Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New U-Lock with angle-grinder defense (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1180546)

JonathanGennick 08-08-19 09:45 AM

New U-Lock with angle-grinder defense

Interesting!

https://bikerumor.com/2019/08/08/alt...inder-defense/

The use of a softer metal and the non-uniform pattern inside the outer core is an intriguing defense.

ChinookTx 08-08-19 09:52 AM

13 POUNDS!!! LOL. Interesting if you leave it in one place, but I don't see myself carrying this on my bike!

tyrion 08-08-19 09:57 AM

Makes sense. I always thought this kind of composite was feasible, with both a grinding-resistant component and a shear-resistant component.

Moe Zhoost 08-08-19 10:52 AM

Yes, this concept makes a lot of sense. The actual lock is necessarily bulky though, which might inhibit its application on the variety of things to which one would lock a bike.

I don't doubt that thieves would eventually figure out how to most efficiently disable this lock, but if it takes an additional minute or so they may not bother and move on to easier pickings.

MikeyMK 08-08-19 07:30 PM

I considered an aluminium outer, with a steel core, as the alloy would gum-up the cutting wheel. But it'd still get through it.

My latest U lock is 19mm thick. That's thicker than a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboutit.. It requires two cuts and is harder to pick for having dummy tumblers.

Yeah it's heavy, but barely heavier than my series-2 Kryptonite as it's shorter. And, you know, e-bike.. so it doesn't matter.

Marcus_Ti 08-08-19 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChinookTx (Post 21066036)
13 POUNDS!!! LOL. Interesting if you leave it in one place, but I don't see myself carrying this on my bike!

And $300 retail...And also, needless to say, Kickstarter. Odds are your money will be gone and you'll never get it anyway

SylvainG 08-08-19 07:46 PM

Wonder if the LockPickingLawyer would be able to open it...

ColonelSanders 08-08-19 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyMK (Post 21066805)
I considered an aluminium outer, with a steel core, as the alloy would gum-up the cutting wheel. But it'd still get through it.

My latest U lock is 19mm thick. That's thicker than a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboutit.. It requires two cuts and is harder to pick for having dummy tumblers.

Yeah it's heavy, but barely heavier than my series-2 Kryptonite as it's shorter. And, you know, e-bike.. so it doesn't matter.

What brand/model of U-lock do you have? :eek:

livedarklions 08-08-19 08:07 PM

That looks completely useless. You would be lucky to fit it through the frame and a rack. 13 pounds and you'll need locks for the wheels.

Dirt Farmer 08-08-19 08:16 PM

It stops "angle grinders up to five inches." So, beyond that is still iffy?

FiftySix 08-08-19 08:17 PM

Interesting.

If that outer rubber casing is all that is holding the alloy halves of the U together, it looks like it ought to be easy to use the grinder to make an outside diameter cut of that U to peel the rubber casing off. Then remove the alloy halves, which would leave the steel core is exposed.

I'd guess they maker might use steel epoxy to hold the halves together? If not, they should use it liberally in the voids of that alloy shell.

Any criminal seeing this video is probably thinking the same thing.

79pmooney 08-08-19 08:24 PM

Remember, bike weight plus lock that works adds up to a constant; that constant depending on the city. (Also locale, time of day, etc. And second to the rule that a bike only needs to be less attractive or better locked than the bike next to it.) Daytime in decent areas in Portland, 28 pounds works pretty well. I have two 26 pound bikes with 2 pound U-locks. Now, if you wanted to lock a 15 pound wunderbike next to my city bike, you might well need that 13 pound lock.

Ben

Darth Lefty 08-08-19 08:34 PM

When you cut the outer layer, that’s when the spiders inside are released

cecu 08-08-19 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by SylvainG (Post 21066835)
Wonder if the LockPickingLawyer would be able to open it...

One is binding, two is loose, click out of three…
wouldn't take him long :)

plus, if you're out and about stealing a bike with an angle grinder, might just cut the pole that the lock/bike are attached to..

livedarklions 08-09-19 12:30 AM

Sorry, but all you have to do is see this image and it looks like an April Fools joke: https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-medi...mfcly14wn5f24e

Might as well ride around with a floor safe strapped to your back.

canklecat 08-09-19 01:58 AM

At that weight and price it'd make better sense to just keep buying decent used bikes for under $200, any good U-lock and replace it as needed.

If I lived in an area where bike theft was that much a problem I wouldn't get too attached to a commuter bike.

livedarklions 08-09-19 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21067120)
At that weight and price it'd make better sense to just keep buying decent used bikes for under $200, any good U-lock and replace it as needed.

If I lived in an area where bike theft was that much a problem I wouldn't get too attached to a commuter bike.

It's not just the weight, the size is absurd. Carrying it around will be no fun, and there's no way it's going through a wheel and frame when locking it to anything substantial.

indyfabz 08-09-19 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21067182)
and there's no way it's going through a wheel and frame when locking it to anything substantial.

Good point. The lock alone would barely fit around most sign poles I lock my bike to when I commute/run errands.

livedarklions 08-09-19 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21067191)
Good point. The lock alone would barely fit around most sign poles I lock my bike to when I commute/run errands.

If you look at the picture I linked above, you can see it's approximately the size of a basketball. Where would you stow it while riding?

indyfabz 08-09-19 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21067204)
If you look at the picture I linked above, you can see it's approximately the size of a basketball. Where would you stow it while riding?

You mean it doesn't come with a seat tube bracket to hold it? What a rip off!

seamuis 08-09-19 10:16 AM

Lol, this is beyond parody. Besides, as already mentioned, anything small enough for this thing to fit around could easily be cut instead, by the angle grinder, rendering this thing completely useless. This is something that never should have gone beyond the initial design stage. But there are always way too many suckers....

livedarklions 08-09-19 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21067355)
You mean it doesn't come with a seat tube bracket to hold it? What a rip off!

I think the real purpose of the soft coating is so you won't fracture your knees while riding.

phughes 08-09-19 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ChinookTx (Post 21066036)

In fairness, they clearly state that the lock is intended to be left where you lock your bike. Still...what a monster. :roflmao2:

Caliper 08-09-19 10:52 AM

I am so glad I do not live in a city and have to contend with this sort of thing.

Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer (Post 21066875)
It stops "angle grinders up to five inches." So, beyond that is still iffy?

The purpose of the outer layer is to keep the grinder wheel from being able to reach the steel part. A larger diameter grinder will have more reach to the wheel that would allow the wheel to reach the steel core and defeat the lock. Grinders larger than 5" are also pretty bulky things so a thief is more likely to move on to another bike.

Originally Posted by seamuis (Post 21067629)
Lol, this is beyond parody. Besides, as already mentioned, anything small enough for this thing to fit around could easily be cut instead, by the angle grinder, rendering this thing completely useless. This is something that never should have gone beyond the initial design stage. But there are always way too many suckers....

Take a look at their video, it locks around what look like standard bike racks. The lock is on an entire different scale from standard bike locks...

Milton Keynes 08-09-19 11:09 AM

My question is, what do you do if you ever lose the key?