Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Annual Mileage Thread - Indoors Only (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1191044)

DaveLeeNC 01-01-20 05:20 PM

Annual Mileage Thread - Indoors Only

In the spirit of fairness (the other annual mileage thread excludes indoor miles) what was your 2019 indoor mileage? Mileage outdoors does not count. If you only know hours (rather than some reasonable estimate of equivalent miles, close enough).

For me it is somewhere around 40 hours which is maybe 10% of my total. This is on a Lemond Revmaster spinner bike, Vector pedals, and Netflix/Youtube/music. No Zwift.

Dave

Dan333SP 01-02-20 07:42 AM

It's too annoying to separate virtual rides from real rides in Strava for me, but of the ~6,900 miles I did last year, probably 2,500 were in Zwift thanks to having a baby and losing my morning outdoor opportunities.

Rides4Beer 01-02-20 07:49 AM

153 of my 10,002 miles for 2019 were indoors. Stages cycle gym bike. I set it up as a separate piece of gear in Strava so it's easy to track. :thumb:

woodcraft 01-02-20 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dan333SP (Post 21266746)
It's too annoying to separate virtual rides from real rides in Strava for me, but of the ~6,900 miles I did last year, probably 2,500 were in Zwift thanks to having a baby and losing my morning outdoor opportunities.

Have you perfected the baby bottle flip?:)

noodle soup 01-02-20 10:22 AM

zero indoor miles

WhyFi 01-02-20 10:40 AM

I probably had ~300 miles on the trainer in 2019. Even with programs like Zwift, the trainer is just not recreation to me, so I'm as efficient as possible. I generally do 60-75 minute interval sessions 3-5 times per week with the base goal of not getting too much fatter or weaker over the winter.

tagaproject6 01-02-20 11:08 AM

About .25 meters depending on how far the trainer moved.

mcours2006 01-02-20 11:14 AM

10,510 km total. 0 km indoors.

Dan333SP 01-02-20 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by mcours2006 (Post 21267037)
10,510 km total. 0 km indoors.

Originally Posted by tagaproject6 (Post 21267030)
About .25 meters depending on how far the trainer moved.

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21266946)
zero indoor miles

Wrong thread.

Carbonfiberboy 01-02-20 01:18 PM

A little over 1000 miles in '19 on my resistance rollers. Those things are great, actually fun.

mstateglfr 01-02-20 08:03 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but I dont understand equating indoor trainer use to miles ridden.
indoor trainer use, to me, is time based. Zwift can claim I rode 1000mi, but I didnt. Turn power is accurate in the game, but the speed isnt.
The spin class machine can claim I rode 17mi, but I didnt.

Probably 45 hours between the trainer and spin class.

DaveLeeNC 01-02-20 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21267829)
Maybe I'm missing something, but I dont understand equating indoor trainer use to miles ridden.
indoor trainer use, to me, is time based. Zwift can claim I rode 1000mi, but I didnt. Turn power is accurate in the game, but the speed isnt.
The spin class machine can claim I rode 17mi, but I didnt.

Probably 45 hours between the trainer and spin class.

For me time is the most important parameter that I track (in or outdoors). TSS #'s are next, followed by miles.

But unless it is a bike maintenance issue, miles is still a measure of training in my mind, and leaving out trainer time/miles/whatever is leaving out some of my training from a training parameter. I have power measuring on my spin bike (Vector pedals) and for most rides I have a pretty good idea how far I would have gone with that same power/time profile. So I use that estimate and manually enter a distance in WKO5 (which is my tracking software). Before that it was an Excel spreadsheet and I did the same thing.

dave

woodcraft 01-02-20 09:48 PM

26 one hr spin classes, so roughly 400 mile equivalent, plus 1/2 hr ride each way to get to/from,

so kind of an indoor/outdoor.

seypat 01-03-20 06:00 AM

It depends on whether you were fully kitted up or not. Some people will say that it doesn't count if you have not made the commitment to being a real cyclist. That means if you don't have the kit on, haven't shaved the hair from your body, etc., then you are just a poser anyway no matter what you are riding. You might as well give it up. That's what some people will say. :rolleyes:

SparkyCanada 01-03-20 03:53 PM

Has anyone ever done a study comparing trainer miles to actual road miles?

I know when I'm on my trainer and I stop peddling - I don't coast very far - compared to when I'm outdoors....

I tend to refer to my trainer miles as "honest" miles....:):speedy:

Sparky

kcblair 01-03-20 06:25 PM

I don't count miles on the trainer (they are deleted), Time (hours) is most important. KB

mstateglfr 01-03-20 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by SparkyCanada (Post 21269045)

I know when I'm on my trainer and I stop peddling - I don't coast very far - compared to when I'm outdoors....

Sparky

But you dont have wind to deal with, or hills. I would call actual miles 'honest miles'.
My power on a trainer or spin bike gets me a lot more 'distance' in the time ridden because they arent real miles.

jpescatore 01-04-20 05:51 AM

Strava makes it easy to keep track: about 3,500 miles outdoors, 1,500 miles indoors on Kickr/Zwift.

Of that 1,500, maybe 100 are miles I would have ridden outdoors if I didn't have the trainer and Zwift. So, 1,400 miles or 80-90 hours of good exercise added to my yearly totals

Actually, at the local gym and when on travel using hotel gyms, I also get indoor cycling in several times a week, but don't track that. Probably another 50 hours worth.

horatio 01-04-20 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 21267829)
indoor trainer use, to me, is time based. Zwift can claim I rode 1000mi, but I didnt.

For those of us with dumb trainers, I’m sure the rear tire would beg to differ.

KenCT 01-04-20 07:38 AM

2,500 outside for 2018, 700 on the trainer (Wahoo Snap and Zwift) during November and December.

zacster 01-04-20 09:54 AM

I probably did about 700 miles indoors last year. I'd have to start adding up my Zwift and Sufferfest miles to see what I really did but it isn't worth the effort.

sdmc530 01-04-20 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by kcblair (Post 21269210)
I don't count miles on the trainer (they are deleted), Time (hours) is most important. KB

I do this too. I worry about quality time indoors vs the miles.

So I tracked the miles difference between my Garmin sensors and Zwift miles all of last year just for the fun of it. I know I am a geek that way.

My Garmin says I did about 690 miles on the trainer. I would say this is the actual miles because its measured on my bike sensors. Zwift miles were 938. Yeah that is a large difference.

I delete the Zwift data off my Garmin Connect account and only use my bike computer data. However I do leave the numbers on Strava because I don't use that for anything other than the "fun" aspect and social interaction with mates. So my Strava numbers always look awesome but "virtually inflated"

sdmc530 01-04-20 10:00 AM

Sparky

agree, an hour on the trainer is a good workout, out doors an hour can be an easy ride on my trails for the same distance and less effort. The trainer certainly kicks my rear on workouts. Outdoors I tend to coast more.

GreenAnvil 01-04-20 10:25 AM

Sparky

If you run your head unit along with a speed sensor on your rear wheel, you’ll get “true” distance based on the wheel diameter x number of revolutions.

mstateglfr 01-04-20 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by horatio (Post 21269628)
For those of us with dumb trainers, I’m sure the rear tire would beg to differ.

I just so happen to have a dumb trainer. Tonight before I zwift, I'll ask the rear tire if it has an opinion. Since it's a trainer tire, has never seen the light of day, and just spins while going nowhere- I doubt it will say I rode any actual distance.