Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Just say hello to everyone here (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1185224)

yubaoeocaw 10-07-19 05:22 AM

Just say hello to everyone here

I am so happy that i have become a member of this great site finally. I wrote this post to test how to make a good post here. Are there are anyone can give me some tips about how to write a meaningful post here? Best wishes to everyone!

Flip Flop Rider 10-07-19 08:02 AM

you are on your way

bpcyclist 10-07-19 08:15 AM

I'm new, too, but I decided to just get to it.

Flip Flop Rider 10-07-19 08:30 AM

keep doing what you're doing and you will fit in nicely

Phil_gretz 10-07-19 10:36 AM

Enthusiasm is a good start...

...and if you'd like to be effective on a discussion board, learn to edit your writing. Editing and spell checking. Most writing can be improved by tight editing.

Start the post with a clear statement of the reason why, or what you expect responses to accomplish.

Then, give only a brief statement of the problem or conflict. Include relevant information so that folks don't have to ask (e.g., model number, part number, approximate year, location, size, etc.).

Finally, don't argue with folks who give you feedback that you didn't expect. Listen and learn to gain perspective.

Good luck.

coupster 10-07-19 10:51 AM

Welcome. Echoing Phil, give us relevant information. But most important use sentences with capitalization, punctuation and paragraphs. Rambling posts of uncontrolled stream of consciousness are hard to read and will tend to get ignored.

tagaproject6 10-07-19 12:01 PM

:cheers:

Kedosto 10-07-19 01:37 PM

Paragraphs. There are few things worse than trying to read a singular, long post on a monitor screen. Break up your post into short, 3-5 line paragraphs for easier digestion and you'll likely receive meaningful replies. Post one long, rambling page of text without breaks or punctuation and many will simply move on from your post.

Welcome to the asylum.

-Kedosto

Milton Keynes 10-07-19 03:15 PM

Want to have some fun? Start a thread asking what the best chain lube is, or start one talking about people with dogs on MUP's. Or ask why people always wave/don't wave. You'll up your post count in no time.

NomarsGirl 10-07-19 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 21153997)
Want to have some fun? Start a thread asking what the best chain lube is, or start one talking about people with dogs on MUP's. Or ask why people always wave/don't wave. You'll up your post count in no time.

And most importantly, learn to recognize sarcasm.

jackb 10-08-19 10:24 AM

There are no "meaningful" posts here, just folks talking about what they like to talk about. It's kind of fun, don't you think? Of course, life has no meaning either. You're born, you cycle, you die. The cycling part is the best.

SkullHead 12-05-19 08:58 AM

thread helping me get to 10 posts.

m3tal070 12-08-19 08:19 AM

I will reply to your Hello with my own. Hello.

Bikes.

udougu 12-08-19 06:50 PM

looks good

Daniel4 12-08-19 11:36 PM

Welcome.

Probably everything has already been discussed but we all still love the interaction.

So whatever you post, someone will dig up an earlier thread about the same thing and show you.

But if you've done your homework and found an existing thread about the topic you'd like to discuss, someone else will accuse you of ressurecting a zombie thread.

If you post about your negative experiences cycling, you'll soon enough meet up with the resident troll who has nothing to contribute because he's never had any bad experiences in his 60 years of cycling.

Have fun.

rollagain 12-09-19 01:16 AM

Hello everyone here.

Wilfred Laurier 12-09-19 09:18 AM

Hello.

indyfabz 12-09-19 09:31 AM

There is an Introductions forum:

https://www.bikeforums.net/introductions/

livedarklions 12-09-19 09:56 AM

Good stories about riding are always welcome.

The least "meaningful" posts I see are ones where someone tells everybody else what they should or shouldn't like, or they put someone down for not doing enough riding or the "right kind" of riding. Be careful how you use the phrase "serious cyclist", it often precedes a silly assertion that something that isn't necessity is somehow a necessity. Likewise, avoid making generalizations about the "typical cyclist". This forum has people from all over riding all manners of things for all sorts of purposes, and nothing is typical except that their vehicles have wheels.

I find a lot of the most interesting threads start with someone explaining why they do or don't like something, which opens the floor for a lot of different perspectives. Usually about the 100th post or so someone will ruin it by asserting that all other perspectives are wrong and poorly informed, but up to that point, the discussion is usually fun.

MoAlpha 12-09-19 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by yubaoeocaw (Post 21153075)
I am so happy that i have become a member of this great site finally. I wrote this post to test how to make a good post here. Are there are anyone can give me some tips about how to write a meaningful post here? Best wishes to everyone!

Yes, me talk bot!

JanMM 12-09-19 11:38 AM

One and done two months ago.