Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cool footage from this year's Paris-Roubaix (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170729)

Oldguyonoldbike 04-16-19 12:56 PM

Cool footage from this year's Paris-Roubaix

Rider's-eye-view of just how tough this race is:
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...ix-2019-420149

rollagain 04-16-19 01:39 PM

I tried the link but it asked me to sign up for something, so ... here's another.

Evidently, cycle racing would be horrifically boring if it didn't have crashes.

Riders ride on the grass to avoid having to use the cobblestone pavement ... makes me wonder if they could go faster on a softer-riding bike, using the road.

Also wonder what this race would be like without the extensive support, such as entire spare bikes. A totally unsupported race could be interesting; I imagine the attrition would be pretty high.

fietsbob 04-16-19 02:27 PM

the official website shows they taped their fingers before starting, and untaped them in the Roubaix showers..

rumrunn6 04-16-19 02:31 PM

brutal

TimothyH 04-16-19 03:09 PM

Looks like a normal Saturday gravel ride to me.

Except we try not to crash as much.

-Tim-

Tombaatar 04-16-19 03:22 PM

I like to think that each one of them are making a guttural "uhhhhhhhh" sound as they ride over the cobbles. That's what I would do.

Slightspeed 04-16-19 08:07 PM

I tried to watch last night's highlight show on NBC Sports. There was some hockey game on, which ran long, talking heads droned on, then the Paris Roubaix started. It was on my DVR, but ran out 6.9 km from the finish. I had to find another shorter highlight on YouTube, to see the finish. Hockey? Really? For a sport to be a real sport, it has to have wheels on it, like uh ... Paris Roubaix. For live races, like TDF, NASCAR or F1, I set the DVR for + 1 hour to allow for yellow flags, rain delay, etc. For a highlight show, I expect 2 hours to be two hours, not 20 minutes of hockey, talking heads, then all but 6.9 km of the race. End of rant. 😡

one4smoke 04-16-19 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Slightspeed (Post 20887999)
I tried to watch last night's highlight show on NBC Sports. There was some hockey game on, which ran long, talking heads droned on, then the Paris Roubaix started. It was on my DVR, but ran out 6.9 km from the finish. I had to find another shorter highlight on YouTube, to see the finish. Hockey? Really? For a sport to be a real sport, it has to have wheels on it, like uh ... Paris Roubaix. For live races, like TDF, NASCAR or F1, I set the DVR for + 1 hour to allow for yellow flags, rain delay, etc. For a highlight show, I expect 2 hours to be two hours, not 20 minutes of hockey, talking heads, then all but 6.9 km of the race. End of rant. ��

I'm with ya on that! I wanted to watch a little of it before turning in, and had to wait until the damn hockey concluded. It finally came on, so I watched a bit, then set the DVR to get the rest. Went to finish watching it today and off it went 6.9 to go. I'll be a sunuva....

If something runs long, the TV geniuses at least need to fix it where the DVR records what it's supposed to. No, I don't know how they can do that, and I don't care. Just do it.

burnthesheep 04-17-19 07:24 AM

For some of the "heavier" riders around 75kg.......they were showing power data in the range of 320w NP for 6 hours plus. Geeeeeez.

Rick 04-17-19 09:55 AM

The footage of support crews with replacement bicycles is a big turn off to me. I believe this endurance race should be without this kind of help.

caloso 04-17-19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rick (Post 20888632)
The footage of support crews with replacement bicycles is a big turn off to me. I believe this endurance race should be without this kind of help.

How do you feel about feedzones?

Aubergine 04-17-19 12:09 PM

Well, the race is about the endurance of the humans, not the bikes.

eja_ bottecchia 04-17-19 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by rollagain (Post 20887509)
I tried the link but it asked me to sign up for something, so ... here's another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cfIjaCZ9NM

Evidently, cycle racing would be horrifically boring if it didn't have crashes.

Riders ride on the grass to avoid having to use the cobblestone pavement ... makes me wonder if they could go faster on a softer-riding bike, using the road.

Also wonder what this race would be like without the extensive support, such as entire spare bikes. A totally unsupported race could be interesting; I imagine the attrition would be pretty high.

In the early days that’s exactly how it was...high DNF rates.

I have a friend who lives in France and he has done the amateur Paris - Roubaix ride; he has also done Tourmalet and Ventoux. He says that hands down P-R is the toughest race. Those cobblestones are vicious.

Clipped_in 04-17-19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 20888393)
For some of the "heavier" riders around 75kg.......they were showing power data in the range of 320w NP for 6 hours plus. Geeeeeez.

Yeah, no kidding! :eek::thumb:

OldTryGuy 04-18-19 05:42 AM

Agree

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 20888881)

Of course they are needed.

Originally Posted by Aubergine (Post 20888889)

The RACE is about MAN AND MACHINE

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 20888897)
In the early days that’s exactly how it was...high DNF rates.

I have a friend who lives in France and he has done the amateur Paris - Roubaix ride; he has also done Tourmalet and Ventoux. He says that hands down P-R is the toughest race. Those cobblestones are vicious.

WAY COOL. The Cross Florida Ride has a short OLD FLORIDA ROAD SECTION that is like Paris-Roubaix. IT IS FUN.

burnthesheep 04-18-19 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Clipped_in (Post 20889195)
Yeah, no kidding! :eek::thumb:

For an idea of how unreal that is, I'm your local Cat 4/5 pack fodder and dabble in time trial and running.

I know that's their NP and not actual average, so it's inflated for the surges, but if you put a gun to my head I could probably only toss 320 for about 8 minutes before I pop. Maybe 20min by the end of the year.

Dudes doing that much for like 1/4 of an entire 24 hour day.

I get that they ride like 25 hours a week, but still.

superdex 04-18-19 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Slightspeed (Post 20887999)
I tried to watch last night's highlight show on NBC Sports. There was some hockey game on, which ran long, talking heads droned on, then the Paris Roubaix started. It was on my DVR, but ran out 6.9 km from the finish. I had to find another shorter highlight on YouTube, to see the finish. Hockey? Really? For a sport to be a real sport, it has to have wheels on it, like uh ... Paris Roubaix. For live races, like TDF, NASCAR or F1, I set the DVR for + 1 hour to allow for yellow flags, rain delay, etc. For a highlight show, I expect 2 hours to be two hours, not 20 minutes of hockey, talking heads, then all but 6.9 km of the race. End of rant. 😡

First of all, it's NHL playoffs. ain't NOTHING like playoff hockey. So what's a guy to do to get both fixes? NBC sports gold. On sale right now for $20. You get the rest of their coverage until Le Tour, when it renews for like $50. Totally worth it.

https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/cycli...packages_tiles

jefnvk 04-18-19 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Tombaatar (Post 20887661)
I like to think that each one of them are making a guttural "uhhhhhhhh" sound as they ride over the cobbles. That's what I would do.

+1

+2. Like car racing, it is one thing to replace "consumable" type items, it is another thing completely to swap out the entire vehicle for another. Bike breaks in an irreparable failure? Oh well, DNF for you. Build a better bike next time.

Originally Posted by superdex (Post 20890249)
First of all, it's NHL playoffs. ain't NOTHING like playoff hockey. So what's a guy to do to get both fixes? NBC sports gold. On sale right now for $20. You get the rest of their coverage until Le Tour, when it renews for like $50. Totally worth it.

Sarcasm?

Originally Posted by Aubergine (Post 20888889)

Well then why not give them all identical bikes and eliminate feedzones?

superdex 04-18-19 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by jefnvk (Post 20890275)
+1

+2. Like car racing, it is one thing to replace "consumable" type items, it is another thing completely to swap out the entire vehicle for another. Bike breaks in an irreparable failure? Oh well, DNF for you. Build a better bike next time.

sounds like the PBP threads are more your speed. Horses for courses. Cheers!

rydabent 04-19-19 10:55 AM

If you are not racing, why not carry everything you think you will need to keep you from walking home?

ExPatTyke 04-20-19 01:51 AM

I was lucky enough to ride the Paris Roubaix Challenge last Saturday. I rode an old Peugeot, so I put up a full post in the C&V section if anyone wants to read it.

The thing about riding the pave is that it is unlike anything else. I'd ridden a few strips of cobbles and unmade road locally as preparation but they were nothing like the pave. The cobbles on the pave are large and very uneven, and the surface of the pave is rutted with frequent potholes and dips; the drop from the crown to the ruts is frequently over a foot on a road that's not much more than 6 foot wide.

The advice is to ride as close to the crown as possible - potholes and projecting stones permitting - while turning the highest gear you can. With the resistance from the cobbles that takes a huge amount of energy, and after 2km of pave the legs are burning.

Watching the pro's on Sunday going over one of the same sections of pave I'd ridden the day before was awesome, and a real eye opener about the level they're on.

GrainBrain 04-20-19 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by jefnvk (Post 20890275)

Originally Posted by superdex (Post 20890249)

​Sarcasm?

I dunno if it's sarcasm but I purchased it last year just for all the cycling coverage and it's worth it for me as well. We don't watch TV or Hulu/Netflix/Prime etc. So technically it's affordable.

They had dual streams for the Tour, both Eurovision and NBCSN so I preferred Eurovision's commentary. They have a ton of UCI racing including mtb and cross. You can watch live or replay later.

I haven't used it as much as I should but will probably renew again. It's been worth it to me.

GrainBrain 04-20-19 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 20888881)

Seems like a great spot to attack for a podium finish!:popcorn

Sy Reene 04-21-19 06:58 AM

If such a race had bikes being non-replaceable, it would be interesting to see what the pros would really choose to ride that was more guaranteed to go the distance. I'd also make wheels non replaceable and with a flat, then the rider has to fix/replace his own.

Ironfish653 04-21-19 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene (Post 20893732)
If such a race had bikes being non-replaceable, it would be interesting to see what the pros would really choose to ride that was more guaranteed to go the distance. I'd also make wheels non replaceable and with a flat, then the rider has to fix/replace his own.

Probably nothing dramatically different than what they’re riding now.
You think that everyone is counting on having a mechanical during the race? They’re setting up the bikes to be as fast as possible, but still go the distance.
They’re not going to ride 25lb steel frames and 36h wheels with airless tires to be ‘bomb proof;’ If carbon and 28’s made it to the finish without breaking, then it was enough, not that they got lucky.

Even with support cars, it’s a pretty significant penalty to have to stop and change wheels, and then go ‘full hero mode’ to pull yourself back up to the end of the line, especially if it’s late in the race.