Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Introductions (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Hi from Bloomington, IN (for now!) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178548)

FujiSam 07-16-19 06:32 PM

Hi from Bloomington, IN (for now!)
 
Sam here from Bloomington, IN, but only for a couple more weeks before o move to Ann Arbor!!

I've been riding mountain and road for the past dozen years. Just can't get enough of being on a bike. Even more fun now that I can ride with my kids! My 2 oldest just did their first balance bike BMX races!

My first buildup was a Gary Fisher Marlin that I rode every day in North Georgia until it was stolen. Still miss it :((( For the past 7 years I've been loving my vintage Fuji roadies-- seafoam '76 Fuji Sports 10 single speed conversion and a gold '79 Royale gravel conversion.

I fix my friends and neighbors bikes and just love to ride, look at, and talk about bikes!!! Bloomington, home of the Little 500 of Breaking Away fame, has been a fun place to do that for the past couple of years!

gnome 07-16-19 09:12 PM

Welcome to bike forums.

Chrshv80 07-16-19 09:48 PM


Originally Posted by FujiSam (Post 21030685)
Sam here from Bloomington, IN, but only for a couple more weeks before o move to Ann Arbor!!

I've been riding mountain and road for the past dozen years. Just can't get enough of being on a bike. Even more fun now that I can ride with my kids! My 2 oldest just did their first balance bike BMX races!

My first buildup was a Gary Fisher Marlin that I rode every day in North Georgia until it was stolen. Still miss it :((( For the past 7 years I've been loving my vintage Fuji roadies-- seafoam '76 Fuji Sports 10 single speed conversion and a gold '79 Royale gravel conversion.

I fix my friends and neighbors bikes and just love to ride, look at, and talk about bikes!!! Bloomington, home of the Little 500 of Breaking Away fame, has been a fun place to do that for the past couple of years!

Not too far from you in Indianapolis, are there some decent low traffic roads in your neck of the woods. I love The scenery around Lake Monroe.

wgscott 07-16-19 09:51 PM

Welcome. I lived there for about 1.5 years.

FujiSam 07-17-19 11:01 AM


Originally Posted by gnome (Post 21030921)
Welcome to bike forums.

Thanks!

FujiSam 07-17-19 11:04 AM


Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21030965)
Welcome. I lived there for about 1.5 years.

Thanks! Cool-- I've been here 2 years. Little sad to leave now that an awesome used LBS just opened up (The Bike Shop)!

FujiSam 07-17-19 11:05 AM


Originally Posted by Chrshv80 (Post 21030960)
Not too far from you in Indianapolis, are there some decent low traffic roads in your neck of the woods. I love The scenery around Lake Monroe.

Lots of good road riding around Lake Monroe for sure!

Siu Blue Wind 07-17-19 11:31 PM

Hello and welcome! Seems like you do some good traveling, the best way to use a bike. :)

LAJ 07-19-19 07:33 AM

Welcome to Bike Forums, FujiSam!

Hermes 07-19-19 08:01 AM

Welcome from SoCal.

bikemig 07-20-19 04:35 PM

Are you doing the Hilly Hundred? It's on my list of rides to do.

Chrshv80 07-20-19 05:25 PM


Originally Posted by bikemig (Post 21036800)
Are you doing the Hilly Hundred? It's on my list of rides to do.

Id like to try it.

Mad Honk 07-20-19 05:45 PM

FujiSam,
Welcome from hot and humid Bloomington, In. I Stopped by and saw Scott for few minutes today,he sent a very badly damaged mt. bike fork to be straightened. This one is gonna be a bugger to bend back. Good to hear about the kids and having them on bikes. Smiles, MH

FujiSam 07-20-19 06:21 PM


Originally Posted by bikemig (Post 21036800)
Are you doing the Hilly Hundred? It's on my list of rides to do.

I didn't even know about it until just now (not from Indiana), but I think I will do it this year!!! Sounds awesome.

FujiSam 07-20-19 06:24 PM


Originally Posted by Mad Honk (Post 21036875)
FujiSam,
Welcome from hot and humid Bloomington, In. I Stopped by and saw Scott for few minutes today,he sent a very badly damaged mt. bike fork to be straightened. This one is gonna be a bugger to bend back. Good to hear about the kids and having them on bikes. Smiles, MH

Oh, hi--small town! I saw that teeny Technium on the stand-- love the paint. So you do metalwork for Scot? That's cool.

Trsnrtr 07-21-19 05:46 AM

Welcome!!!

JanMM 07-21-19 08:29 AM

Bloomington is great place to live and to ride bikes, yes. I took up cycling as a young adult when I lived there in the '70s. Watched a few Breaking Away scenes being filmed. Rode my first three Hilly Hundreds while there - and have gone back most years since then to ride the Hilly.

FujiSam 07-21-19 08:38 AM


Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 21037507)
Bloomington is great place to live and to ride bikes, yes. I took up cycling as a young adult when I lived there in the '70s. Watched a few Breaking Away scenes being filmed. Rode my first three Hilly Hundreds while there - and have gone back most years since then to ride the Hilly.

It's been fun. So cool you saw Breaking Away scenes being filmed! Perhaps I'll see you at the Hilly this year! I would love to come back for it.

JanMM 07-21-19 09:20 AM


Originally Posted by FujiSam (Post 21037517)
It's been fun. So cool you saw Breaking Away scenes being filmed! Perhaps I'll see you at the Hilly this year! I would love to come back for it.

The Hilly will be the last weekend in October this year, so it shouldn't be hot, like last year was. Hope it's not too cold!

Chrshv80 07-21-19 10:36 AM


Originally Posted by JanMM (Post 21037568)
The Hilly will be the last weekend in October this year, so it shouldn't be hot, like last year was. Hope it's not too cold!

Good to know. I definitely will try it this year if its late October. I remember it being brutally hot that weekend last year.

Mad Honk 07-21-19 01:08 PM

FujiSam,
When you see Scott, tell him the fork was returned to correct specs and should work in that teeny bike just fine. This assumes the frame was not torqued when the car ran over the front wheel in the grudge. Smiles, MH

TireLever-07 07-29-19 05:23 PM

Both your road bikes are about the same,bought new in a bike shop. drop bar alum rims. And the thief,,, took your good bike. I've never been into MTB bikes, just road hybrid and touring (Long) Touring(Local) types of bikes. See what the terrain is. Where you like riding around. Like cross country ,neighborhood hood gravel pit, power line access roads (?) Once you move to the Badger state. If you wanna spend the money. Some new MTBs gone to a single crank. If you work on the porch or living room. Hydralic brakes,, might not be for you. But your thief took your favorite bike. That's not a dumb thief. \\

strossos 08-24-19 04:28 PM

Welcome! I'm coming out your way to do the Hilly Hundred this year. Any recommendations in town to check out??

Mad Honk 08-24-19 07:31 PM

Nicks is always a good choice, but the brew pub at Lennie's is always biker friendly, and the Uplands on eleventh street has good fries to go with the beer. Breakfast at the Village Deli is a good start, and if you are into bagels Susan's Bloomington Bagle Co. is always a good start to the day. Smiles, MH

strossos 08-25-19 05:09 PM


Originally Posted by Mad Honk (Post 21091002)
Nicks is always a good choice, but the brew pub at Lennie's is always biker friendly, and the Uplands on eleventh street has good fries to go with the beer. Breakfast at the Village Deli is a good start, and if you are into bagels Susan's Bloomington Bagle Co. is always a good start to the day. Smiles, MH

Thanks for the recommendations! Now all I'll have to worry about is a few hills. How many could there be, really?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.