Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Tire lever for carbon wheels? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1184796)

dvai 09-30-19 08:27 PM

Tire lever for carbon wheels?

I recently got a set of carbon wheels. I now wonder if I need special or specific tire levels or any other precaution when changing tires.
Im afraid I will damage the rim bead/bed or even the braking surface.

Thoughts?

drewtk 09-30-19 08:49 PM

Plastic levers will be fine. I’ve never had a problem using them on my carbon wheels. The best thing I ever learned was to reinstall the tire without having to use a lever. You simply squeeze the tire around the rim to place it into the center channel of the rim; push more of the remaining tire onto the rim; then keep repeating until the tire is fully installed. Takes a little patience but works for me every time.

pickettt 10-01-19 05:46 AM

Do your best to learn without using levers at all.

WhyFi 10-01-19 06:32 AM

The plain ol' plastic ones next to the register at every LBS work fine - I think mine are Pedro's, but it's not terribly important. Like others, I never use/never had to use them for mounting - just getting the first part of the bead over when removing.

eduskator 10-01-19 06:52 AM

Plastic ones definitively, and thick enough to not break. Your CF wheels are able to withstand the pressure applied by the lever on a specific area.

I use the TACX.

ThermionicScott 10-01-19 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by drewtk (Post 21145199)
Plastic levers will be fine. I’ve never had a problem using them on my carbon wheels. The best thing I ever learned was to reinstall the tire without having to use a lever. You simply squeeze the tire around the rim to place it into the center channel of the rim; push more of the remaining tire onto the rim; then keep repeating until the tire is fully installed. Takes a little patience but works for me every time.

Solid first post! :thumb:

Rides4Beer 10-01-19 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by drewtk (Post 21145199)

This. I've never had to use levers. For brand new tires, I lay them out in the sun for a while, def helps with the first mounting. :thumb:

gurk700 10-01-19 07:16 PM

I promise you don't need levers. Learn the right technique!

Marcus_Ti 10-01-19 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by gurk700 (Post 21146563)

...depends on the tires and the rims.

You've read the hate-stories about GP5000?

gurk700 10-01-19 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 21146592)
...depends on the tires and the rims.

You've read the hate-stories about GP5000?

Why use tires that are horribly designed? I have no doubt they ride amazing but there are a lot of tires that perform just as well, look as good, cost same or less
and FIT PERFECT.

:)

datlas 10-01-19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by gurk700 (Post 21146563)

To change a flat? Of course you need them. SMH

gurk700 10-01-19 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21146602)

Haven't carried or even owned tire levers for years. Had many flats. No issues here.

datlas 10-02-19 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by gurk700 (Post 21146607)
Haven't carried or even owned tire levers for years. Had many flats. No issues here.

You have stronger fingers than me! Most of us still need levers to remove a tire. Avoid them to remount, of course.

Stormsedge 10-02-19 05:10 AM

I use plastic when the tires are stubborn.

mprince 10-02-19 05:25 AM

As already said, plastic levers will work fine if you find you need to use them.

Marcus_Ti 10-02-19 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by gurk700 (Post 21146595)
Why use tires that are horribly designed? I have no doubt they ride amazing but there are a lot of tires that perform just as well, look as good, cost same or less
and FIT PERFECT.

Fulcrum/Campag rims and Hutchinson tires are another entire lu-lu setup.

There are lots of setups out there that cannot be bare-handed...and I've seen over-confident wrenches get cocky over it at ride-SAGs....and then return someone's wheel an hour later, crestfallen, and with bruised hands from trying to barehand it in spite of cautions.

popeye 10-02-19 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by gurk700 (Post 21146595)
and FIT PERFECT.

Easy mounting is not even on my list for tires.

gurk700 10-02-19 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by popeye (Post 21147149)
Easy mounting is not even on my list for tires.

Well good news for you as you can have easy mounting without sacrificing any detectable performance difference.
If you're one of those people who claim they can tell the grip difference and roll resistance between 2 top performing tires, I'm willing to bet you ride once per week to go to coffee shop and show off to your friends.

Otherwise, like I said, you don't have to sacrifice anything as it's 2019 and you have loads of good choices.

To the ones who have weaker fingers, fair enough.

eduskator 10-02-19 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21146602)

Judging from other member's answers, it seems like one should be able to unmount one side of the tire only using its fingers.

Perhaps they're Iron Man or something, because I can tell you that my finger will break in half if I try to put it between my rim and my tire and use it to pry the sidewall out.

datlas 10-02-19 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by eduskator (Post 21147253)
Judging from other member's answers, it seems like one should be able to unmount one side of the tire only using its fingers.

Perhaps they're Iron Man or something, because I can tell you that my finger will break in half if I try to put it between my rim and my tire and use it to pry the sidewall out.

Agree. Although I suppose it’s possible if you squeeze bead to middle channel of rim all around, that might buy you a few mm of play to unmount tire with fingers. I might try it sometime but SOP is to use tire lever when removing tire, and AVOID doing so when mounting. True confession, I have occasionally used the lever to remount when tire/rim combo stubborn.

ThermionicScott 10-02-19 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by eduskator (Post 21147253)

Well, of course. No smart person would do that. :)

What works for me is to work both beads into the center channel, pinch the tire in one spot at the sidewalls, lift, and push the tire bead over the rim sidewall.

Prying is a non-starter because you make a tight fit worse by putting something else in between. Don't do it.

ridingfool 10-02-19 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by pickettt (Post 21145461)
Do your best to learn without using levers at all.

How do u take the tire off without a tire lever never use them to put a tire on .But off is another matter always use one.

ridingfool 10-02-19 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott (Post 21147437)
Well, of course. No smart person would do that. :)

What works for me is to work both beads into the center channel, pinch the tire in one spot at the sidewalls, lift, and push the tire bead over the rim sidewall.

Prying is a non-starter because you make a tight fit worse by putting something else in between. Don't do it.

Will try that on next removel seems like it will work thanks for the post

pickettt 10-02-19 04:13 PM

Degrees from

Originally Posted by ridingfool (Post 21147461)
How do u take the tire off without a tire lever never use them to put a tire on .But off is another matter always use one.

Using your thumbs, push the bead off the bead seat and into the center channel of the rim. Turn the rim around and do the same to the other side. During the remainder of this process, be sure to keep the bead in the center channel. The circumference of
the tire bead is larger than that of the center channel
of the rim, and the difference will be the room you have to work with. Beginning at the valve stem, pull the beads deep into the channel, so all of the excess space is on top. Imagine two concentric circles with uniform distance between them......then, pull the outside circle up until the two touch at the bottom . What you’ll have is a much greater distance between them at 180 degrees from that contact point. This, in my experience, has been plenty of room to use the heel of your hand to roll the bead (one side or both, if you want to remove the tire entirely) over the edge of the rim. Remember: at all times during the process, check to maintain that the beads are seated in that center channel. To reinstall the tire, reverse the steps, being sure to start 180 degrees from the valve stem.
I’ve been riding, racing, and wrenching bikes for over 30 years and I’ve not used a tire lever in over the last 25 of those, even with road tubeless tires which have a shallower center channel. It’s faster, safer, and requires fewer tools to carry. Practice, follow the steps. Good luck.

ridingfool 10-02-19 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by pickettt (Post 21147682)
Degrees from
Using your thumbs, push the bead off the bead seat and into the center channel of the rim. Turn the rim around and do the same to the other side. During the remainder of this process, be sure to keep the bead in the center channel. The circumference of
the tire bead is larger than that of the center channel
of the rim, and the difference will be the room you have to work with. Beginning at the valve stem, pull the beads deep into the channel, so all of the excess space is on top. Imagine two concentric circles with uniform distance between them......then, pull the outside circle up until the two touch at the bottom . What you’ll have is a much greater distance between them at 180 degrees from that contact point. This, in my experience, has been plenty of room to use the heel of your hand to roll the bead (one side or both, if you want to remove the tire entirely) over the edge of the rim. Remember: at all times during the process, check to maintain that the beads are seated in that center channel. To reinstall the tire, reverse the steps, being sure to start 180 degrees from the valve stem.
I’ve been riding, racing, and wrenching bikes for over 30 years and I’ve not used a tire lever in over the last 25 of those, even with road tubeless tires which have a shallower center channel. It’s faster, safer, and requires fewer tools to carry. Practice, follow the steps. Good luck.

Thanks for the detailed info. Will try on next flat or tire change been pretty lucky with flats tho well over 5000 miles between a few bikes without one thanks to conti gp4 a fan here for them just wish they lasted a little longer.

popeye 10-02-19 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by gurk700 (Post 21147159)
Well good news for you as you can have easy mounting without sacrificing any detectable performance difference.
If you're one of those people who claim they can tell the grip difference and roll resistance between 2 top performing tires, I'm willing to bet you ride once per week to go to coffee shop and show off to your friends.

Otherwise, like I said, you don't have to sacrifice anything as it's 2019 and you have loads of good choices.

To the ones who have weaker fingers, fair enough.

I have easy mounting with the tire of my choice using a lever and I cannot imagine not using one. I would not limit my tire choices just to prove my fingers are macho. Well your crystal ball is broken as I have been on a team for 15 yrs, I put in 200 - 250 miles a week on a weight weenie 19' Sworks tarmac, rim braked, 60mm wheels with 23c at 140lbs. Good luck.

gurk700 10-02-19 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by popeye (Post 21147902)
I have easy mounting with the tire of my choice using a lever and I cannot imagine not using one. I would not limit my tire choices just to prove my fingers are macho. Well your crystal ball is broken as I have been on a team for 15 yrs, I put in 200 - 250 miles a week on a weight weenie 19' Sworks tarmac, rim braked, 60mm wheels with 23c at 140lbs. Good luck.

Omg do me right here.

pickettt 10-02-19 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by popeye (Post 21147902)

I agree that you shouldn’t choose tires based on ease of mounting. At the same time, I don’t see what your bio or your bike has to do with the willingness to learn a new skill.

pickettt 10-02-19 07:58 PM

For those who need levers to remove a tire, but not to reinstall one: At what point between taking the tire off and putting it back on did the dimensions of the rim and/or tire change that you no longer need the levers?

atwl77 10-02-19 09:37 PM

Being able to mount and unmounts tyres without levers is always a great skill to have, but regardless of whether you can or cannot do it, I always advocate carrying a tyre lever out in the field as a precaution/insurance. You never know when you've punctured in the middle of nowhere during a long ride, and your hands are all tired and hurting for some reason or other -- changing a tyre in the comforts of your home/garage/bike shop can sometimes be a lot different from doing it out on the road while tired/hurting/wet/rushing to meet a cutoff/whatever.

If you can still do it out in the field under adverse conditions, that's awesome. But if for some reason or other you're unable to... well, at least falling back to using a tyre lever is better than being stuck in the middle of nowhere.