Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Pretty Frame Pump (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1090207)

bikecrate 12-01-16 08:32 AM

Pretty Frame Pump

I don't have a vintage bike, but I thought you guys would be the best to answer this.

I have a Jamis Quest, steel with silver accents. I also have mounted a Topeak Road Morph pump to the frame. It is a great pump, but not very attractive. I would like to find an alternative that would be pretty and functional.

What I'm looking for is something silver (shiny preferred), pumps to at least 100 psi without needing gorilla arms, not too big and mounts on the water bottle cage holes. Is there anything out there like that?

SuperLJ 12-01-16 08:35 AM

Lezyne Road Drive pump:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...0/lhrdv5-2.jpg

KonAaron Snake 12-01-16 08:38 AM

My opinion...take pictures of the bike without the pump, the morph is an awesome pump, and the looks don't matter when you're inflating a tube. The Lezyne was, IMO, far less effective a tool. They unscrewed valves, I didn't like the head...not a fan of their products, and insanely over priced.

SuperLJ 12-01-16 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake (Post 19224570)
My opinion...take pictures of the bike without the pump, the morph is an awesome pump, and the looks don't matter when you're inflating a tube. The Lezyne was, IMO, far less effective a tool. They unscrewed valves, I didn't like the head...not a fan of their products, and insanely over priced.

The OP specifically asked for a polished silver frame pump that attached to the water bottle braze-ons.

While I'll agree that Lezyne stuff is somewhat pricey, my experience with their stuff has apparently been the opposite of yours. I've been really pleased with all of their products that I've used. I like my Road Drive frame pump a lot, and it gets great reviews from others too. I've also got a Lezyne floor pump which is easily the nicest floor pump I've ever used.

btpdragon 12-01-16 09:15 AM

I have a coupe of these and really like them. They are small, look nice, and work well when needed. Spin Doctor Rescue HP Mini Pump

You might be able to track down a Zefal HPX in silver. I think they only make them in black now, but I would think ebay would be full of the silver ones.

KonAaron Snake 12-01-16 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by SuperLJ (Post 19224609)
The OP specifically asked for a polished silver frame pump that attached to the water bottle braze-ons.

While I'll agree that Lezyne stuff is somewhat pricey, my experience with their stuff has apparently been the opposite of yours. I've been really pleased with all of their products that I've used. I like my Road Drive frame pump a lot, and it gets great reviews from others too. I've also got a Lezyne floor pump which is easily the nicest floor pump I've ever used.

Lezyne is the Steely Dan of air compressors...some love it, others detest it. Not much in between. I'm on the hate side, and it's not a small contingent. They are pretty, but I think the morph is a far superior pump.

I like my Specialized Air Comp floor pump a lot...easily the best I've ever owned (including a Lezyne which was returned).

Chocolate and vanilla.

Salamandrine 12-01-16 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by SuperLJ (Post 19224562)

I have one of those. It does meet all the requirements. Aluminum, looks nice, water bottle cage mount included. High pressure no problem. Like all mini pumps it is slow going.

trailangel 12-01-16 11:41 AM

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ac...ad-pump/117290

SJX426 12-01-16 11:45 AM

OP, Your description also fits a CO2 solution!

squirtdad 12-01-16 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by superlj (Post 19224562)

+1

bikecrate 12-01-16 12:29 PM

In response to a couple of comments...

I think the Lezyne was what I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name. This might be a good suggestion for a Christmas present. My wife has been bugging me for ideas.

Current Topeak is mounted on the underside of the top tube and since the Quest has a pretty good slope it tends to get in the way of the water bottles along with not looking very good.

I'm not a fan of C02. There have been some times where, due to circumstances, I would have been SOL with C02. As one person once told me you can never run out of air in the pump, but you can run out of C02 cartridges.

crank_addict 12-01-16 12:42 PM

Zefal micro profile in silver. Easily achieves over 100 psi. Cost is approx. $15. I carry mine in a pack / pouch.

SJX426 12-01-16 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by bikecrate (Post 19225092)
I'm not a fan of C02. There have been some times where, due to circumstances, I would have been SOL with C02. As one person once told me you can never run out of air in the pump, but you can run out of C02 cartridges.

So true :). So now I carry 3 and a pump. I find the pump useful to fill to a certain point where I can verify that the leak is fixed before using the CO2 to get to pressure.

bulldog1935 12-01-16 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by SuperLJ (Post 19224562)

this is a great pump as small pumps go - very good for pressure with smallish tires.

Oddly, the pump they call the Pressure Drive is good for volume and medium pressure.

LouB 12-01-16 05:07 PM

I bought one of these for a vintage Italian I have. Search ebay:
VINTAGE-Silca-Impero-Frame-Pump-46cm-Campagnolo-Head-SILVER-Very-Good-Used-Cond/
They are defintely pretty!

bikecrate 12-02-16 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by crank_addict (Post 19225128)
Zefal micro profile in silver. Easily achieves over 100 psi. Cost is approx. $15. I carry mine in a pack / pouch.

That's nice and a good price too. They even have one in silver and blue.

Pompiere 12-02-16 08:05 AM

I have a Quest as well, but I normally only carry one bottle, so I mounted my Road Morph on the seat tube. I did try it once with a different bracket that mounted the pump to the side of the water bottle cage on the NDS of the seat tube. The pump blended in behind the large bottle.

For me, the flexible hose and foot peg are two features that make the aesthetics bearable.

crank_addict 12-02-16 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by bikecrate (Post 19226784)
That's nice and a good price too. They even have one in silver and blue.

Used it today. Nice chilly ride with a few fellow forum members, Chicago downtown and lakefront. I had a rear tubular go flat.

Billy K. (I don't know his aka / handle here) tried his best with a vinti Zefal conventional + adapter. No go. He insisted to try again and still had issues. So I pulled the mini Zefal out of my pack and inflated it easy peasy. Its basic no frills but works good for the money. Can get decent high psi. Comes with a valve adapter that hides under a cap. .

bulldog1935 12-02-16 08:40 PM

btw, here's the Road Drive in place on its under cage mount - it's completely inobtrusive. Plus it's gotten me home a couple of times.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...aaP1010003.jpg

I like the hoses on the Lezyne pumps. They have a pressure release that lets the presta valve close before you take the hose off.
I think it's easier to hit high pressure with the hose than with a fixed pump head.

drlogik 12-02-16 11:12 PM

If you want a real "frame" pump that actually really works well, get a Zefal HP full-frame pump. All aluminum. inexpensive and good enough to use as an every day tire pump.

I have only found one or two bottle cage pumps that work well. One, although really small, is the Topeak Micro Carbon pump (expensive - $39.99) or the Spin Doctor Rescue HP mini pump for $29.99. Between the two I like the Topeak Carbon better because it is small, works well and doesn't have a hose to fuss with. Yeah, it takes a lot of pumps to get to pressure though.

FWIW I mount a full frame pump for rides outside the city or rides where I'm alone with no help available.

Bulldog is right though, Lezyne makes great products all the way around and any pump from them will work well but I'd give serious consideration to the Zefal HP full frame pump. It's a real pump for real pumping when you have a flat tire and really have to get home without calling for assistance.

-

bulldog1935 12-02-16 11:41 PM

Doc, I'm using a Zefal HP Classic one one bike and Lezyne on the other two - they've all brought me home at times.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...aaPB290001.jpg
I used an HP from '77 as my primary pump on small tires

This pump (Pressure Drive Medium) does surprisingly well on 38mm Barlow to 65 psi. These put out a lot more volume than compact pumps that fit in your bags.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...aaPB160006.jpg

RobbieTunes 12-03-16 07:57 AM

Topeak Master Blaster. All silver/grey, and an excellent pump. I waffle between frame pumps and CO2. Frame pumps make me feel more secure, as I've had two occasions, both racing and large group rides, where I've run out of CO2; along with several where I've lent my frame pump to those in need.

mountaindave 12-03-16 08:51 AM

I will second a classic Zefal HP. I found some non-working NIB pumps on the bay a while back. Ordered new valves direct from Zefal and have two brand spanking new HP pumps. I found a frame mount peg I was able to modify for the seat stay and now it mounts in the proper place.

https://goo.gl/photos/uMVHMiyxonyUVKxNA

vtchuck 12-03-16 09:09 AM

You might check out the Topeak Master Blaster Road. Its a frame fit w/ a satin aluminum finish that I think looks good with most bikes.

bikecrate 12-05-16 07:36 AM

Thanks everyone. Some good ideas/selection to think about.