Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Out for a ride today. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170072)

Helderberg 04-07-19 05:20 PM

Out for a ride today.

Pulled over to see what the mileage was on my phone, hate to get into the barn and find out I was .1 of a mile from the next mile. Saw I needed .4 so went around the block and ended up with a spiders web in my face and right ear. Wiped it off and continued my ride but felt something on my right hand. Looked down and saw a LARGE spider making it's way towards my fingers and without thinking I deposited the thing on the road and kept on moving. Later I had shivers and jumped up and down but I was cool on the bike. Spring in North Carolina.
Frank.

rayooo 04-07-19 05:57 PM

No insects here.. Yet, in Northern NJ... but it was a wonderful day yesterday and today. Got a great ride in yesterday, 52mi around northwest NJ. Lots of gravel, potholes, cracks etc. to contend with, but, it was sunny, warm and I was absolutely thrilled to be out after the long cold winter!

Originally Posted by Helderberg (Post 20874062)
Pulled over to see what the mileage was on my phone, hate to get into the barn and find out I was .1 of a mile from the next mile. Saw I needed .4 so went around the block and ended up with a spiders web in my face and right ear. Wiped it off and continued my ride but felt something on my right hand. Looked down and saw a LARGE spider making it's way towards my fingers and without thinking I deposited the thing on the road and kept on moving. Later I had shivers and jumped up and down but I was cool on the bike. Spring in North Carolina.
Frank.

eja_ bottecchia 04-07-19 05:59 PM

I ride through rural, farmland. Swallowing and eating bugs is part of the ritual. :thumb:

leob1 04-08-19 09:38 AM

Nothing is worse than getting to the driveway and see that you are x.x miles from a nice round number. I've pulled in and out of the driveway to circle the block a few times to add those miles to make things even. Yup, it's OCD.
Add we are about to enter the time of year where knats and such will swarm. Going through a cloud of bug usually results with a few of them in the helmet, and a few being digested.
(thinking about another post, what does a vegan do when they ingest bugs?)

CodyDog 04-08-19 06:59 PM

We have a good amount of bugs in Central Texas. I ride some country rides where deer are an issue.

rumrunn6 04-10-19 08:30 AM

I once rode a paved trail up & back twice thinking I hit 100 miles (w/o a computer) only to find out later that is was only 88 miles. Grrr ... never did ride 100 miles. maybe someday ...

Hondo Gravel 04-10-19 12:44 PM

Just got out of the shower after 30.33 miles washing off bugs that stick to sunblock. Yes, sometime my odometer registers 29.99 I’m like so close to 30 and we all know 30 looks better than 29 is in records. 91 here already will be 98 today and there will be a foot of snow in Minnesota :eek:

canklecat 04-10-19 02:52 PM

I've had to dodge tarantulas, water moccasins and rattlers while riding on some rural roads and parts of the local MUP. All part of the fun.

BobbyG 04-10-19 03:33 PM

OCD and arachnaphobia aside, how was the ride?

Helderberg 04-10-19 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by BobbyG (Post 20878909)
OCD and arachnaphobia aside, how was the ride?

A ride is always better than no ride, spider and all. I had a bit of protein today and spit out the smaller bits. ;)
Be safe all, Frank.

rseeker 04-10-19 05:25 PM

Around here it's Golden Orb Weaver spiders. Late in the season they've grown into fat little shelobs. They love to string giant face-hugger webs across large spans like trails, between a tree and the ground, between a phone pole and the sidewalk, between a street sign and anything.

teejaywhy 04-15-19 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by rseeker (Post 20879032)
Around here it's Golden Orb Weaver spiders. Late in the season they've grown into fat little shelobs. They love to string giant face-hugger webs across large spans like trails, between a tree and the ground, between a phone pole and the sidewalk, between a street sign and anything.

Oh I hate those. You clear the web from your face but you can't get rid of the uneasy feeling that the spider is still hanging on unseen, slowly creeping up toward your neck!!
:eek:

ridingfool 04-15-19 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by rayooo (Post 20874108)
No insects here.. Yet, in Northern NJ... but it was a wonderful day yesterday and today. Got a great ride in yesterday, 52mi around northwest NJ. Lots of gravel, potholes, cracks etc. to contend with, but, it was sunny, warm and I was absolutely thrilled to be out after the long cold winter!

If your close to 9w on the Jersey side try that for a good ride not many pot holes to deal with and lots of riders out there to ride with . Whatever your level is there are all different riders our there

rumrunn6 04-30-19 12:13 PM

reminds me, on a June ride last year I was gagging on tree pollen for 4 hours. thinkng about how to avoid that this year, maybe some kind of mesh mouth mask?