Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Coronavirus/COVID-19 (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=341)
-   -   Covid 19 - what is your personal concern threshold? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1195481)

CliffordK 03-11-20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Zinger (Post 21361476)
https://www.kxly.com/department-of-h...-19-case-list/

Looks like the department removed Spokane as there was a mistake of some sort on their part.

But I am a little surprised to learn there are 136 cases with 19 fatalities statewide. That's cup from about a dozen only last week.

Still more people die from the flu and going by WA state stats more people percentage wise.

But I guess it's early so we'll see.

I thought I saw one report that didn't list Spokane. At one time they were using CT and X-Rays to make a diagnosis before test results came back.

Numbers are going up quickly. 279 in Washington, 23 dead.

Not unexpected considering the lack of testing for a month.

I think 21 of the 23 deaths were associated an outbreak in a single nursing home, Life Care Center in Kirkland.

Quite a few staff members are currently under quarantine, but not all have been tested yet.

That may be indicative of a bias of the government testing more around a known outbreak, as well as community members requesting more tests. Thus, simply ignoring places like Boise without documented cases.

indyfabz 03-11-20 07:32 AM

In my office tower there is now a guy who walks around with a rag and spray bottle periodically wiping down common touch areas such as elevator buttons. First noticed him on Monday. Saw him again this morning.

making 03-11-20 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21361780)
In my office tower there is now a guy who walks around with a rag and spray bottle periodically wiping down common touch areas such as elevator buttons. First noticed him on Monday. Saw him again this morning.

Better check him for a name tag, he might be spreading something...

Welshboy 03-11-20 10:04 AM

Short Term - Not too worried about myself but our daughter is asthmatic and a bit frail.

Longer term - Hope my pension fund recovers over the next 18 months!

indyfabz 03-11-20 11:17 AM

WHO says it's a global pandemic.

Seattle Forrest 03-11-20 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by alo (Post 21361575)
Only people with poor health should be concerned.

Or with family members over 50. Or with neighbors who have asthma. Or ...

indyfabz 03-11-20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Welshboy (Post 21362020)
Longer term - Hope my pension fund recovers over the next 18 months!

I would not look at what the markets are doing today if you want to remain sane. I got out a couple of weeks ago. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

RubeRad 03-11-20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by wgscott (Post 21360911)
Ars Technica has a good article on this, which they appear to update regularly:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...e-coronavirus/

thx for that link, very helpful

RubeRad 03-11-20 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21362173)
WHO says it's a global pandemic.

That arstechnica article says so far this flu season 550k have been hospitalized, and 46k died, but death rate is about 0.1% and infection rate about 1.3 (each victim infects on average 1.3 others), vs covid-19 death rate 1-3% and infection rate about 2. Is that what makes this a 'global pandemic' vs the much more deadly regular flu?

indyfabz 03-11-20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 21362354)
Is that what makes this a 'global pandemic' vs the much more deadly regular flu?

Ask Pete Townsend.

CliffordK 03-11-20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest (Post 21362174)
Or with family members over 50. Or with neighbors who have asthma. Or ...

Mom's valley:
Mom - upper 70's.
Neighbor - upper 70's.
Neighbor's ex husband (complex relation), mid 80's.
Neighbor helper, mid 60's with diabetes
Neighbor helper's husband, upper 60's, I think.
Farmer across the street, mid 70's.
Another neighbor upper 70's.
Widow across the street, upper 70's.
Hmmm... another neighbor family. The kids were a couple years younger than me, so the parents must now be in the mid 70's.
Most, but not all are reasonably mobile. But, I fear for the day the virus hits the valley. 1 or 2 could well be on death's doorstep. Which ones, time will tell.

clemsongirl 03-11-20 02:50 PM

Being relatively young and very healthy iím not that worried about myself. As others have already written i too worry more about elderly people who havenít led a healthy life (too many in the U.S.) especially those who still use or used tobacco and are at much more of a risk for the severe acute respiratory problems that can come with covid-19.

My fatherís company has been working with the Institut Pasteur in Paris since Jan. sequencing the whole genome of covid-19, understanding how the virus works and how it replicates and interacts to gain a clearer picture of its pathogenic nature and identify biomarkers with the aim of developing diagnostic and treatment tools as quickly as possible. Heís more worried about this virus than he was about the sars-cov virus 17 years ago, which he also worked on. He also thinks it will take at least 12 months with the fastest vaccine platform technologies available to develop vaccine candidates and to go through the required clinical testing before a viable, scalable vaccine emerges.

HardyWeinberg 03-11-20 03:13 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4fdf55bb36.jpg

canklecat 03-11-20 03:58 PM

I just follow the science and summaries from credible writers -- doctors, researchers, etc., who have a knack for writing for the layperson.

I distrust anyone who frames this as primarily a political, economic or cultural issue. Some of my friends seem angry about "media hype" because it's hurting their investments.

But these kinds of crises are useful for quickly revealing more about our acquaintances than we might otherwise have learned in years of casual associations.

RubeRad 03-11-20 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21362356)
Ask Pete Townsend.

why

chewybrian 03-11-20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 21362664)
why

No, Who.

indyfabz 03-12-20 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by RubeRad (Post 21362664)
why

The WHO is the most knowledgeable source.

chewybrian 03-12-20 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21363243)
The WHO is the most knowledgeable source.

I gather a lot of wisdom from the Jefferson Airplane, too.

AlmostTrick 03-12-20 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21362176)
I would not look at what the markets are doing today if you want to remain sane. I got out a couple of weeks ago. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Almost all of the stock I bought over the past decades is still worth way more than I paid for it... even with the recent crash. This is likely true for anyone who's been investing for years or decades. Selling now would be highly misguided, yet that's what many will do.

Eventually it will go up again. As long as you don't sell at a loss, who cares? Even if I needed the money for living expenses, I'd only take out the minimum I needed. The rest will stay and grow. For long term investment growth, there is no way to consistently beat a buy and hold strategy in the market.

BookFinder 03-12-20 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21362356)
Ask Pete Townsend.

Who is Pete Townsend?

AlmostTrick 03-12-20 07:55 AM

Answer #4 .

Pretty much everyone, even people in this thread, are already "taking steps" to ensure their safety... Being more aware of what they touch and washing their hands more often, etc. Anyone who doesn't admit this is likely lying, though I'm not sure why.

indyfabz 03-12-20 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by BookFinder (Post 21363394)
Who is Pete Townsend?

And Roger Daltry.

AlmostTrick 03-12-20 08:01 AM

Also, it doesn't matter that I'm healthy and unlikely to "die" from Covid 19. I don't want to transmit it to others, who may in fact die.

indyfabz 03-12-20 08:04 AM

[QUOTE=AlmostTrick;21363380Selling now would be highly misguided, yet that's what many will do.[/QUOTE]
Not if what one has should be enough and one is relatively close to tapping it. I may be 5 years away from starting to tap mine. Don't want to need a recovery to have enough. (I've got a DB plan that I can start at 60 without early retirement penalties. In fact, I get an incentive for two years if I leave then.) And I can always get back in if things start looking up in the (near) future.

Seattle Forrest 03-12-20 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21363403)
And Roger Daltry.

Sounds like a made up name. ;)