Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Singlespeed & Fixed Gear (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   Precision Ball Bearing Inside Frame! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1179095)

Avalle14 07-22-19 08:45 PM

Precision Ball Bearing Inside Frame!

I was cleaning out my bottom bracket and one of the ball bearings got out the cage.

The thing about my frame is that it has holes that allow ball bearings to go through and this time, the ball went through the hole and is now stuck inside my frame.

Its pretty annoying as it makes noise everytime I ride it because its moving all around.

Any suggestions on getting it out??

rm -rf 07-22-19 09:00 PM

Where did it go?

If there's no cables or bearings in that part of the frame, a drop of glue could capture the ball bearing and keep it from rattling.

I think Gorilla Glue would work. It foams up, so test with a small drop on a bottle cap or something similar, to see how much it expands. It takes a couple of minutes to foam. You won't need much. One drop into the hole, wait a minute or two, then shake the frame until the ball sticks to the glue. Wait an hour for it to harden. Gorilla Glue is useful for a lot of tricky gluing projects.

eja_ bottecchia 07-22-19 09:03 PM

Fish it out with a magnet...unless it is a ceramic bearing.

seau grateau 07-22-19 10:37 PM

Shake it for a while?

Avalle14 07-22-19 11:10 PM

These are all great suggestions, Il have to try them as soon as I can! Will get back soon.

EnzoRWD 07-23-19 10:46 AM

this was a common prank we pulled when I worked at a shop. pull the seatpost, drop 1-5 BBs down there on the other mechanic's bike. preferably push 'em into the top tube. wait for results.

TimothyH 07-23-19 11:25 AM

Are there such a thing as non-precision ball bearings?

Maybe BSO bikes come with those.

phobus 07-23-19 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 21041069)
Are there such a thing as non-precision ball bearings?

Sure. They come in a variety of sizes, whether you want them to or not. :)

BicycleBicycle 07-23-19 06:40 PM

I would think that the fastest way to do this would be to remove yoru seaptost or to remove your bars and just pull your forks out. Then shake and use gravity.
A lot of frames have holes in the top/bottom tube near the center of where they welded them onto the headtube (YMMV).
I've been told that this is done so that ventilation can exist when welding to prevent any warpage.
No clue how true that is.

hairnet 07-24-19 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by seau grateau (Post 21040344)
Shake it for a while?

Reminds me of dropping a spoke nipple in my Deep V rim.

BicycleBicycle 07-24-19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by hairnet (Post 21042138)
Reminds me of dropping a spoke nipple in my Deep V rim.

Ahah. I did that once.
Someone at the bike place taught me a trick to prevent that from happening when threading spokes. Keep a broken spoke around, and thread said spoke onto the TOP of the nipple you're about to insert.
Then, you can just hold it there while you thread.
Same goes for un-threading it. You thread onto your broken spoke as you un-thread the nipple.