (read eateries, convenience store, hardware store, library) are all pretty doable. He's moved to a sleepy berg outside of the big city. I, on the other hand, live between two Autobahns, were speeds are generally 20+ mph over the posted 55 mph limits, with little bail out areas on the sides, only then to hit major inner city traffic conditions. Maybe someday, after a big move.

BFisher 04-10-23 06:47 PM

English three speed.

Klunkerized/customized classic American cruiser for a close second.

Robvolz 04-10-23 07:02 PM

Whatever you choose, it’s pretty much a requirement that you need to get some of the slanted mailbox, letters and numbers to put the bikes name on it

available at any coast-to-coast or ace hardware store

Classtime 04-10-23 07:15 PM

Beater bikes get no shifters or the shifter(s) that really belongs in the trash.

cudak888 04-10-23 08:26 PM

Only if they're Campagnolo downtube shifters shimmed to fit on the stem, AdventureManCO-style.

Given that your return ride may involve stumbling over into the lawn of a neighbor - preferably the one that will provide the maximum amount of embarrassment to conclude your evening with - make sure your Campagnolo downtu stem shifters are paired with polished crank dustcaps. Keep it classy and all that, you know.

-Kurt

ehcoplex 04-11-23 05:59 AM

Except in very hilly places, my ideal 'beater/pub' bike is an English (-style) 3-speed. To me, in many ways, the classic English 3-speed is the pinnacle of human-powered (utility) transportation. Simple* and robust. Alas, I live in a very hilly place so my 3-speeds sadly see very little use- I'm in the bottom gear of my wide-range triples just to get up my road and driveway! Mashing up a steep hill on a 3-speed after some time spent at the 'pub' isn't the most fun way to end an outing!

*Yeah, OK, the internals of a planetary-gear hub aren't exactly 'simple', but with a (very) little bit of maintenance, they'll go years (and years, and years.....) without having to be opened up.

canalligators 04-11-23 06:33 AM

Rather than worrying about minimizing injury after the incident, address minimizing the chance of an incident. On a more stable bike, you’re less likely to lose control. So the aforementioned English three speed gets my vote too. An American clone like a Schwinn Breeze or Columbia Tourist might be even better, duller handling.

Many years ago, my friends and I would do things to adjust our consciousness then have a slow race - last across the line without going sideways, wins. I would always win on my Raleigh Superbe.

RB1-luvr 04-11-23 06:39 AM

I like the single speed idea. When I lived on the other side of town where it was more commercial and flat, I rode old ten speeds converted to single speed with a bmx freewheel.

nick_a 04-11-23 07:37 AM

Single speed seems pretty bomb-proof to me. Otherwise I'd be going with some kind of swept bar and thumb shifters.

Sedgemop 04-11-23 07:47 AM

Another vote for Raleigh 3 speed. Pretty much the definition of "pub bike."

th3realmckay 04-11-23 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by uncle uncle (Post 22856088)
He is a fan of stem shifters.

There's your answer.

BillyD 04-11-23 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by SurferRosa (Post 22855951)
Operationally, for the ride home from the pub, you might think about lots of reflective tape, training wheels, coaster brake, and one of those tall orange flags, all depending on your average bar bill.

Might also consider strongly a football helmet in place of a cycling helmet, to protect the face . . . . . unless that ship has already saved.

cocoabeachcrab 04-11-23 08:19 AM

my favorite bike stopped being my favorite bike because of downtube shifting... so i moved it to the stem and it's fun to ride again. the dumb idea that you are going to loose your nards in a crash is kind of ridiculous to me. there are plenty of protuberances like the stem or even landing hard on the top tube, but i'm sure if it's a bad enough crash... well what is the alternative? a unicycle? you don't need an excuse like it's just a pub bike... if you are like me, 68 with all the aches and pains, fuggit, move your shifter and enjoy the ride!
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1fe40460a2.jpg

Sactown_Albert 04-11-23 09:40 AM

Why not bar end shifters with a spread handlebar?

I really like a bar end shifter setup for my city bike. I use a fairly flat, swept back bar with a flare so that the shifters are a little outboard.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5a9696936.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bf95a9da6.jpeg

Schweinhund 04-11-23 09:47 AM

My beater is a coaster brake Schwinn. 1959 Wasp.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...49aaaf0cc7.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...88bbc35010.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dd2d8ceee9.jpg