Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Underwater (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1181190)

Doge 08-15-19 10:27 AM

Underwater

How far do you intentionally put your bike (any kind) parts under water? When is the puddle or river too deep?

Me - total dry weather guy to this point. I have gone through a 3 puddle, but thinking I may get over it and do some MTB stuff and do some stream crossings.

Steve B. 08-15-19 10:29 AM

I never want the axles or b-bracket underwater. The seals are designed for wet roads and rain.

indyfabz 08-15-19 10:40 AM

Many years ago I explored a road near my house that was closed due to flooding. At one point I submerged my bottom bracket. (Beater Trek 930 MTB.) Hastened the need for an overhaul. I would never do something like that again with any bike of mine. But if you want to lend me one of yours....:D

I mainly avoid puddles for safety reasons. I was forced into one during a tour last year. There was a giant pot hole lurking beneath the surface. I nearly wiped out (my ass came off the seat and my left hand came off the brake hood) and fell into the path of an overtaking car. I still don't know how I managed to right myself. Instinct I guess. The woman driving looked terrified as she passed me.

JonathanGennick 08-15-19 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Steve B. (Post 21076819)
I never want the axles or b-bracket underwater. The seals are designed for wet roads and rain.

^^^^ Same, though I tend to prefer not to be dipping my pedals either -- because I like to keep my feet dry.

ksryder 08-15-19 10:43 AM

I've gone past the hubs on my gravel bike. Not something I do regularly, but 130 miles into a 200 mile ride you kind of stop giving a crap and if it seems like riding across the low water crossing will be faster than walking then why not? Bottom brackets can be replaced.

bikecrate 08-15-19 10:52 AM

This is the rainy season here. There are some areas on my routes that will have standing water on them until summer is over. Generally, I won't go through anything higher than the bottom bracket. My method is to get up a little speed and then coast through the water with pedals in a neutral position.

TimothyH 08-15-19 12:54 PM

I also don't like submerging the bearings.

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 21076817)
When is the puddle or river too deep?

This guy yelled out, "Well, here goes another bottom bracket!" before he dove in. I carried my bike.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...23e27e31a4.jpg

-Tim-

Koyote 08-15-19 01:18 PM

If it's deep enough to submerge pedals or a BB, my feet are gonna get soaked anyway...So I just shoulder the bike and hike through.

GrainBrain 08-15-19 01:32 PM

I was being dumb and reckless on an early spring century this year and rode through a flooded section of paved trail with moving water. At the deepest it was WELL over the bottom bracket!! Probably halfway to my knee. I made it through, thought "That was stupid" and looked down there trail to see more flooded sections.

I turned around and waded back through the section I just came, which was harder because now I had all the surface area of my legs and bike, wow that water is strong!!

Got back to dry trail, sat down and wrung out my socks and boots. Lucky for me it had hit the high of 60° and sunny, as I still had 50 miles left.

Took it to the bike shop to pull the BB out the next day, casually mentioned what I did and we all had a chuckle. Then the mechanic popped out the BB and water dumped everywhere :lol: That's when the laughter really started!

ksryder 08-15-19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by GrainBrain (Post 21077121)
I was being dumb and reckless on an early spring century this year and rode through a flooded section of paved trail with moving water. At the deepest it was WELL over the bottom bracket!! Probably halfway to my knee. I made it through, thought "That was stupid" and looked down there trail to see more flooded sections.

I turned around and waded back through the section I just came, which was harder because now I had all the surface area of my legs and bike, wow that water is strong!!

Got back to dry trail, sat down and wrung out my socks and boots. Lucky for me it had hit the high of 60° and sunny, as I still had 50 miles left.

Took it to the bike shop to pull the BB out the next day, casually mentioned what I did and we all had a chuckle. Then the mechanic popped out the BB and water dumped everywhere :lol: That's when the laughter really started!

If you don't get dumb and reckless on the bike every once in a while then you're doing it wrong.

Milton Keynes 08-15-19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 21076817)
When is the puddle or river too deep?

Never.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a730cd4573.jpg

trailangel 08-15-19 02:27 PM

I got my front Deore axel/hub submerged a couple of times in one day walking it across some rocks. It washed out the Phil Wood waterproof grease and started getting gritty.

TrojanHorse 08-15-19 03:05 PM

I don't like puddles that are even an inch deep... they hide a multitude of problems and might be dramatically slipperier than the pavement around them. Of course, I live in SoCal and don't really have to worry about that at all.

Doge 08-15-19 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 21077239)
I don't like puddles that are even an inch deep... they hide a multitude of problems and might be dramatically slipperier than the pavement around them. Of course, I live in SoCal and don't really have to worry about that at all.

I'm SoCal too. Fog is too deep for me.

GrainBrain 08-15-19 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ksryder (Post 21077128)
If you don't get dumb and reckless on the bike every once in a while then you're doing it wrong.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c4c8e8002.jpeg
The point where you know you've done something stupid but there's no terrible consequences like you deserved!

woodcraft 08-15-19 08:50 PM

I cross some streams on the mtn & cross bikes that are at least to the BB. Actually never thought to worry about it.

On the road, winter flooded sections 6" deep or so- pedals for sure.

The impact has got to be less than a muddy CX race, where the chain is scoured to bare metal.

As a kid we rode bikes into a pond, but I guess that's different.

79pmooney 08-15-19 09:21 PM

I do my best to keep the BB out but pedals have often gone under completely. (Roadie, not a CX guy. I have no interest in wading through puddles but when riding fix gear, keeping the pedals out is not possible.) If you pack the bearings with marine grease (and use lots) submersion doesn't hurt much. (That stuff is designed to take being wheeled while freeway hot into salt water to launch your boat. Nothing we do with bicycles comes close.)

Ben

Dr.Lou 08-15-19 09:22 PM

I am a fair weather rider. Unless I get caught in a thunderstorm, I prefer to remain dry and bike clean. I can always find other things to do on rainy days, like reloading ammo. :D

BirdsBikeBinocs 08-15-19 09:37 PM

My feet got wet going through this flooded bog this past spring in Maine. The bird watching was off the charts. Just awesome.https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...24c82243fc.jpg

AlmostTrick 08-16-19 05:05 AM

I rode through a flooded section on my work commute several days in a row. Water was over the BB and wheel bearings. It took about 2 minutes to get through. I rode past cars that were stalled out with drivers still in them. At one point I actually saw a fish swimming past my front wheel!

Upon seeing it the first day, I stopped before entering and considered my options. Re-routing to avoid meant being late for work. So I removed my shoes and socks and strapped them to my rear rack. Once I was through, I shook the excess water off my feet and put them back on.

The bearings showed no problems for thousands of miles after that, although I did have to clean and lube the freewheel. Those have no seals.

cyclist2000 08-16-19 08:43 AM

I don't like getting my pedals submerged, I do it but don't like it. I don't like riding 50 miles with soaked shoes and socks. I did it this summer on a tour.

MikeyMK 08-16-19 08:48 AM

I avoid putting my rear axle under, as it's an e-hub and the cable enters the 16mm axle. That limits me to 1ft deep. I have waded quite quickly at over 1ft though.

Unca_Sam 08-16-19 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by GrainBrain (Post 21077465)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c4c8e8002.jpeg
The point where you know you've done something stupid but there's no terrible consequences like you deserved!

Yeah, this is a flowing body of water. It's questionable judgement to try to ford moving water where there usually isn't any. Standing water and vernal pools are risky, but you probably won't end up a corpse on your way to the Gulf of Mexico. I'm glad this worked out for you.

Fargo Wolf 08-16-19 02:55 PM

As long as the water doesn't reach the big chain ring, it's good.

ksryder 08-16-19 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf (Post 21078765)
As long as the water doesn't reach the big chain ring helmet, it's good.

fify