Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Bike Virginia Pics (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=436736)

shmulb 07-03-08 06:00 AM

Bike Virginia Pics

For those who were there, or just curious. Here is a sampling of some of my pics. If you know someone in them please pass on the link.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...localeid=en_US

Hobartlemagne 07-03-08 06:05 AM

Great pics. It looks like a fun ride in some beautiful country.

Beverly 07-03-08 06:16 AM

That looks like a great ride. I certainly hope I can do it someday.

Was that you in the 50+ jersey?

shmulb 07-03-08 06:30 AM

No the 50+ Jersey is another member who goes by "TLC20010 - the grampster" I am in the "Colavita - Jamis" jersey standing on the Dam wall. Jet Travis is also just visible in some with an Orange jersey.

Spinz 07-03-08 07:02 AM

Thanks for the pictoral. I'll bet that trip was a bunch of fun. Any idea how many started and finished? Lp

shmulb 07-03-08 07:15 AM

I believe there were about 1800 riders, the Average age was 55 and 49 States were represented. I dont believe there is any info on how many finished as it is a casual tour with multiple routes every day, riders all going at their own pace.

tulip 07-03-08 09:14 AM

Great photos. I even caught a glimpse of me in two of them. The landscape was just breathtaking.

maddmaxx 07-03-08 10:02 AM

What a great set of pictures.............thankyou for sharing.

JimF22003 07-03-08 06:00 PM

Oh man, thanks a bunch! I didn't see myself anywhere but that's cool. I stayed in the blue Sherpa tents. I'm glad you have pics of those. I was tent 52 :)

I don't remember either the roads or any of the rest stops being anywhere near that crowded. I must have been up with the fast folks :)

I did all the optional, longest routes every day, including a few bonus miles on gravel on the 2nd century day. That was the first time I've ever done back-to-back centuries (the second day was only 97 miles, so I had to pad on a couple of extra miles after getting back to the school to make it an even 100.)

shmulb 07-04-08 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by JimF22003 (Post 6996611)
Oh man, thanks a bunch! I didn't see myself anywhere but that's cool. I stayed in the blue Sherpa tents. I'm glad you have pics of those. I was tent 52 :)

I added a few more, one more from the Sherpa tents, maybe that's you. (We were in #32)

Litespeed 07-04-08 06:14 PM

Is this a yearly event? Where exactly in Virginia is it -- can you give more details or supply a website. Maybe I can talk hubby into it some time. Love the pictures!!!

shmulb 07-04-08 06:28 PM

It is an annual event currently in it's 21st year. Every year it is in a different part of the state and is typically themed around the history of the particular area. This was our first multi day event and my wife and I are hooked. We will be back next year. The Sherpa camping is definitely the best way to go. You get all the advantages of camping with none of the hassles. The organization is top class.
Here is their general web site
http://www.bikevirginia.org/
and here is the 2008 site
http://www.bikevirginia.org/2008/index.htm

Mojo Slim 07-05-08 11:06 PM

Absolutely fabulous photos! It appears to be a great ride. I did notice that it seemed to a more "mature" crowd. Could you tell us a bit about the cost and arrangements? I assume your gear is carried by the organization. Do they supply the tents?

JimF22003 07-06-08 05:15 AM

I think next year it's going to be in Charlottesville. Perfect for me. The pricing information etc. is on the bikevirginia.org site. For sleeping you can either 1) bring your own tent (they haul it for you from base to base), 2) sleep in the gym, 3) sleep in local hotels (they will shuttle you), or you can hire a great 3rd-party "sherpa" service who provides a tent, sleeping bag, air mattress along with tons of other conveniences like fresh towels, cell charging, separate luggage hauling etc. That's the way I went, and I was totally satisfied.

tulip 07-06-08 09:27 AM

There are people of all ages. Last year lots of families because the riding was easier. This year lots of roadie hotshots (younger than me, and I really don't belong in the 50+ forum, but I like you guys a whole lot better than the dweelzles in the Road forum). But mostly just great great fun folks, strong riders, people from all over the country, even a few from outside the country.

Personally, I always go the hotel route. I much prefer to have clean sheets and a hot shower (although the Super 8 was questionable on both points this year). Something for everyone. They shuttle your luggage, they don't shuttle you, to the hotels.

www.bikevirginia.org for more info. Sign up early (like when it first is announced) if you want to make sure you get in and get a decent hotel.

BRNRBR 07-06-08 02:52 PM

Wow, lots of computer wallpaper candidates in there! Bike wise and just in general.

Sirveyir 07-07-08 07:51 PM

I really enjoyed your pics. Thanks for posting. I saw the wife and me sitting on State Street listening to the band. I really appreciate how you have showcased the beauty of SW Virginia for all these folks. I always feel blessed to have been able to lived my life here. We can ride roads like these and view scenery like this any time we choose. I had never been on the Noth Fork of the Holston or to the Carter Fold. That was a great ride! This was our fourth Bike VA. We have always camped and now have things pretty organized. We already had all of the gear.

Next year's tour is from Charlottesville to Culpeper, VA and the theme is "Hallowed Ground". So I am guessing it is Civil War theme. The terrain is Piedmont, so hilly but not mountainous like this year.

tulip 07-07-08 10:00 PM

It's Virginia, so you can bet there will always be a Civil War something!

MickE 07-08-08 01:09 PM

Really enjoyed your pictures --- looked like quite an adventure, and a congenial group of people to share it with. That was interesting to see all those people pushing their bikes up a hill. Some of them were walking the flat section before the hill! People get so easily psych'd-out. Most of that hill is in your mind.

tulip 07-08-08 03:26 PM

That hill was a walk-only, although some folks did ride up. Due to the traffic, blind curves, and the likelihood of faster/stronger folks getting stuck behind those who didn't want to do the hill, and the resulting probable take-downs and goings-over-the-yellow-lines (into the aforementioned vehicular traffic), the organizers deemed it reasonable to have folks walk up. Makes sense to me.

Catweazle 07-08-08 04:31 PM

Nic pics, and that looks like an enjoyable event. Some genuinely beautiful countryside to be riding through in those images, for sure!

I personally prefer riding solo or with smaller and more intimate groups of people, but for what's included the registration cost for that ride is unarguably reasonable, IMO.

Originally Posted by tulip (Post 7008033)
(younger than me, and I really don't belong in the 50+ forum, but I like you guys a whole lot better than the dweelzles in the Road forum)

That's coz we're nicer. AND cuter!

:D

tulip 07-08-08 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Catweazle (Post 7024004)
That's coz we're nicer. AND cuter!

:D

Yes, all that, and just so refreshing!