Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   Tern frame problems, hinge design? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1195849)

KC8QVO 03-15-20 11:11 AM

Tern frame problems, hinge design?

This came up in a couple of threads here recently and it got me curious so I went digging a bit. I found some references of broken frames and a subsequent recall around the 2017 time period. That was 3 years ago. It seems there was a lot of time between then and now for other changes to be made. The main change that appears to have been made is the switch from a dual pin hinge to a single pin hinge.

However, the frame failures that I came across were the weldment between the hinge and the frame, not the failure of the hinge but the weld holding the hinge and the frame pieces. A change in pin design would have 0 affect on the weldment failures.

Does anyone know of any process changes to the manufacturing, specifically the hinge to frame weldments, that have addressed the faulty weld issue? Or are there still known frame failures in later model (post-2017 recall period to current models) Terns?

I am looking at some options for my girlfriend. We've talked about folders before but it will be a while before we do anything for her.

FolderBeholder 03-16-20 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by KC8QVO (Post 21368193)
This came up in a couple of threads here recently and it got me curious so I went digging a bit. I found some references of broken frames and a subsequent recall around the 2017 time period. That was 3 years ago. It seems there was a lot of time between then and now for other changes to be made. The main change that appears to have been made is the switch from a dual pin hinge to a single pin hinge.

However, the frame failures that I came across were the weldment between the hinge and the frame, not the failure of the hinge but the weld holding the hinge and the frame pieces. A change in pin design would have 0 affect on the weldment failures.

Does anyone know of any process changes to the manufacturing, specifically the hinge to frame weldments, that have addressed the faulty weld issue? Or are there still known frame failures in later model (post-2017 recall period to current models) Terns?

I am looking at some options for my girlfriend. We've talked about folders before but it will be a while before we do anything for her.

Given the history of Tern frame-weld failures, why would anyone take a chance with so many other good alternatives out there which dont have a history of failures?

My first folder, a $300 Zizzo EuroMini Urbano has been nearly flawless over almost 4 years now and owes me nothing. It's a great bike (with a lifetime frame warranty as well) and despite my other bicycles gets ridden very frequently.

The point is, it's a buyer's market with lots of product to pick from.

Unless...you HAVE TO HAVE a Tern....but then I'd ask why ?

tds101 03-16-20 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by KC8QVO (Post 21368193)

Look at the thread dedicated to the tern frame breakage, and you'll see that frames are STILL snapping. I'd say buying a tern is a crap shoot. I own a Tern Joe P24, and it's never had a breakage issue,...or does it? Do I want to be the first? I worry every time I ride it,...and it was my favorite folder.

flc97404a 03-31-20 01:40 AM

Grumpy old men

tds101 03-31-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by flc97404a (Post 21392809)
Grumpy old men

You work for tern? Are you a shill? I think you're just quite immature,... Post a comment that actually says SOMETHING.

rhenning 03-31-20 03:41 PM

Ditto what TDS 101 said. Roger

KC8QVO 03-31-20 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by tds101 (Post 21393759)

Originally Posted by flc97404a (Post 21392809)
Grumpy old men

You work for tern? Are you a shill? I think you're just quite immature,... Post a comment that actually says SOMETHING.

At first this didn't make any sense to me, but it seemed odd enough it caught my attention so I went digging...

Originally Posted by kayakindude (Post 21350976)

Originally Posted by flc97404a (Post 21350840)
tds101 I have been informed you have been known to be rude and speak before you think, all you know is the bad on something like the TERN company, they have improved, yes the past they have had problems, but doesn't everybody like you, let the thread starter do his own investigation before leaving negative comment.

For someone with 2 posts you seem really defensive of your capitalized TERN.

Originally Posted by tds101 (Post 21350982)

Originally Posted by flc97404a (Post 21350840)
tds101 I have been informed you have been known to be rude and speak before you think, all you know is the bad on something like the TERN company, they have improved, yes the past they have had problems, but doesn't everybody like you, let the thread starter do his own investigation before leaving negative comment.

Too bad you made this personal, have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, and show a complete lack of knowledge and intelligence. Don't speak on matters that you are i'll informed of. Apparently you're too childish to be polite.
https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...rn-recall.html

Originally Posted by flc97404a (Post 21350994)

Originally Posted by kayakindude (Post 21350976)
For someone with 2 posts you seem really defensive of your capitalized TERN.

At least am not negative towards the main topic of the tread, keep it positive that goes for you too.

Originally Posted by flc97404a (Post 21351019)
then don't be negative towards my reply to the thread without explaining why tern is not good to you, I know enough about their problems in the past and they have made corrections towards the issues they had. Grumpy old man...

I was just after information when I started this thread, but apparently I agitated a beehive. In any event, now the comments make some sense... but again, I was just after information - more recent experience with frame failures beyond the recall that tds101 mentioned.

tds101 03-31-20 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by KC8QVO (Post 21394117)
I was just after information when I started this thread, but apparently I agitated a beehive. In any event, now the comments make some sense... but again, I was just after information - more recent experience with frame failures beyond the recall that tds101 mentioned.

No problem. This all started in a strange fashion. We all sometimes disagree, but making things personal lets me know we're either dealing with an individual with a hidden agenda, or someone who's just a child. I make mistakes, I correct AND get corrected. We've even had full blown feuds on BF. We eventually move on.

Now, I'm a tern owner, and quite a few others on this forum are as well. When we share information we don't do it to insult others, we do it out of concern. That's why I originally commented. I don't trust tern, and bikes keep having failures,...even newer models. If you look at that thread I shared, you'll notice new additions from time to time, and if you follow links within, you'll see it's definitely an ongoing problem with tern. And, if I'm not mistaken, there might be other threads posted with this issue here in the forum.

wesgreen 03-31-20 07:41 PM

Apparently they still think that focusing on marketing and media manipulation is more important/profitable than learning how welding works. But I liked the "old men" accusation. Thanks for the laugh!