Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fatbikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=336)
-   -   Finally did a "proper" Century ride on the Fattie (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1170156)

Carl J 04-08-19 08:15 PM

Finally did a "proper" Century ride on the Fattie

Last month, I accidentally improperly titled my post with "Imperial", when in fact it was the much cheaper Canadian "Metric" version.

So, I decided to do a redo, and get in a proper metric ride, and then some (I think it translates to around 160 miles?).

And no, that is not a dog in the middle of the city street (and what you can't see, and I didn't see at the time, is a second on the right, walking towards me)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...e18c766f27.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...28a30a3f23.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...72e03ba27e.jpg

ThermionicScott 04-08-19 08:56 PM

Well done! I can't imagine riding 200k on one of those. :thumb:

superdex 04-08-19 11:01 PM

Nice job! That's a long day, regardless of bike.

202Km = 125.52 miles, for what it's worth.

wbrazell 04-09-19 12:37 PM

IMPRESSIVE! Also, nice bike.

Carl J 04-11-19 04:13 AM

Thank you everyone.

The long rides are actually not too bad on this thing, as long as you're not riding into the wind 😁

I'm actually trying to get ready to do a 322km (200 mile) "Hairshirt" ride in June, on one of my other bikes. So figure this bike would be a great way to prepare for that.

Hondo Gravel 04-11-19 09:20 AM

Great ride! Haven’t been on my fatbike in awhile but you’re photos have giving me renewed motivation to get fatty rolling again. Don’t try to pet those dogs ( urban coyotes ) :lol:

HerrKaLeun 04-12-19 08:24 PM

That is impressive, even on a skinny bike.
I rode a metric century with my hybrid last weekend and was spent.

ColonelSanders 04-13-19 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Carl J (Post 20879483)
Thank you everyone.

The long rides are actually not too bad on this thing, as long as you're not riding into the wind 😁

I'm actually trying to get ready to do a 322km (200 mile) "Hairshirt" ride in June, on one of my other bikes. So figure this bike would be a great way to prepare for that.

Why is your Toughroad retired?

Carl J 04-14-19 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders (Post 20883131)
Why is your Toughroad retired?

I liked the bike. Was great for commuting (especially when dealing with potholes and street car tracks).

Just found that it was pretty limited for me. Out of the bikes I have, it didn't do anything great, especially in the winter.

Now I have a bike just for racing, have another for long rides/dirt, and now the fatty for dirt and winter riding (this was the key to getting it). The Toughroad just doesn't really fit in, as the Kona pretty much can do what the Giant can, and more (although slightly slower sometimes).

If I didn't have the Felt, I'd consider getting the Toughroad with the dropbars.

Rajflyboy 04-14-19 07:13 PM

Awesome

rumrunn6 04-19-19 12:59 PM

astonishing human endurance :thumb: did you start before it was light out? nice photo of the coyote!

Carl J 04-21-19 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 20891940)
astonishing human endurance :thumb: did you start before it was light out? nice photo of the coyote!

Started at 5am. Sunrise was just before 7.

I wanted to leave early, so that I could be back before sunrise (really don't like dealing with traffic up here after sunset ).

The coyotes (male and female) were interesting. Right on a main road, and they have no fear, but yet will leave you alone. The people around there know of them (I also came across them last fall)

FatBikerKP 05-19-19 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Carl J (Post 20879483)
Thank you everyone.

Definately, Fatso helps you to prepare for your endurance rides. When you ride these machines for 200kms, than riding Road Bikes or MTB's just feels effortless. These Fatties boost up your physical and mental strength.
And your bike is a attractive piece :cheers:

lexicooper914 06-20-19 01:16 AM

I like your bike

Banzai 06-21-19 10:22 AM

Just because you CAN do a century on a fat bike, doesn’t mean you have to.

rangie 06-21-19 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by FatBikerKP (Post 20937827)
Definately, Fatso helps you to prepare for your endurance rides. When you ride these machines for 200kms, than riding Road Bikes or MTB's just feels effortless. These Fatties boost up your physical and mental strength.

From Bycyclerollingresistance.com--

Comparing similar tread patterns and puncture protection from the same manufacturer,
Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance at 25psi-- 30.8 watts
Schwalbe Jumbo Jim Snakeskin at 8psi-- 38.2 watts

Fat penalty- 14.8 watts for the pair. :)

Vs fast road tire

Continental GP5000 25mm at 100psi-- 10.7 watts

Fat penalty- 55 watts :twitchy:

Banzai 06-22-19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by rangie (Post 20990198)

Comparing similar tread patterns and puncture protection from the same manufacturer,

Vs fast road tire

55 watts is an embarrassingly large percentage of my power output.

Carl J 07-12-19 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by rangie (Post 20990198)

Vs fast road tire

That's if you do 18 mph / 28.8 km/h with either pair of tires. I don't think there's too many people that go out to do a century+ with a goal of averaging those speeds over the course of the ride. But then again you don't ride a fatty to go fast, you ride them because they're fun :)

Also, there's the aerodynamics of the bike and your position vs a road bike, which I think makes a BIGGER difference. Any head wind makes it exponentially harder to move, but the opposite is true.

These tires though, once you get them going, can really move. I'm surprised at how fast I've gone on this bike on straight flat stretches.

Also, I do have the GP5000 on my aero bike, running at 120psi (10.0 Watts). So ya, you do notice a "small" difference :D

Davesnhere 07-24-19 08:50 AM

Awesome Achievement!

JehD 07-26-19 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Carl J (Post 20876001)

Nice shot of the Coyote. I live in the SW mountains and love hearing those guys at night. You can hear them training their puppies to howl in the spring but its rare even here to catch them during the daylight.

Carl J 08-19-19 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by JehD (Post 21046768)
Nice shot of the Coyote. I live in the SW mountains and love hearing those guys at night. You can hear them training their puppies to howl in the spring but its rare even here to catch them during the daylight.

A few years back (5-10), there was a real problem with coyotes in the city (Toronto, ON). That one there in the pic (there's a second one out of view), I've seen several times now over the last year, and they're well known in that neighbourhood. That specific day, I warned some people about them, and they shrugged it off.

And there's other ones that I've also crossed paths with in the city, early in the morning.

Don't think I've ever heard them how though