Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Professional Cycling For the Fans (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=217)
-   -   TdF 2019 - Stage 10 SPOILER ALERT! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1178378)

Caretaker 07-15-19 09:25 AM

TdF 2019 - Stage 10 SPOILER ALERT!

SPOILER! SPOILER! SPOILER!

Wout van Aert (TJV), Viviani, Ewan.

Split in the peleton around 30kms to go, Pinot, Porte, Uran, Fuglsang and Landa caught out, also George Bennett who had his pockets full of bottles.

Dan Martin was in front group and must move up on GC. Second group over the line was +1' 40"and Landa group over 2 mins.

What a stage!!!

GrainBrain 07-15-19 12:00 PM

Oh education first why why why

Flatballer 07-15-19 02:25 PM

I haven't watched it, and may not get a chance to, but from what I understand EF were the first ones to drive the pace when they wind picked up, but somehow Uran still got caught out and lost a bunch of time?

How did they do the right thing and still end up on the short end? Was it simply that roundabout that they went the long way around, was that enough to gap them and they couldn't get back? That must be some roundabout.

one4smoke 07-16-19 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Flatballer (Post 21028402)
I haven't watched it, and may not get a chance to, but from what I understand EF were the first ones to drive the pace when they wind picked up, but somehow Uran still got caught out and lost a bunch of time?

How did they do the right thing and still end up on the short end? Was it simply that roundabout that they went the long way around, was that enough to gap them and they couldn't get back? That must be some roundabout.

Yaeh, I'll need to go back a watch that. Hard to believe a roundabout could create such havoc. :foo:

AnthonyG 07-16-19 07:20 AM

Michael Matthews and Sunweb blew it as well. At the end they still had the biggest team and were driving the pace incessantly which helped Ineos no end to gap the main rivals yet when the sprint launched Michael Matthews was worn out himself and couldn't pull it off. Sunweb were in a position where they could have eased off and let Ineos drive on if they wanted too and then recuperate. If they still had the numbers latter into the finnish they could have done better in my view.

Caretaker 07-16-19 07:36 AM

There wasn't a roundabout when the split happened. The roundabout was a couple of kms. before it, followed by a curve in the road that meant the wind direction changed. QuickStep then Ineos put the foot down and EF who had spent a lot of time earlier at the front of the peleton hadn't the legs to respond. The gap went to around 30secs. then came back as close as 12secs. but they couldn't bridge the gap and bit by bit it went out again. 1'40" & 2' 09" at the finish. Poor George Bennett, 4th at the start of the stage losing almost 10mins now 27th at +11mins.

GrainBrain 07-16-19 09:37 AM

It seemed like Matthews stayed way too long behind his leadout guy. He needs to start following his rivals wheels!

Ugh EF I get that you're showing your appreciation for being selected but geeze the big teams took full advantage to shove them into the ground.

Quickstep, Ineos knew they're vulnerable after the work and pounced. Right when they went to the back. How about Ag2r, cofidis, wanty do some frigging work up front huh?

Look at Quintana, Martin. Smart riding by them. Rigo why didn't you stay on G'!?!?!?

bikecrate 07-16-19 11:36 AM

This maybe simplistic, but why do the GC guys let this happen to them? The commentators knew a possible crosswinds battle was coming up, why wouldn't the team DS know too? Shouldn't they be telling their riders to get up front at the crucial time?

asgelle 07-16-19 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by GrainBrain (Post 21029721)
Ugh EF I get that you're showing your appreciation for being selected but geeze the big teams took full advantage to shove them into the ground.

Great insight except for the fact that EF are ProTour and so not a discretionary selection.

asgelle 07-16-19 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by bikecrate (Post 21029954)
This maybe simplistic, but why do the GC guys let this happen to them? The commentators knew a possible crosswinds battle was coming up, why wouldn't the team DS know too? Shouldn't they be telling their riders to get up front at the crucial time?

Have you ever seen a miss-and-out at the track?

bikecrate 07-17-19 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by asgelle (Post 21030788)
Have you ever seen a miss-and-out at the track?

No, I'm not familiar with that term.

Flatballer 07-17-19 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by bikecrate (Post 21031533)
No, I'm not familiar with that term.

More fun name is "devil take the hindmost", elimination also.

Track race where the last person across the line after the bell rings is eliminated. My favorite race. Their point is that it's very easy to think you're safe and in the middle of the pack and then suddenly you look around and you're out.

bikecrate 07-17-19 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Flatballer (Post 21031578)
More fun name is "devil take the hindmost", elimination also.

Track race where the last person across the line after the bell rings is eliminated. My favorite race. Their point is that it's very easy to think you're safe and in the middle of the pack and then suddenly you look around and you're out.

Got it... :)