Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Track Tire Questions (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=925396)

lotus1 04-27-22 02:29 PM

Question...I'm new to track cycling and just ordered my first set of Carbon CSC track wheels in a 25mm width, tubular. Would it be an issue if I run 23mm tires? I've heard good things about the Vittoria Corsa Speed tires and wanted to order some in a 23mm. Just want to know if that would be an issue? thanks in advance.

Morelock 04-28-22 04:22 AM

should be fine overall, may want to be a little extra careful when mounting to get them centered is all

lotus1 04-28-22 08:25 AM

Thank you.

RyanSES 05-11-22 06:29 PM

After how many kilometres should you start to think about replacing a Vittoria PistaSpeed tubular on a rear wheel? Sounds silly but because the tyre is smooth, I’m unsure how much it has worn.

Ridden on an indoor wooden track.

Thanks!

m@tty 05-12-22 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by RyanSES (Post 22503279)
After how many kilometres should you start to think about replacing a Vittoria PistaSpeed tubular on a rear wheel? Sounds silly but because the tyre is smooth, I’m unsure how much it has worn.

Thanks!

I would replace when you get a flat spot round the circumference.

Morelock 05-12-22 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by RyanSES (Post 22503279)

Thanks!

For a tire in that scenario (indoor, presumably pretty nice track surface but a fragile tire) your eyes will likely be the best determiner. Every few sessions give it a good inspection, looking for any nicks in the tread, and also inspect the sidewall for any wear/damage, and as above, flat spots. In my experience with the really nice tires, it's usually one sudden event that ends it's life, not a gradual wear down, but of course ymmv.

Baby Puke 05-15-22 06:44 AM

Just make sure the glue job is still good. A tire will last a good long time if used only indoors.

brian44 06-28-22 02:43 AM

Soo…where is everyone getting their tires these days? I cannot find anything in stock (Vittoria, Velofex, etc.).

topflightpro 06-29-22 08:50 AM

Brooks Cycles UK

Morelock 06-29-22 08:51 AM

Supply chain is still a problem with Vittoria, been running Records. Veloflex has most everything in stock if you order from them directly.

brian44 07-03-22 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Morelock (Post 22557844)
Supply chain is still a problem with Vittoria, been running Records. Veloflex has most everything in stock if you order from them directly.

Thank you. Ordered from Veloflex. I have some Vittoria Pistas by the grace of Buddha (my coach) as well.

merlin3008 01-28-23 08:15 AM

Hey all...I had a track tire question for you. My daughter is entering her second year of track racing, and since she is growing fast, I'm building up a new bike for her ahead of the season. I have a set of heavier training wheels and a lighter set a race wheels. The training wheels are a set of Mavic Reflex Tubulars. The race wheels are the newer Zipp 404 V2 track wheels. I can use them too so I figured why not? Now it's time to think about tires.

Our Velodrome here is pretty smooth concrete. The banking is not all that steep. She will be racing at the Velosports Center in Carson this year though. That is indoor, wood, and incredibly steep. I was thinking about putting Continental Sprinters on the trainers and Tempo II on the Zipps. Now the question is width. Both come in 22. Will this width work on both rims? Should I get 25s for the training wheels?

What say you? Thanks in advance.