Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Spin Class (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1153911)

IvyGodivy 08-28-18 09:21 AM

Spin Class

Yes I am signing up for Spin Class at my gym. I made some inquiries for this is completely a new area for me whcih I was informed to do it properly I need SPD clips (don't use clips for prefer spiked flat pedals). I heard of a few popular brands but what is the preferred by people on here? Velcro or lace? Is there different type/brands of SPD clips to consider?

woodcraft 08-28-18 09:34 AM

The bikes usually have dual sided pedals w/ toe clips, so you don't need cycling shoes to get started.

I use (a previous version of) these- walkable soles without mountain style lugs.

https://www.giro.com/us_en/products/...eflective.html

Any 2 bolt (SPD) type shoe with a recessed cleat is fine- not good to scrape around on gym floors with exposed metal cleat.

Cheap shoes can be stiff & uncomfortable so there's that.

Dudelsack 08-28-18 09:38 AM

$80 spuds should do the trick.

IvyGodivy 08-28-18 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by woodcraft (Post 20532592)
The bikes usually have dual sided pedals w/ toe clips, so you don't need cycling shoes to get started.

I use (a previous version of) these- walkable soles without mountain style lugs.

https://www.giro.com/us_en/products/...eflective.html

Any 2 bolt (SPD) type shoe with a recessed cleat is fine- not good to scrape around on gym floors with exposed metal cleat.

Cheap shoes can be stiff & uncomfortable so there's that.

They are the ones that told me it's not toe, it's SPD. I had to Google it to see what they were talking about.

Originally Posted by Dudelsack (Post 20532603)
$80 spuds should do the trick.

Thanks. Will see if I can get that on Zappos.

woodcraft 08-28-18 10:13 AM

Not sure who 'they' refers to.

This is the common pedal style for spin bikes.

https://www.fitnessequipmentestore.c...iABEgKM-fD_BwE

I would just go do the class w/ regular shoes & take it from there. See what others are wearing.

Cycling shoes are a good idea IMO, but not essential.

Maelochs 08-28-18 10:23 AM

I doubt they only have pedals accommodating cycling shoes because not a lot of people are going to try out a class with an $80-$200 price tag (for the shoes) only to find they don't like it.

Shoe fit is really important---and from my experience more important in a spin class because (at least for me) I was riding high to higher intensity the whole time, so hot spots under and on top of the foot which wouldn't develop in road cycling showed up in the spin class. As twice, or go look at the bikes.

Alternately, you could bring your own pedals. Pedals swap out as a rule with a 9/16 or 15 -mm flat wrench or with (I think) an 8-mm allen key from the back.

I really enjoyed spin class---would still do it if my schedule allowed.

MAK 08-28-18 02:44 PM

Go to the gym and look at the pedals to be absolutely sure. Most likely you'll find spd/flat w/cage. I've been spinning for +10 years and the classes are half sneakers, half spd shoes. Wear what you want.

IvyGodivy 08-28-18 07:39 PM

I don’t get why everyone is doubting me. I am a member at Edge Fitness whom supplies Spin Classes with the membership and I talked to one of the people there and they are using SPD’s.

Change pedals? Seriously? No thanks.

Side note I found a YT video of a woman showing how to install SPD’s on a pair of Keen Sandals where are my go to shoes for the summer and at times the Adidas.

That is cool and going to see if I can get that.

brianmcg123 08-28-18 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by IvyGodivy (Post 20533849)
I don’t get why everyone is doubting me. I am a member at Edge Fitness whom supplies Spin Classes with the membership and I talked to one of the people there and they are using SPD’s.

Change pedals? Seriously? No thanks.

Side note I found a YT video of a woman showing how to install SPD’s on a pair of Keen Sandals where are my go to shoes for the summer and at times the Adidas.

That is cool and going to see if I can get that.

Nobody is doubting they use SPDs. But every spin bike I have ever been on has double sided pedals. One side is for bike shoes with SPD cleats. The other is a toe clip and strap that you can wear any kid of shoe with.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a2d49fa6ff.jpg

Machka 08-28-18 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by brianmcg123 (Post 20533874)
Nobody is doubting they use SPDs. But every spin bike I have ever been on has double sided pedals. One side is for bike shoes with SPD cleats. The other is a toe clip and strap that you can wear any kid of shoe with.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a2d49fa6ff.jpg

Yes, this.

AbsoluteMike 08-28-18 08:55 PM

I've thought about joining a cycling class at my gym, maybe winter I'll give it a go

coupster 08-28-18 09:12 PM

The local YMCA has a mish-mash of manufacturers and models of spin bikes and they all have dual sided pedals. But it is possible that your gym has removed the clips and turned the functional 2 sided pedals into pedals with only 1 really usable side - SPD. But before you spend any $ on anything or even sign up for a class, I'd recommend watching a class. There is only one spin instructor at the Y that treats the spin bike like a bicycle. His workouts are killer as they mimic the motions and demands of a real world bike rider - sprints, intervals, slog climbs, etc even single pedal drills.. The other instructors treat the spin bike as just another piece of aerobic equipment. They have the students bounce up and down on the bike, carry hand weights and do upper body weight moves while pedaling and other absurdities that no cyclist would ever think of doing on a bike. Great aerobic workout but not what I'm looking for in a spin class. I take a spin class to improve my outdoor performance not just exercise my cardio systems. You have to make sure your goals are in line with the instructor's, otherwise you won't get what you want out of a class.

Doctor Morbius 08-29-18 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by coupster (Post 20533994)
... They have the students bounce up and down on the bike, carry hand weights and do upper body weight moves while pedaling and other absurdities that no cyclist would ever think of doing on a bike.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...0435678fba.gif I'd probably have a very difficult time keeping my yap shut around an instructor like that.

woodcraft 08-29-18 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by coupster (Post 20533994)
The local YMCA has a mish-mash of manufacturers and models of spin bikes and they all have dual sided pedals. But it is possible that your gym has removed the clips and turned the functional 2 sided pedals into pedals with only 1 really usable side - SPD. But before you spend any $ on anything or even sign up for a class, I'd recommend watching a class. There is only one spin instructor at the Y that treats the spin bike like a bicycle. His workouts are killer as they mimic the motions and demands of a real world bike rider - sprints, intervals, slog climbs, etc even single pedal drills.. The other instructors treat the spin bike as just another piece of aerobic equipment. They have the students bounce up and down on the bike, carry hand weights and do upper body weight moves while pedaling and other absurdities that no cyclist would ever think of doing on a bike. Great aerobic workout but not what I'm looking for in a spin class. I take a spin class to improve my outdoor performance not just exercise my cardio systems. You have to make sure your goals are in line with the instructor's, otherwise you won't get what you want out of a class.

Good point. I tried out a class that involved some upper body pumping, clapping, & even holding hands w/ folks on either side of you.

The one I go to is close enough to cycling oriented to work.

IvyGodivy 08-29-18 06:18 AM

I don't see any issue with the up and down and other wacky things; keeps it interesting. The pedaling alone will have carry over to outside biking or biking in general.

As for try it before spend the money I hear ya but on the flip-side and I know I said I would never do this (I have to stop saying I will never do this) is that I now want clip pedals. I have the proper tool to swap them so on one day want to go flat pedals and another clip I can do so in about 1 minute; on my bike that is.

On a side note I know how I can get around the ladies so need to keep myself in check. I still remember before the 2k (late 90's) the body thong and training at a kickboxing school. Shorts tend to slide down. On top of it the studio was down the street from a strip club where the employees there tend to train at our gym.

Yeah this is going to get interesting.

burnthesheep 08-29-18 06:36 AM

I know spiked flats is a legit mtb/downhill thing. I always think though the first time there is an incident where those meet the shins, some spd's would start looking reallllly good.

Ask me how I know....

Also, could always take a pedal wrench with you and your pedals. We have Cycleops 400 pro's at our work gym with a combo of SPD and toe strap. Guys still swap them out for their SPD SL's or Looks then swap back when done.

FWIW, try the GCN show youtube workout videos. They have both spin class and mountain climbing videos.

IvyGodivy 08-29-18 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by burnthesheep (Post 20534299)
I know spiked flats is a legit mtb/downhill thing. I always think though the first time there is an incident where those meet the shins, some spd's would start looking reallllly good.

Ask me how I know....

Also, could always take a pedal wrench with you and your pedals. We have Cycleops 400 pro's at our work gym with a combo of SPD and toe strap. Guys still swap them out for their SPD SL's or Looks then swap back when done.

FWIW, try the GCN show youtube workout videos. They have both spin class and mountain climbing videos.

What I love about the spike pedals is it keeps my feet from slipping and I can wear any shoes I want. My primary go to shoes are: Keen Sandals (one of the Newport brands), and Adidas. I love the Keens for I am known to go on trails that lead to water and being able to walk right in is a plus.

But I also see the clips benefit. Anyway I am in the market and watched so many GCN videos I think I am starting to talk like them.

fietsbob 08-29-18 10:42 AM

A couple years ago, for a local spin class, a customer bought road shoes,
and we fitted a SPD Cleat flanked by laterally stabilizing pontoons .

Made for using those cleats on road shoes ..
after the session, you take off those shoes ..
and put on shoes you prefer for your daily lifestyle..

If you want to bring your own pedals and a pedal wrench
to replace the ones on the class' stationary bikes, that's another choice..

IvyGodivy 08-29-18 10:50 AM

***Update***
Bought Shimano pedals: flat one-side and clips on the other and it comes with SPD clips Amazon.
Just got back from a bike store about 30-minutes ago with a pair of Giant bike shoes (multi-purpose). I tried those and the Shimano but the Shimano's the largest they had was a 11.8 and the Giant I needed a 13 (I am a 12 on normal shoes).

I am excited to get started on this; NOT excited about getting up at 4:30am to get ready and get to the gym on-time. I can at least sleep-in on weekends.

IvyGodivy 08-29-18 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20534822)
A couple years ago, for a local spin class, a customer bought road shoes,
and we fitted a SPD Cleat flanked by laterally stabilizing pontoons .

Made for using those cleats on road shoes ..
after the session, you take off those shoes ..
and put on shoes you prefer for your daily lifestyle..

If you want to bring your own pedals and a pedal wrench
to replace the ones on the class' stationary bikes, that's another choice..

No interest in putting pedals on and off the bikes. That would be overkill. But I am planning to come in with my Birkenstocks or flip-flops, put on the shoes (why I got velcro), do the class, and swap shoes again.

Teamprovicycle 08-29-18 11:24 AM

I got a 3 hole spd adapter so i just run my road shoes

Milton Keynes 08-29-18 03:52 PM

I tried a spin class once but had to quit because I got too dizzy.

Ba dum chissss

caloso 08-29-18 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Machka (Post 20533895)
Yes, this.

Same.

Dudelsack 09-04-18 09:15 AM

On Amazon they have Gavin MTB shoes for spin classes for $48. It would cost another $15 to get some SH56. Can't beat it with a stick.

IvyGodivy 09-05-18 08:08 AM

Using Giant shoes and going to my 3rd class tomorrow. Already feeling the pain and benefits. A lot of carry over to my riding and conditioning in general; the instructors are a perk too. :thumb: