Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Fizik Arctic cycling boots and ALE' winter jacket - wow! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1191502)

masi61 01-08-20 02:51 PM

Fizik Arctic cycling boots and ALE' winter jacket - wow!

I am getting better adapted to riding in the cold. Used to be that 50 degrees was my cutoff. Yesterday I rode in 43 degree temps quite comfortably. I used to underestimate how many layers I needed and how warm my feet needed to be. During the warmer months I told myself to "be on the lookout for winter gear, the deals off season are always better".

So I picked up a pair of Fizik Arctic cycling boots in my size, 46.5 for about 110$ on clearance. Full retail on these is $200. I also picked up an ALE winter cycling jacket for like 85% off list (it supposedly listed for $270, I got it for like $34 on clearance direct from ALE').. I'll have to look and see what the model is called. But that winter jacket is very snug fitting like a winter jersey but warmer. I can get by with wearing thin wool socks with my Arctic boots and not get cold feet. I can get by with a standard Voler long (or even short) sleeve baselayer with the ALE' jacket and be comfortable in the low 40's for up to 2 hours.

Just thought I would share how spending under $150 on apparel is extending my riding range down another 10 degrees. So right now I'm good riding anytime from about 40 degrees on up - easy peasy. Knowing that you are not likely to have hypothermia for hours is freeing. I just kind of got empowered these past 2 weeks that I am still putting in quality miles in January. Just thought I would share.

noglider 01-09-20 03:45 PM

The next step is a ski helmet. For me, it was a game changer. I think my tolerance might have gone down 20ºF. It doesn't get below 25ºF here often, so I don't have much occasion to use it.

masi61 01-09-20 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 21277372)
The next step is a ski helmet. For me, it was a game changer. I think my tolerance might have gone down 20ºF. It doesn't get below 25ºF here often, so I don't have much occasion to use it.

That would be crazy! There is a commuter in our town that I see all over the place who has what appears to be a motocross motorcycle helmet that he commutes on. He wears it in the warm weather too. I always thought that he wore it to prevent a facial or dental injury in the event of a crash. Having crashed hard and landed on my face and broken several teeth, I sometimes wonder if cyclists should wear a bite guard like you see football and basketball players wearing.

Back to the discussion of apparel that lets you ride comfortably in lower temperature ranges - I do have a balaclava that is in my glove drawer that I keep forgetting about.