Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Coronavirus/COVID-19 (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=341)
-   -   Covid 19 - what is your personal concern threshold? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1195481)

indyfabz 03-10-20 05:44 AM

I am most worried about what my 25,000 non-Foo post should be.

Any suggestions?

FiftySix 03-10-20 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21360209)
I am most worried about what my 25,000 non-Foo post should be.

Any suggestions?

A new thread of an epic bike tour through Covid-19 infected North America? Make it dramatic, like the Book of Eli or something.

indyfabz 03-10-20 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by FiftySix (Post 21360225)
A new thread of an epic bike tour through Covid-19 infected North America? Make it dramatic, like the Book of Eli or something.

Only if Mila Kunis can be my riding partner.

chewybrian 03-10-20 06:50 AM

Well, I just poured some gas on the fire today. I ordered a $500 delivery from Publix.

It really has nothing to do with this scare. I hit a big one at the racetrack yesterday, and since I don't have a car, it's just easier for me to get a big delivery like this of non-perishables once in a while. It was just a timing thing; I would have done it anyway, but I feel a bit bad about needing to do it at this time.

RubeRad 03-10-20 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21359815)
We have a serious problem in the USA (and probably similar to what is happening in Europe), where the CDC decided that they only needed to monitor those they deemed to have "close contacts", and sent quite a few home for "home quarantine". At one time, they may well have had 10,000 people under surveillance, but had only administered < 500 coronavirus tests. All the while recognising that there were quite a few cases of only mild illness, or even asymptomatic illness that could spread the disease. There was no community monitoring. So, they were administering thousands of influenza tests, many coming back negative, but no coronavirus tests.

On NPR this morning, a knowledgeable-/authoritative-sounding doctor said that, there was until recently a problem with test availability in the U.S., but that is now corrected. He said there are 1M tests available for use now, 600K being shipped, and more in the pipeline.

RubeRad 03-10-20 11:49 AM

More handwashing in our family, but I think we're all healthy and young enough that if we get it we'll be OK.

Planned work trip to France is in jeopardy :-(

RubeRad 03-10-20 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by chewybrian (Post 21360278)
Well, I just poured some gas on the fire today. I ordered a $500 delivery from Publix.

It really has nothing to do with this scare. I hit a big one at the racetrack yesterday, and since I don't have a car, it's just easier for me to get a big delivery like this of non-perishables once in a while. It was just a timing thing; I would have done it anyway, but I feel a bit bad about needing to do it at this time.

In related news, our house just happens to be low on TP right now...

02Giant 03-10-20 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 21360740)
On NPR this morning, a knowledgeable-/authoritative-sounding doctor said that, there was until recently a problem with test availability in the U.S., but that is now corrected. He said there are 1M tests available for use now, 600K being shipped, and more in the pipeline.

The CDC is allowing those kits to go out by private contractor with no requirement the entities testing report results.
It appears to be a free-for-all of sorts.

My concern threshold, the wife and I have enough supplies in the event one or both of us become infected, we can ride out a two-three week quarantine & making sure 85 y.o. mother doesn't need to get out and about as it makes it way closer to home.

RubeRad 03-10-20 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21359851)
I've changed my personal hygiene to reduce my use of TP. Ever since one of the environmental groups made a big campaign confounding "Virgin Wood" and "Virgin Forests". Nonetheless, I decided to minimize the TP that I flushed.

So I haven't bought any new TP for years.

I did buy some extra groceries, but unfortunately find myself eating them. :mad:

In case you run out of groceries, do you know how to cook your stockpile of TP?

I only know how to brown it on one side

(why is there no snare drum ba-dum-CHH emoji?)

CliffordK 03-10-20 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 21360765)
In case you run out of groceries, do you know how to cook your stockpile of TP?

I only know how to brown it on one side

(why is there no snare drum ba-dum-CHH emoji?)

Hmmm... I could eat it, but the body isn't very good at processing cellulose. Lots of FIBER!!!

Now that the sun came back, Algae seems to grow EVERYWHERE. I'm sure it would use clean TP as an augment to growth medium.

When I was in college, one of the students wrote his senior thesis on human waste recycling to edible algae. I've meant to try to go track down that thesis. It might be an interesting read.

Seattle Forrest 03-10-20 01:11 PM

Personally I'm not very worried about myself, but I have family in high risk groups, and I'm not ready to lose any of them.

wgscott 03-10-20 01:22 PM

Ars Technica has a good article on this, which they appear to update regularly:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...e-coronavirus/

You should be concerned and take this seriously. But you should not panic.
I may have to cancel a trip to Washington DC, where I am supposed to give a talk at a conference ... on Coronavirus mRNA 3'-UTR structure.

ups 03-10-20 01:38 PM

Work with Geriatric folks so I am very focused on this right now.

Rage 03-10-20 01:51 PM

I’m in DC two or three days every week or two for work. Or I used to be.
They pretty much told me that my presence wouldn’t be required for the next two months or so. Am tele-commuting now instead.
So I’m making my own hours with a greatly reduced workload and no commute. Same money. Also gives me some much needed time to work on some personal projects.
So, why ain’t I clapping for joy?

daveda 03-10-20 02:18 PM

Italy's coronavirus death toll jumped from 366 to 463 on Monday. It is the worst-hit country after China.

CliffordK 03-10-20 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by daveda (Post 21360967)
Italy's coronavirus death toll jumped from 366 to 463 on Monday. It is the worst-hit country after China.

Now listed as 631 deaths.
10,149 Cases in Italy.

Significantly higher than Iran, with 8,042 cases and 291 dead.
And South Korea with 7,513 cases and 54 deaths.

The USA is officially up to 808 cases, and 28 dead, most in the one nursing home.

If one accepts the case mortality rate of about 1% to 3%, that means that Italy with a case mortality rate of 6% is a significant outlier, and may well have 10,000 to 50,000 undiagnosed cases.

Zinger 03-10-20 05:41 PM

Am entertained by the spinoff rumors and conspiracy tales. I don't think that Spokane even has a case yet but they have a few on the WA coast I think.

skidder 03-10-20 06:51 PM

Not too worried. From all the reports I've seen (NOT the sensationalized media reporting!), it appears to be no worse than a regular case of the flu with just more intense respiratory issues. I've gotten some pretty bad cases of the flu in the past, and get a yearly flue shot, so I'm prepared as can be from a medical perspective.

Plenty of TP; I couldn't remember how much I had at home while I was shopping at Walmart in early January, so I bought the biggie 24-roll pack (I'm single). Lucky me!
Lots of canned soups for when I do get sick. I already have about 2 months of food stored for any big earthquake that strike California. I bought some more soups since I don't tolerate solid food when I have the flu.
Plenty of water in 2.5 gallon containers. Just tap water, and I empty/clean/refill the containers on a rotating basis. I also have a filtering and disinfecting system.

CliffordK 03-10-20 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zinger (Post 21361221)
Am entertained by the spinoff rumors and conspiracy tales. I don't think that Spokane even has a case yet but they have a few on the WA coast I think.

Spokane has at least one case.
Umatilla also has at least one case.

It is unclear if those are simply isolated cases, or part of a larger outbreak.

IT IS COMING FOR YOU!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html
https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/CO...19_time_series

BookFinder 03-10-20 07:20 PM

A couple of useful links.

Nice graphics at this one with listings by state: Charts of US & Canada

Worldwide infections: Johns Hopkins - big picture of worldwide infections

Hondo Gravel 03-10-20 08:36 PM

I’m heading to Lafayette Louisiana on Saturday spend the night see KISS and cruising home the next day. I think I will be OK :thumb: we had a discussion about the current issue and the general consensus was we are going!

StupidlyBrave 03-10-20 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by StupidlyBrave (Post 21359964)
I am self quarantined right now.

I have had no exposure to this virus (that I know of), but caught a nasty head cold. And I travel for business nowadays. I figure folks would freak if I show up with sniffles-n-coughs either at the airport or at the client's office. So I don't. I'll take my temp on Friday and cancel next week's travel if necessary.

My apologies if this offends you. But that is definitely me @ 1:08

I'm glad I didn't travel this week. This might have been the result: https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/0...iverts-denver/

What a mess. I'll be fine by tomorrow, but will be cancelling travel next week as well *shrugs*

Zinger 03-10-20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by CliffordK (Post 21361311)
Spokane has at least one case.
Umatilla also has at least one case.

It is unclear if those are simply isolated cases, or part of a larger outbreak.

IT IS COMING FOR YOU!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html
https://github.com/CSSEGISandData/CO...19_time_series

https://www.kxly.com/department-of-h...-19-case-list/

Looks like the department removed Spokane as there was a mistake of some sort on their part.

But I am a little surprised to learn there are 136 cases with 19 fatalities statewide. That's cup from about a dozen only last week.

Still more people die from the flu and going by WA state stats more people percentage wise.

But I guess it's early so we'll see.

justslow 03-11-20 12:24 AM

Seems like the only end of this is either a vaccine or widespread infection with a natural immune system response.

I take common precautions as a senior citizen but I only worry about my parents in their 90's.

alo 03-11-20 01:51 AM

Last week I flew from Australia to Asia. I am not concerned.

If I get flu symptoms, I consume citrus fruit or juice for vitamin C. If it gets more severe, I take Eucalyptus oil.

Only people with poor health should be concerned.

It is a winter thing. It will soon be reducing in the northern hemisphere. Expect infections during winter in the southern hemisphere.