Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1105191)

himespau 06-23-17 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 19670911)
What in the world is going on here?

https://images.businessoffashion.com...ixlib=js-1.0.5

It's like mc escher made a pullover jacket.m

tetonrider 06-23-17 10:52 AM

Scandal rocks Cat 3 race(s) @ Tulsa Tough.

Apparently the dude who won the race described above brought back the winning break the day before.

I know some folks here have raced Tulsa Tough and possibly Cat 3 there.

TheKillerPenguin 06-23-17 11:01 AM

That's really really dumb. There were so many other solutions besides the one they came up with.

globecanvas 06-23-17 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by tetonrider (Post 19672538)

Apparently the dude who won the race described above brought back the winning break the day before.

tldr: two guys raced Tulsa Tough cat 3 using other people's licenses. One was a cat 2 and he "animated the race" by chasing the break one day and finishing 2nd the next day.

I don't have any idea what this "knife fight" bull**** is about and don't care.

rubiksoval 06-23-17 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by tetonrider (Post 19672538)

So, what happened? They're a cat 4 and a cat 2 that raced under someone else's cat 3 license? And then won?

That's all so...stupid. :lol:

Of course, I'd be pissed if I were a 3 in that race... Yikes! But still, what a bunch of craziness.

globecanvas 06-23-17 11:10 AM

Hey, remember a couple weeks ago when we were talking about whether you get asked to show your license or not when you sign in to a race? Either these guys both got away without showing their licenses at packet pick-up, or took the trouble to fake licenses (screenshots of the other guys' licenses or whatever).

TheKillerPenguin 06-23-17 11:13 AM

They couldn't have like, done an open cat training race? Or a racey group ride? This is like the Burn After Reading of bike race BS.

rubiksoval 06-23-17 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 19672597)
Hey, remember a couple weeks ago when we were talking about whether you get asked to show your license or not when you sign in to a race? Either these guys both got away without showing their licenses at packet pick-up, or took the trouble to fake licenses (screenshots of the other guys' licenses or whatever).

Yeaahhh. Hahaha.

I was always under the impression of ... everyone races each other all the time so it'd be crazy to race under someone else's name. But I guess in big races that can pass a lot more easily, especially for two dudes (and the actual license dudes) that never race.

What a bunch of knuckleheads. Wonder what will come of that? Suspended for a few months? Banned from future Tulsa Tough editions? Nothing?

I can see the ****storm that would have occurred had either of them crashed.

mike868y 06-23-17 11:59 AM

i mean they went through the trouble to write multiple blog posts about this **** so it's not a stretch to think they'd figure out how to "fake" a license.

topflightpro 06-23-17 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by rubiksoval (Post 19672608)
I can see the ****storm that would have occurred had either of them crashed.

Yeah, that would be huge. It's a major liability for the promoter if a racer competes out of category. The promotoer and other racers could get sued. The waivers basically become null. And the insurer covering the race could completely walk away and not cover any of it.

aaronmcd 06-23-17 12:12 PM

For some reason I just think this is funny. But what happened, the cat 2 dude maybe forgot to downgrade? But what was the cat 4 guy's plan? Hope he gets his upgrade in time?

TMonk 06-23-17 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 19672604)
They couldn't have like, done an open cat training race? Or a racey group ride? This is like the Burn After Reading of bike race BS.

love that movie haha

Ygduf 06-23-17 03:12 PM

my morning commute is full of kind people

Ygduf 06-23-17 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 19672604)

Imma win a huge cat 3 race and _then_ downgrade to cat 3...

caloso 06-23-17 03:21 PM

What did convertible guy say?

Ygduf 06-23-17 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 19673181)
What did convertible guy say?

he didn't say ****.

incident started a few blocks earlier where I swung a little into the car lane entering an intersection because two cars were stacked at a stoplight and I wanted the right-turning car to be able to see me/not pull into me. Volvo guy got up >< right next to me, honked and flipped me off.

So I chased up to him and asked if he preferred I just ride alongside his car.

After the video ends I may or may not have rolled up on him again at the next stoplight and called him a *****-ass-mother****er-****ing-idiot and invited him to step out of the car so I could beat his ass in front of his kid.

He declined.

I know it is not smart to escalate these things, but I'm human and I chose a time when he was boxed in and unable to maneuver to hit me.

globecanvas 06-23-17 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 19673203)
After the video ends I may or may not have rolled up on him again at the next stoplight and called him a *****-ass-mother****er-****ing-idiot and invited him to step out of the car so I could beat his ass in front of his kid

Yes, I saw his dash cam
video of that part on convertible-forums.net, titled "my commute is full of kind cyclists."

Ygduf 06-23-17 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 19673211)
Yes, I saw his dash cam
video of that part on convertible-forums.net, titled "my commute is full of kind cyclists."

:love:

at least I threaten with risk to myself. better than brake checks and swerving from inside a car. :P

globecanvas 06-23-17 04:05 PM

Years ago my 8 months pregnant wife was crossing the street (in the crosswalk) in the city and almost got right-hooked by a car turning thru the intersection. She banged the hood with the classic Ratso Rizzo "I'm walking here!" And the guy got out of his car with a baseball bat. We ran away (well, she waddled). Since then I have been aggressively anti-escalation. I don't mean that with any sort of judgement, just saying, there are some straight up psychos out there.

tetonrider 06-23-17 04:23 PM

i know a dude who signed up for a big event in the cat 4 field thinking he would be a cat 4 at the time -- but it never happened. at least that's what he told me after RACING the cat 4 field as a cat 5.

that event takes whoever they can get as volunteers. how strict do you think they are checking licenses? i mean, they checked mine, but depending on who you get it would be pretty easy to cover a name or cover the category....or maybe talk your way through it.

usually the folks at reg are (a) nice and (b) more interested in getting you out of there than looking for cheaters.

i can see how it happened.

another dude that i raced against was a 4 who was doing well and started racing cat 3. no one really questioned it as we all just assumed he got the upgrade.

except he didn't.

he did so well that he applied (with legit results) to upgrade to cat 2.

USAC then figured out he never got a cat 3 upgrade approved, so he lost all his results and was suspended. wound up being enough of a setback that he just moved onto another sport.

he entered 10 or more events as a non-cat-3.

i guess it happens.

Originally Posted by aaronmcd (Post 19672751)
For some reason I just think this is funny. But what happened, the cat 2 dude maybe forgot to downgrade? But what was the cat 4 guy's plan? Hope he gets his upgrade in time?

i just scanned the article, but i thought he actually downgraded.

that itself is pretty lame, as "time off" by itself is not a reason one should downgrade, and as fudgy implied winning a big race immediately after downgrading is not something that should happen.

it's just a stupid bike race, and yet this kind of stuff is so lame. we have dopers denying people a chance to stand on a podium, and now there is stuff like this?

say what you will about amateur sport and the value of a cat 3 podium, but whoever finished 2nd and missed out on standing on top of that podium that night definitely missed out on something that is actually kind of cool.

(actually, i think maybe they did get to stand on the podium -- maybe -- but they were denied the chance to cross the line and throw their hands in the air, which at Tulsa Tough is probably about as cool an experience as a cat 3 can have.)

tetonrider 06-23-17 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 19673253)
Years ago my 8 months pregnant wife was crossing the street (in the crosswalk) in the city

San Francisco?

LA?

Salt Lake?

Boston?

Rochester?

:)

(Sorry... I grew up in the "tri-state area", and that seemed SOOO official, until later in life I would hear people talking about their own personal version of it as though it was unique.)

Originally Posted by globecanvas
and almost got right-hooked by a car turning thru the intersection. She banged the hood with the classic Ratso Rizzo "I'm walking here!" And the guy got out of his car with a baseball bat. We ran away (well, she waddled). Since then I have been aggressively anti-escalation. I don't mean that with any sort of judgement, just saying, there are some straight up psychos out there.

damn.

i'm no saint and have definitely escalated a few situations, but i tend to focus on the kindness-in-response-to-aggressiveness when on the bike.

i know some folks feel they are wronged (legitimately) and/or that they have the legal grounds to ride or respond in a certain way, but in these situations we already know that someone has a 4,000# weapon at their disposal, and who knows if there is a bat, a gun or whatever in the passenger seat.

clearly these folks have something else WAY worse going on in their lives to get this angry at a cyclist.

Ygduf 06-23-17 04:53 PM

I try to be nice. Notice I didn't even curse at the dude when he tried to scare me. Just asked if he preferred I stay in the bike lane, along his car, since he was in such a hurry and I wouldn't want to risk "inconveniencing" him a second time.

spdntrxi 06-23-17 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 19673203)
he didn't say ****.

incident started a few blocks earlier where I swung a little into the car lane entering an intersection because two cars were stacked at a stoplight and I wanted the right-turning car to be able to see me/not pull into me. Volvo guy got up >< right next to me, honked and flipped me off.

So I chased up to him and asked if he preferred I just ride alongside his car.

After the video ends I may or may not have rolled up on him again at the next stoplight and called him a *****-ass-mother****er-****ing-idiot and invited him to step out of the car so I could beat his ass in front of his kid.

He declined.

I know it is not smart to escalate these things, but I'm human and I chose a time when he was boxed in and unable to maneuver to hit me.

I would have said the samething... and I'm not 6'3"..

tetonrider 06-23-17 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 19673330)
I try to be nice. Notice I didn't even curse at the dude when he tried to scare me. Just asked if he preferred I stay in the bike lane, along his car, since he was in such a hurry and I wouldn't want to risk "inconveniencing" him a second time.

i don't think you did anything wrong at all--i was just speaking generically and responding to GC.

sucks you had to deal with that.

miyata man 06-23-17 06:19 PM

Dear "Sleepless In San Francisco",

Instead of responding with a litany of expletives half directed at a child. Pay the DMV $ for the information based off their license plate, which includes insurance agency, and send their policy holder a link to the clip and explanation of their behavior. Cops, don't care about this type of nonsense anymore. The person who can rake in another couple grand a year in premiums will love you. You can even remain anonymous.

RR tomorrow, of course Superbug 2017 lays me low yet again at the 11th hour. After my ride flaked and every other opportunity to somehow get 80 miles away went awry. See, I didn't curse once about the paroxysms of coughing or any of the other unpleasant circumstances. Much less at an undeserving child.