Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   rigid fork (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1087977)

troglobyker 11-12-16 11:37 PM

rigid fork

I have a 2014 trek x cal 9 and I'm wondering what the best rigid fork to go with the g2 geometry would be. mostly using the bike for urban commuting so wanting to change to a full rigid set up with schwalbe balloons.

gsa103 11-13-16 12:24 AM

Why do you want a rigid fork? Fork suspension losses are very small unless you're really standing on the pedals and mashing.

The Xcal should have a lockout fork, so you can just lock it out.

JonathanGennick 11-13-16 07:58 AM

What's your current fork travel? Is it 80mm or 100mm?

Salsa makes some steel forks that are suspension corrected to be-- in theory -- drop-in replacements for 80mm travel suspension forks. Niner used to have a steel for suspension corrected for 100mm, but I don't think they sell it anymore.

troglobyker 11-13-16 09:32 AM

I'm a clydesdale and I do ride mostly with the front fork locked out

RockShox XC32 w/Solo Air spring, TurnKey lockout, custom G2 Geometry w/51mm offset, 100mm travel (14.5": 80mm travel)

osco53 11-13-16 09:47 AM

Gonna be hard to find one with the exact rake and trail not to mention the height.

Air the fork up to a 10% sag setting and/or lock it out and fagetaboutit :P

Wilfred Laurier 12-03-16 08:51 PM

I disagree with those above that don't think it is a worthwhile mod - there are many advantages rigid has over suspension. If the bike is never ridden on rough trails then I would certainly prefer a rigid fork. I don't know of a good one to recommend - one of my bikes has a surly instigator fork and it is a pig.

EDIT: I have seen carbon mtb forks for sale online for not too much dough. I would expect a cheap carbon fork to be pretty tough for city riding. A lightweight steel fork would not be my first choice but would probably be ok too.

unterhausen 12-03-16 09:35 PM

it's just not that critical that you get the same AC and rake. I would probably go for one of the salsa forks. I'm guessing this would work CroMoto Grande 29?er Thru-Axle, Tapered | Parts & Accessories | Salsa Cycles

Generally the fork should be AC of 25 percent sagged. So whatever your fork is minus 25mm. A few mm of rake isn't going to hurt you. I cant tell if Rockshox gives a sagged AC. If it is, the salsa fork will increase your heat tube angle a little, probably ok though.

JonathanGennick 12-04-16 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 19230256)
I disagree with those above that don't think it is a worthwhile mod - there are many advantages rigid has over suspension. If the bike is never ridden on rough trails then I would certainly prefer a rigid fork. I don't know of a good one to recommend - one of my bikes has a surly instigator fork and it is a pig.

I like the Instigator. Wish it was still made. I run it on a bicycle designed originally for an 80mm travel fork. The Instigator substitutes for 100mm, and I like the effect of the slacker geometry on that particular frame. I also like that the build is notably lighter in weight than with a suspension fork. Not to mention there's nothing much left to maintain. Win all around.

Agree with you on the rough trails bit. A lot of what's near me is machine-built these days, and it is mainly in areas with braking bumps that I notice the lack of suspension.

Kindaslow 12-04-16 10:59 AM

You say the best, and if Enve is currently making one that fits your bike, it might be the best. Everything I have owned form them has been excellent.

ed 12-04-16 08:39 PM

Enve is a waste of money unless you're loaded or racing for money. To say that you should buy an Enve fork without even trying one yourself seems a bit near sighted. I'm sure they're fine, but given the bike the OP is riding, I think something light and steel would be wise.

Get a good steel rigid from Salsa, Kona P2, etc for a suspension corrected 29er. Will be incredible. Steel is compliant and takes the harsh edge off bumps. Anyone who doesn't understand why you would want a rigid fork for commuting can't open his mind to your situation.

I love suspension and technology, but a nice steel rigid is tons of efficient and cheap fun.

Incredibly fast compared to a suspension setup. Lighter and most efficient. Standing up and honking on those pedals will become addictive. Anyone around you that's wasting their time sitting and spinning will be dropped like a slick booger.

Wilfred Laurier 12-05-16 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick (Post 19230938)
I like the Instigator. Wish it was still made. I run it on a bicycle designed originally for an 80mm travel fork. The Instigator substitutes for 100mm, and I like the effect of the slacker geometry on that particular frame. I also like that the build is notably lighter in weight than with a suspension fork. Not to mention there's nothing much left to maintain. Win all around.

I was running a lightweight air-sprung fork that failed, and a friend gave me his instagator fork. I don't think the Instigator dropped the weight at all for me. It is a very heavy fork, as rigid forks go.

JonathanGennick 12-05-16 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 19232902)
I was running a lightweight air-sprung fork that failed, and a friend gave me his instagator fork. I don't think the Instigator dropped the weight at all for me. It is a very heavy fork, as rigid forks go.

It is heavy. Can't argue that. The old Karate Monkey fork is lighter weight and about the same axle to crown. A friend a I built up a 26er last year using it. Worked a treat.

ed 12-05-16 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 19232902)

Tru:thumb::thumb:

Instigator is a beefy fork.

KM and 1x1 arent too bad. I have used the Kona P2 and liked it a great deal.

gsa103 12-05-16 01:38 PM

You could probably find a Niner carbon fork which would be close enough to work. For what it's worth, no one other than Trek uses G2 geo, so any aftermarket will be a bit off.

Kindaslow 12-05-16 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by ed (Post 19231876)
Enve is a waste of money unless you're loaded or racing for money. To say that you should buy an Enve fork without even trying one yourself seems a bit near sighted. I'm sure they're fine, but given the bike the OP is riding, I think something light and steel would be wise.

Get a good steel rigid from Salsa, Kona P2, etc for a suspension corrected 29er. Will be incredible. Steel is compliant and takes the harsh edge off bumps. Anyone who doesn't understand why you would want a rigid fork for commuting can't open his mind to your situation.

I love suspension and technology, but a nice steel rigid is tons of efficient and cheap fun.

Incredibly fast compared to a suspension setup. Lighter and most efficient. Standing up and honking on those pedals will become addictive. Anyone around you that's wasting their time sitting and spinning will be dropped like a slick booger.

One more friendly person showing X-maps spirit.

I believe there was some talk about best stuff, could have been mixing this with another thread. I have used many Enve parts, including their forks.

ed 12-05-16 07:22 PM

Word

unterhausen 12-05-16 09:45 PM

we compared a ventana aluminum fork with a suspension fork for the same bike. Granted, it was a high-end suspension fork, but it weighed about the same as the aluminum rigid fork. Steel is almost surely going to weigh more.