Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Brakleen for bike disc brakes and calipers? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1217817)

rbrides 11-19-20 08:51 AM

Brakleen for bike disc brakes and calipers?

Does anyone use the brake cleaner product, sold by NAPA, Brakleen, to clean bike disc brakes and calipers?

In my motorsports days I used it regularly. But I never see anyone recommend it in the cycling world.

CargoDane 11-19-20 09:21 AM

I use isopropyl alcohol (99.9% pure).

hokiefyd 11-19-20 09:48 AM

I think a strong solvent-based brake cleaner is very likely overkill for bicycle disc brakes. It's helpful in automotive applications where you need a lot of volume to clean a lot of area (brake calipers and rotors and steering knuckles get seriously dirty) and you need a lot of pressure to blast the crud away. None of that really applies to bicycle disc brakes, and alcohol works well. Alcohol is not a good solvent for greases and oils, but those things are generally not present in this situation.

Cyclist0108 11-19-20 09:57 AM

Isopropanol or ethanol for the rotors.

Sandpaper (or, more usually, nothing) for the pads.

rbrides 11-19-20 01:55 PM

Thanks everyone.

Pop N Wood 11-19-20 03:09 PM

I use brake clean on my bikes all the time. The aerosol is the quickest way I know of to clean a cassette. I really like it for the final rinse cycle on rotors, although I typically just do a quick wipe down with alcohol, paint thinner or acetone, whatever is handy.

I like carburetor clean for chains as well. Keep a jar full for just that purpose.

Reflector Guy 11-19-20 04:25 PM

I'd be leery of getting it on any plastic parts; it can leave a stain which I think is really more like an etched-on spot (I have various plastic tool handles and a plastic flashlight with such spots). But otherwise it is a very effective cleaner.

ARider2 11-19-20 06:47 PM

I use Brakeleen or rubbing alcohol to clean brake rotors.

CargoDane 11-19-20 08:17 PM

Well, some of us ride on roads where it is sometimes necessary to do so due to "stuff" on the road. Especially after a long period of dry followed by the first rain - "road film" in other words. Or in winter with various road slush and what have you. Hell, even hitting a bush can put oils on the rotors, and then "burning it in" for the rest of the trip.

Removing such things from your rotors makes your brakes work better. And you can never have too much stopping power (although you can have too little modulation).

cxwrench 11-19-20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by CargoDane (Post 21797965)
Well, some of us ride on roads where it is sometimes necessary to do so due to "stuff" on the road. Especially after a long period of dry followed by the first rain - "road film" in other words. Or in winter with various road slush and what have you. Hell, even hitting a bush can put oils on the rotors, and then "burning it in" for the rest of the trip.

Removing such things from your rotors makes your brakes work better. And you can never have too much stopping power (although you can have too little modulation).

Or not near enough traction...:lol:

CargoDane 11-19-20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by cxwrench (Post 21797988)
Or not near enough traction...:lol:

Hehe, indeed :D