Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Need advice on Disc Brake upgrade (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=775598)

DVC45 10-15-11 08:40 PM

I need opinions for a Disc Brake upgrade

I have a 2006 Raleigh Mojave Hybrid. It came with a Promax disc brakes. I would like to upgrade.
What is a better mechanical disc brake out there?

cobba 10-15-11 08:53 PM

Avid BB7

dsprehe89 10-15-11 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by cobba (Post 13370180)
Avid BB7

+1. I just got the BB5's for my MTB, and they are amazing. The BB5's are literally the exact same as the 7's from what I understand, except the 7's are easier to adjust from what I understand. All I know is that my 5's stop me on a dime.

DVC45 10-15-11 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by dsprehe89 (Post 13370189)
+1. I just got the BB5's for my MTB, and they are amazing. The BB5's are literally the exact same as the 7's from what I understand, except the 7's are easier to adjust from what I understand. All I know is that my 5's stop me on a dime.

My current brake levers and rotors don't need replacing, right? Just the calipers and pads?

dsprehe89 10-15-11 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by DVC45 (Post 13370195)
My current brake levers and rotors don't need replacing, right? Just the calipers and pads?

Your levers shouldn't need replaced, but I can't say 100% for sure, mine didn't and I had standard V-Brake levers. As for the rotors, the rotor diameter and thickness must match up with the calipers that you buy. If your current promax rotors are fairly old, I'd just suggest getting new rotors also. Rotors don't wear as quickly as pads, but they do wear and need replaced just like all other parts. I got my Avid BB5 rotors, calipers, and pads both front and rear for $75 off ebay, so it really isn't that expensive if you just shop around.

well biked 10-15-11 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by dsprehe89 (Post 13370189)
The BB5's are literally the exact same as the 7's from what I understand, except the 7's are easier to adjust from what I understand.

No, the BB7's use a completely different brake pad.

dsprehe89 10-15-11 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by well biked (Post 13370221)
No, the BB7's use a completely different brake pad.

Wish I would have known that when I bought mine, cause I was debating between the two. I read on here somewhere that they were the same except the inner pad adjustment screw. Thought it was weird that mine were adjustable without having to use a tool cause that was what I read was the difference. Was that the old models that were the same with just different adjustment?

DVC45 10-15-11 09:14 PM

Thanks so much everyone!

cobba 10-15-11 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by dsprehe89 (Post 13370236)
Wish I would have known that when I bought mine, cause I was debating between the two. I read on here somewhere that they were the same except the inner pad adjustment screw. Thought it was weird that mine were adjustable without having to use a tool cause that was what I read was the difference. Was that the old models that were the same with just different adjustment?

The BB5 & BB7 have never been the same.
Both the BB5 & BB7 have inner pad adjusters but only the BB7 has a outer pad adjuster.
The BB7 has larger pads then the BB5 which can be seen in this photo.

gps_dr 10-16-11 05:29 PM

Help!
Took the advice on brakes and upgraded my bb5 160mm to bb7 180 G2 rotor.
I was quite unimpressed with the bb5. Small pads wore quickly with me being a heavier rider.
They cost as much as the bb7 pads, and was tired of replacing pads several times per yer.
Lack of outer pad adjuster didn't help any. The new rotors have more slots to assist cleaning, cooling.

Bought two sets for $54 each. Front went on easily with post mount adapter.
When I took off rear caliper, noticed cable frayed under clamp. OK, got new cable & sleeves.
Problem is that the 180 rotor hits the back of the caliper slot w/o axle fully into it's slot!
The 20mm bracket that came with it should work, but it has the same offset as the 160mm bb5 adapter that was on my 2007 Piranah.
Going to larger rotor should mean more offset is provided by bracket.
Instructions with brakes were useless! don't even indicate which way the arrow on the bracket should point.
tried both ways, no noticeable difference.

cobba 10-16-11 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by gps_dr (Post 13373009)
Problem is that the 180 rotor hits the back of the caliper slot w/o axle fully into it's slot!
The 20mm bracket that came with it should work, but it has the same offset as the 160mm bb5 adapter that was on my 2007 Piranah.
Going to larger rotor should mean more offset is provided by bracket.
Instructions with brakes were useless! don't even indicate which way the arrow on the bracket should point.
tried both ways, no noticeable difference.

Does the adapter have 180 R on it ?
The arrow on the adapter always points in the direction that the wheel spins.

Some photos of the set up might show where the problem is coming from.

gps_dr 10-16-11 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by cobba (Post 13373433)
Does the adapter have 180 R on it ?
The arrow on the adapter always points in the direction that the wheel spins.

Some photos of the set up might show where the problem is coming from.

The adapter on the new/larger rotor/caliper combo says "20mm IS" bought two sets,
both had same adapters. My bike has a post front mount and the 20mm IS "post adapter" worked there.
The tab 20mm IS adapter isn't working on the rear for me.

cobba 10-17-11 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by gps_dr (Post 13374295)
The adapter on the new/larger rotor/caliper combo says "20mm IS" bought two sets, both had same adapters.
The tab 20mm IS adapter isn't working on the rear for me.

Adapters are front and rear specific, it sounds like you didn't get the right adapter.
Where did you buy the brake kits from ?

it has the same offset as the 160mm bb5 adapter
Some adapters for fitting a PM brakes to IS forks can can be turned around and used on the rear to fit a smaller rotor
eg. 160 front = 140 rear, 180 front = 160 rear, 200mm front = 180 rear

My bike has a post front mount and the 20mm IS "post adapter" worked there.
Forks/Frames can be either IS or PM and brakes can be either IS or PM.
If you have a PM fork and a PM brake you wouldn't use any type of IS adapter.

* You could use your new BB7 with the old 160mm rear adapter and 160mm rotor on the back till you get a new 180mm rear adapter, depending on your riding style and where you ride you mightn't even need a 180mm rotor on the back.

Digital_Cowboy 10-17-11 03:17 AM

As is shown by my signature, I have an '05 Specialized Hardrock MTB. It has mechanical disc brakes on it, of late I have been thinking of upgrading it to hydraulic disc brakes. Any suggestions?

gps_dr 10-19-11 12:36 PM

Jensen is sending the correct bracket today. (no rear bracket was included in kit sent).

fietsbob 10-19-11 02:02 PM

IRD has an interesting caliper, their 'Dual Banger' pinches the disc from both sides,
all others push the disc into a stationary pad.
In that, they, the double acting mechanism,
are more like Hydraulic brakes in that way..
hydraulics self adjust for pad wear, mechanicals, it's something the user does.