Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tubeless Tires (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1128223)

cyclintom 11-16-17 11:54 AM

Tubeless Tires

After all the arguments to and fro about Tubeless Tires I want to give them a try.

So are there special tubeless tires? I have some Campy wheels which are supposedly tubeless.

What is the complete operation to end up with a tubeless setup?

indyfabz 11-16-17 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by cyclintom (Post 19997188)
So are there special tubeless tires?

There are specific tubeless tires.

chaadster 11-16-17 12:21 PM

You’ll need tubeless tires, and valves, maybe tubeless specific rim tape (depending on whether your rim bed is drilled for spoke nipple access or solid), and probably about 3oz of sealant per tire.

With that stuff, you basically put the tire on the rim, inflate to seat the beads, add sealant and reinflate. It may be slightly more particular, such as needing an air compressor to get wnough flow volume, or maybe a valve core remover to facilitate adding the sealant, but it’s more fussy than complicated. Some tire/rim combos go together more easily than others, but it’s practically impossible to know until you try it.

There are lots of YouTube vids on the steps.

alcjphil 11-16-17 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by cyclintom (Post 19997188)
After all the arguments to and fro about Tubeless Tires I want to give them a try.

So are there special tubeless tires? I have some Campy wheels which are supposedly tubeless.

What is the complete operation to end up with a tubeless setup?

If your wheels are the 2 Way Fit version they will have been shipped with tubeless valves already installed. You need road tubeless specific tires. You simply install the tires the same way you would a regular clincher tire, omitting the tube. It is sometimes a little difficult to get the tires to seal on the rim, a compressor is a big help with this, but often all that is needed is to pump them up. Once the tire is inflated, you can then remove the valve core and inject sealant if needed, some tubeless tires don't absolutely require sealant. The last tubeless tire I installed on my Shamal wheels took all of 5 minutes, including removing the old tire

alcjphil 11-16-17 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by chaadster (Post 19997245)
You’ll need tubeless tires, and valves, maybe tubeless specific rim tape (depending on whether your rim bed is drilled for spoke nipple access or solid), and probably about 3oz of sealant per tire.

Campagnolo 2 Way Fit wheels do not require rim tape

cyclintom 11-16-17 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by alcjphil (Post 19997246)
If your wheels are the 2 Way Fit version they will have been shipped with tubeless valves already installed. You need road tubeless specific tires. You simply install the tires the same way you would a regular clincher tire, omitting the tube. It is sometimes a little difficult to get the tires to seal on the rim, a compressor is a big help with this, but often all that is needed is to pump them up. Once the tire is inflated, you can then remove the valve core and inject sealant if needed, some tubeless tires don't absolutely require sealant. The last tubeless tire I installed on my Shamal wheels took all of 5 minutes, including removing the old tire

Don't you know it's against forum policy to impart real knowledge?

wschruba 11-16-17 05:06 PM

There are two (four, really) broad categories of tubeless tires [road/mtn] UST, and everything else (TLR, 2BLISS, etc...). The former adheres strictly to certain standards (must have a specific bead shape/size, [mountain] must be airtight without sealant, etc), while the latter is a bit of a crapshoot.

Here's the thing: using a UST tire on a non-UST rim has no inherent benefit, as the whole point of the system is the tight tolerances between the rim/tire, which prevent/make much more difficult unintentional dismounting (added bonus, easy tire mounting).

N.B./caveat emptor: some manufacturers make their rims/tires to UST bead specifications, but don't send them out for certification (which costs money) for the UST label.