Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Are you a cyclist? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1217945)

alloo 11-21-20 09:07 AM

Are you a cyclist?

What do you think? Are you a cyclist? Do you encounter these situations as an enthusiast? I found this video very insightful and wanted to share it with you. Enjoy!

CargoDane 11-21-20 09:11 AM

I couldn't be bothered watching 12 minutes of video.

Of course he is a "cyclist". Everyone on a bicycle (or trike, or unicycle) is a frigging cyclist. That's like saying people in cars or on motorcycles aren't "motorists".

There are "enthusiast cyclists", just as there are "enthusiast motorists" (and boaters/sailors, whatever).

Trying to redefine words so one can put a wedge in in the usage of a word is boring as hell. It reminds me of most management/leadership books. Utterly primitive.

BobbyG 11-21-20 09:41 AM

alloo The video articulates certain ideas and positions I identify with...but it was a bit verbose and slow for my taste (I make TV commercials). I do give the creator props for creating and maintaining a high image quality, mostly through the use of professional stock video sources.

I have biked to work for 28 years for fitness, and like the narrator, people will assume I'm a member of some arbitrary cycling group they concocted in their mind that is anti-car and uber-liberal politically. I, too have had people complain to me about the poor behavior of other cyclists as if we all know each other and are members of a secret organization with a specific agenda.

Unlike the video's creator the phenomenon of being stereotyped is nothing new to me since I am jewish ("Why do you all...?") and my wife and family are black ("Why don't y'all...?").

But I encounter plenty of other people who are impressed by what they perceive as self-discipline (it's really just habit and some tricks to keep me riding daily), and what they perceive as "toughness" in the snow and cold (It's just experience and good planning).

Overall, I enjoyed the video...thanks for sharing!

skookum 11-21-20 10:16 AM

As others have pointed out, its a well produced video. He probably could have cut the time in half and made the same points.
He is over thinking the situation. We do tend to pigeon hole people, based on some criteria, that is not consistent across society, but hey that is part of being human.

I remember remarking to a friend that a well known celebrity was a cyclist, by his own admission. My friend said, "But does he train?"

Reflector Guy 11-21-20 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by CargoDane (Post 21799829)

Of course he is a "cyclist". Everyone on a bicycle (or trike, or unicycle) is a frigging cyclist. That's like saying people in cars or on motorcycles aren't "motorists".

There are "enthusiast cyclists", just as there are "enthusiast motorists" (and boaters/sailors, whatever).

I'm short on time, so I'll have to watch the video some other time. But I agree with the above quoted post. Keep in mind however that there are some members here who will insist that unless one has a wardrobe full of lycra, races competitively, has a strict training regimen, owns multiple task-specific bikes (or some combination of the above), one isn't really a "cyclist". In other words, they'll be quick to tell us the average commuter on a bike isn't a real "cyclist".

I'd post the link but it would take awhile to find it.

Koyote 11-21-20 10:54 AM

Since I'd rather ride than watch a twelve minute video, I suppose I am a cyclist.

wolfchild 11-21-20 11:03 AM

The subject of what makes a person a cyclist has been beaten to death, then resurrected and beaten to death again, then resurrected again and beaten to death all over again..............

aplcr0331 11-21-20 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy (Post 21799918)
I'm short on time, so I'll have to watch the video some other time. But I agree with the above quoted post. Keep in mind however that there are some members here who will insist that unless one has a wardrobe full of lycra, races competitively, has a strict training regimen, owns multiple task-specific bikes (or some combination of the above), one isn't really a "cyclist". In other words, they'll be quick to tell us the average commuter on a bike isn't a real "cyclist".

I'd post the link but it would take awhile to find it.

I hope you take the time and can post the link, I’d be interested in reading some actual quotes from posters (not trolls) on here that insist;

“wardrobe full of lycra, races competitively, has a strict training regimen, owns multiple task-specific bikes (or some combination of the above), one isn't really a "cyclist". In other words, they'll be quick to tell us the average commuter on a bike isn't a real "cyclist"

rsbob 11-21-20 11:56 AM

Certainly can relate to the end of the video where people who know you ride unload all their animosity of ill behaved riders since they know I ride a bike. Have also been threatened by idiots in cars purposely passing to close because I must be one of those types.

My identity is certainly not wrapped up in one sport or occupation, but it’s interesting how others like to typecast.

The sad sad thing is the lack of acknowledgement that our hobby is actually doing something positive for ourselves and the environment rather than taking four-wheelers, dirt bikes and ATVs out to pollute and grind the planet.

Now back to the video bashing already in progress (or is it regress?) :D

70sSanO 11-21-20 01:29 PM

I could only manage 5 minutes of the whining and then moved it forward a couple of times. The truth is, unlike the narrator, a person really has to be involved in riding, to endure that video. Non-cyclists would have shut it off after a minute or two.

As far as how people react, I think it all depends on where you live. In communities where there are a lot of active people, and people riding, it is not a big deal. No one I know ever thinks twice about it, or complains. I do consider my self lucky to live in good year round weather and have nearly every road with bikes lanes.

I understand how it would be more hostile is an urban environment or and older community that has no means to expand roadways to accommodate cyclists without doing so at the expense of drivers.

John

blue192 11-21-20 02:05 PM

I was in Toronto when crackhead Bob was mayor. He was funny.

blakcloud 11-21-20 02:42 PM

I will watch the video later but I don't bunch everyone who rides two wheels as cyclists. Some are just bike riders. I am a cyclist and identify as much. My wife does not consider herself as a cyclist but someone who just rides a bicycle occasionally.

At the same time I am not a motorist, I am someone who drives a car and hates every single moment of it.

CargoDane 11-21-20 02:58 PM

If you ride a motorcycle, you're a motorcycle rider, if you drive a car, you're a driver. Drive any motorised wheeled vehicle, and you are a motorist. Ride a bicycle (or tricycle or whatever) and you are a cyclist.
If you do it all, you are all of it. It's an umbrella term.
If you hit someone not in or on a vehicle, you're hitting a pedestrian, regardless of whether that person stands still, jogs, sprint, doing yoga, or whatever.

Sometimes I'm a pedestrian, sometimes I am a passenger in or on some vehicle (wheeled or not), sometimes I'm a rower, sometimes I'm a cyclist, sometimes I'm a motorcyclist (one subset of "motorist") and sometimes I'm a car driver (another subset of "motorist").

Cyclist is an umbrella term, so, yes, I sometimes "identify" as such (when I'm on my bikes, mostly). However, there are many subsets of "cyclists", so whether one is commuting, another grocery getting, mountain biking, gravel riding, touring, bike packing, road biking, endurance riding, and a plethora of other subsets, you are still a cyclist. Doing one, more, or all of the different subsets doesn't mean you're not a cyclist.

Look at the laws everwhere. If you're riding a bike (not a moped or motorcycle), you're a cyclist. It is just a word meaning you're on a bicycle (or tricycle or unicycle or whatever).

There is nothing wrong about the term, it is not perjorative other than what some people want it to be when it suits them (context!). The only problem with it, as with all umbrella terms, is that it quickly becomes pretty vague and useless the moment you try to differentiate between different subsets.

Oh, and you ARE a motorist when you drive a car. It doesn't matter if you like driving it. You are still a motorist.

shelbyfv 11-21-20 03:19 PM

I've seen much more tiresome, whiny inverse snobbery on BF than actual snobbery. :bang:

Trakhak 11-21-20 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by shelbyfv (Post 21800285)
I've seen much more tiresome, whiny inverse snobbery on BF than actual snobbery. :bang:

True, that. Most of the judging on this site is from those biased to believe that all riders in cycling kit are snobs. I wish the haters would look at a few GCN videos on YouTube---the ex-pro presenters are clearly just goofy guys who love bikes.

And, as CargoDane says, if you ride a bike, you're a cyclist, period.

Reynolds 11-21-20 04:19 PM

I'm a Serious Cyclist™!

rsbob 11-21-20 06:45 PM

I’m a psycholist

acknowledgement is the first step to recovery.

indyfabz 11-21-20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by blue192 (Post 21800193)
I was in Toronto when crackhead Bob was mayor. He was funny.

I can’t quite remember why, but I was just thinking about him the other day.

DougRNS 11-21-20 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21800694)
I can’t quite remember why, but I was just thinking about him the other day.

maybe it was when you cracked your head. Bad joke.

veganbikes 11-21-20 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Reynolds (Post 21800355)
I'm a Serious Cyclist™!

I'm actually certified as more of a Serious Cyclist™ than you. I watched a Rapha ad today that was 2 minutes long. ;)

wolfchild 11-21-20 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Reynolds (Post 21800355)
I'm a Serious Cyclist™!

Do you even use a power meter ??...because if you don't then you're just a bike rider.

CargoDane 11-21-20 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by wolfchild (Post 21800776)
Do you even use a power meter ??...because if you don't then you're just a bike rider.

Nah, those people aren't "serious cyclists". They're "serious trainers" who need "serious equipment" to show themselves and their fellow exercisers how "serious" they train. And nothing can get in the way of their interval training or oxygen uptake, or whatever it is they care about :innocent:

Reynolds 11-21-20 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 21800766)
I'm actually certified as more of a Serious Cyclist™ than you. I watched a Rapha ad today that was 2 minutes long. ;)

Ok, but do you master the Rapha Flip?