Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Bicycle Mechanics (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Replacement for Shimano ST-M050 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1160127)

nb2716 11-12-18 05:42 PM

Replacement for Shimano ST-M050

Rebuilding an older Schwinn Mountain Bike, was messing with these Shimano ST-M050 shifters for hours. Now that I have them freed up I find the pressed in nut on the right shifter is broken, not permitting reliable down shifting. Can anyone recommend a replacement? Like to keep the original look as much as possible. Would a Shimano ST-EF51 work? I saw something on Amazon stating that they won't work with with cantilever brakes which is the brake system I have. Thanks for your recommendations.

Bill Kapaun 11-12-18 11:08 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6fd13d2f45.jpg
They will work IF you get the "4 finger" version.
They will have a 4 in the suffix.
You move the red plastic plug. V Brake position shown.

nb2716 11-13-18 08:51 AM

Awesome. Thanks that was fast. The EF51 was just a swag on my part. Do you have a better recommendation? Thanks again.

Bill Kapaun 11-13-18 08:59 AM

EF-65's are a bit "better"
It's probably more like-
What can you find in the 4 finger version w/ the correct number of speeds?
Either will work fine.

nb2716 11-13-18 09:03 PM

Ok. EF-65s I'll keep my eyes open. Meanwhile I got the M050 working but of course for how long. I was able to put the pressed nut back in and using a punch peen it into place. Seems to be holding. But if if find a reasonably priced replacement it is probably best in the long run. Finding the EF-51 with the cantilever option so far has been a bit of a challenge.
Thanks for all your help. Tried to post pictures but I guess I need 10 more posts before I'm allowed to upload a picture. If you interesed enough maybe I can send them directly - Thanks for your advice.

Andrew R Stewart 11-13-18 09:11 PM

nb2716- I don't know where you live but here in the USA we have a whole sale supplier to many of your LBSs in Quality Bicycle Products. They show current availability of the ST-EF65 in 3x7,8,9 and with either canti or linear brake cable pulls. Part #s LD7572/LD7582/LD7588. Of course only a bonified bike shop can order from them. Andy

nb2716 11-13-18 09:25 PM

AndrewRStewart - We have an Eddy's here in Cleveland. If I can't find a decent pair in our Ohio City Bike Coop I'll stop in at Eddy's. Thanks for the part numbers that will help.

Andrew R Stewart 11-13-18 10:13 PM

nb2716- I use to own Bike One on Coventry Rd. My wife worked at the CMA in Uni Square. I don't think any of my old employees still works for Eddies, Jeff Joseph or John Mulryan, but if so tell them hi from me. Good luck hunting the used bins:) Andy

Le Mechanic 11-14-18 10:16 PM

V-brakes are pretty inexpensive and work better than canti's. Why not upgrade and expand your options?

nb2716 11-18-18 06:47 PM

Just might do that. The bike won't be a rider for me, probably donate it to the local coop. Can't really justify cost and performance wise but I do like to keep things original if I can. I'm going junk pile diving in the local places next couple of weeks. If nothing turns up I'm going to look into upgrading as you're right, it will work better and in the long run be cheaper. Thanks for the reply.

nfmisso 11-18-18 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic (Post 20663700)
V-brakes are pretty inexpensive and work better than canti's. Why not upgrade and expand your options?

V-brakes are easier to set up than cantis; BUT there is no performance difference between properly set up cantis and properly set up V-brakes.

Viich 05-19-19 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by nfmisso (Post 20668768)
V-brakes are easier to set up than cantis; BUT there is no performance difference between properly set up cantis and properly set up V-brakes.

I question that the v-brakes are easier to set up - I almost always mess with them longer and more often than my canti's, and I prefer the braking of the cantilever brakes as well.