Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Touring (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Off bike shoes? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1248690)

HendersonD 03-21-22 12:15 PM

Off bike shoes?

I am starting a Transamerica tour on May 5th and will be using Bontrager clipless shoes while on the bike. Once I am off the bike, hopefully in early to mid afternoon, I will change out of the bike shoes into something else until the next morning when I start riding again. Trying to decide what one other pair of shoes I should bring with me. Some of the candidates I am considering are below. I will be mostly camping with one night in hotel every week to 10 days. Your thoughts?

Keen Newport sandals - 30.8 ounces per pair
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4218c4cb16.png
Altra Lone Peak 6 - 24.0 ounces per pair
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...865f97ff55.png
Crocs - 12.2 ounces per pair

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...47379b2d9d.png

pdlamb 03-21-22 12:26 PM

A lot depends on what you're planning to do off the bike. I like to take a pair of Teva sandals on a tour, where they double as shower shoes and, with wool socks, sneakers for light duty walking. Of the three choices you show, I'd go with the Crocs first, though they don't feel particularly good on my feet for lots of walking.

If you're planning to do some fairly serious hiking in rocky canyons or badlands, the Altra might work well. Does it have decent arch support? (Or are you one of those lucky people who can hike in flip-flops?)

The Keen, if it's like my Keen bike sandals, is the worst of all worlds. Heavy, lets sand and gravel in, and not very good as a shower shoe because it traps water in those numerous straps.

Tourist in MSN 03-21-22 12:32 PM

A friend of mine usually uses crocs. I have changed over time but last few tours used Merrill Moab waterproof hiking shoes. But I also bring a lightweight pair of Teva sandals that I can use as shower shoes or if in hot weather, wear in the campsite. Nobody calls me a light weight traveler.

Note that I use pedals that are SPD cleat on one side, platform on the other so I can use any of my footwear on the bike. There have been some days when my cycling shoes are wet from several days of rain and once the rain quit I could change to a dry pair of shoes and let my cycle shoes dry out for a day. Thus, I like my off bike shoes to have stiff enough soles that they are comfortable to use on pedals for a full day if desired.

Some only bring one pair of shoes for everything. A friend of mine used to do that but after having soaked shoes for about three or four days, he started having foot problems and we had to stop for a couple days until his feet got better.

indyfabz 03-21-22 12:34 PM

Look at some models from Xero. E.g.,:

Speed Force - Men - Xero Shoes

I am currently using an older version of these:

Mesa Trail - "Best Minimalist, Men's Trail Running Shoe" - Xero Shoes

One nice thing is that they pack down pretty flat.

I have a pair of Keen's like those shown. Ridiculously heavy.

79pmooney 03-21-22 12:38 PM

I carried Teva sandals for several week-long Cycle Oregons because riding velcro strapped shoes on the fix gear took such a toll on my feet on the mountain days. With sandals, I could give my feet freedom during rest stops. The red bag inside the Lezyne WB cage under the DT.) Held in place with a toestrap running under the cage between the bosses and through a strap sewn to the bag. ( Never want it to catch the crank! Not on a fix gear going 45 mph.) My first Tevas, bought for that job. Came to love them, have three pairs now and are one of my regular foot wares.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bc25fdbb38.jpg

HendersonD 03-21-22 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by pdlamb (Post 22446005)
A lot depends on what you're planning to do off the bike. I like to take a pair of Teva sandals on a tour, where they double as shower shoes and, with wool socks, sneakers for light duty walking. Of the three choices you show, I'd go with the Crocs first, though they don't feel particularly good on my feet for lots of walking.

If you're planning to do some fairly serious hiking in rocky canyons or badlands, the Altra might work well. Does it have decent arch support? (Or are you one of those lucky people who can hike in flip-flops?)

The Keen, if it's like my Keen bike sandals, is the worst of all worlds. Heavy, lets sand and gravel in, and not very good as a shower shoe because it traps water in those numerous straps.

The Keens are not the SPD sandals they sell, just the regular Newport sandals. I already own a pair and they are very comfortable. The big down size is their weight. Off bike I might do a little walking around town, hiking, and maybe even a little biking if the campsite or hotel I am at is a distance from a grocery store.

HendersonD 03-21-22 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN (Post 22446009)
A friend of mine usually uses crocs. I have changed over time but last few tours used Merrill Moab waterproof hiking shoes. But I also bring a lightweight pair of Teva sandals that I can use as shower shoes or if in hot weather, wear in the campsite. Nobody calls me a light weight traveler.

Note that I use pedals that are SPD cleat on one side, platform on the other so I can use any of my footwear on the bike. There have been some days when my cycling shoes are wet from several days of rain and once the rain quit I could change to a dry pair of shoes and let my cycle shoes dry out for a day. Thus, I like my off bike shoes to have stiff enough soles that they are comfortable to use on pedals for a full day if desired.

Some only bring one pair of shoes for everything. A friend of mine used to do that but after having soaked shoes for about three or four days, he started having foot problems and we had to stop for a couple days until his feet got better.

My pedals are also double sided so I can use my Bontrager biking shoes with cleats but can also bike using regular shoes. I hope to do little biking with flats though. Even if my cycling shoes are wet I cannot imagine biking with my other choice in shoes for 50+ miles in one day. The Keens do have the stiffest sole followed by the Crocs and Altra (in essence a sneaker/running shoe) with a softer sole. I am really trying to just bring my cycling shoes and one other pair

HendersonD 03-21-22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 79pmooney (Post 22446018)
I carried Teva sandals for several week-long Cycle Oregons because riding velcro strapped shoes on the fix gear took such a toll on my feet on the mountain days. With sandals, I could give my feet freedom during rest stops. The red bag inside the Lezyne WB cage under the DT.) Held in place with a toestrap running under the cage between the bosses and through a strap sewn to the bag. ( Never want it to catch the crank! Not on a fix gear going 45 mph.) My first Tevas, bought for that job. Came to love them, have three pairs now and are one of my regular foot wares.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...bc25fdbb38.jpg

Perhaps I should try a pair of Tevas. Use to have a pair years ago. My only concern is they are open toe. I tend to like something that is closed toe

HendersonD 03-21-22 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22446012)
Look at some models from Xero. E.g.,:

Speed Force - Men - Xero Shoes

I am currently using an older version of these:

Mesa Trail - "Best Minimalist, Men's Trail Running Shoe" - Xero Shoes

One nice thing is that they pack down pretty flat.

I have a pair of Keen's like those shown. Ridiculously heavy.

How is the toe box on those Xero shoes? How are they comfort wise?

str 03-21-22 02:20 PM

Decathlon Beach Shoes 😂 super-LIGHT and zero VOLUME

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...25994b490d.png

HendersonD 03-21-22 02:55 PM

I have an older pair of Crocs that I rarely wear but have decided to wear them a lot over the next few days. This will give me a good sense whether they would work as a good off bike shoe. Certainly they are light at 12.2 ounces per pair and are nearly indestructible

boomhauer 03-21-22 03:11 PM

Just bring one pair of shoes. Maybe it will be fine.
If it isn't fine, buy some cheap tennis shoes at the dollar store/general/etc... , which are everywhere.

kstephens 03-21-22 03:27 PM

I love teva for my needs. They are great for wearing around off the bike, showers, with or without socks for a hike, and also good to wade streams to fish (I'l usually carry a 4 piece fly rod). Use dual side pedals (spd/platform) and will wear them on the bike as well. I may think different about the extra weigh if I were doing a longer or cross country - although not sure I could without a fishing rod.

staehpj1 03-21-22 03:28 PM

I ave done a variety of things on different tours. Crocs worked out okay on the TA for us. Crocs are so easy to kick on or off when getting in and out of the tent. The best choice depends on how much and what kind of off bike walking and hiking you will do. They are okay for moderate hiking.

If there is one particular area where you expect to do a lot of hiking on more rugged terrain you can buy a pair of trail runners and mail them home when done with that area, I did that before. Something like a week in Yosemite Valley in the middle of a tour might warrant that.

I have also gone with some really minimal huaraches as second shoes and also just worn my spd shoes for everything a time or two.

If you plan to summit some difficult peaks along the way you may need real boots. That is an unusual special purpose exception though. I have never done that. You can do some fairly aggressive stuff in trail runners.

tcs 03-21-22 04:03 PM

Remember Lachlan Morton, the cat who raced the professional ToF peloton to Paris last summer and beat them by five days (by riding basically round-the-clock)? Yeah, his cycling shoes became too painful to ride in, so he finished his ultra-marathon ride in Croc slides:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...ff9ed3fc76.png

indyfabz 03-21-22 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by HendersonD (Post 22446100)
How is the toe box on those Xero shoes? How are they comfort wise?

Both are good. I’m a tall, relatively heavy guy. I have no problem walking around on concrete wearing them.

Mine are at work.l right now. I’ll check on Wednesday, but I think they run a little large size-wise.

zandoval 03-21-22 04:21 PM

Here's a set I found that don't mind getting wet and also allow ya run for your life if ya have to... $18.00 USD

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...c50fd91c1b.png

"clapzovr Mens Sandals Shower Water Shoes Beach Swim Pool River Shoes Comfort Garden Clogs"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KC8QVO 03-21-22 04:45 PM

I have an earlier version of the Keen Newport closed toe sandals. I really like them. When they wear out I will replace them with what ever the current version is I'm sure.

I got the Keens well before I got in to cycle touring - I got them for backpacking camp shoes. I tried crocks or grogs what ever they are called - the slip on "shoes" - and had terrible results with them as camp shoes. They had no support and I needed support in the woods. The Keen's give enough support I can - and have - backpacked in them instead of my hiking boots. Those are what I wear for water crossings so if trails have a lot of water crossings I just wear the keens and hike in them.

However, as much as I like the keen's I would not recommend them as your sole "off-bike" shoe. If you are going to be in fair weather then some hiking boots would be really nice if it is a bit cooler or if you are walking any significant distance. Waterproof boots would be really nice if you are going to be in much rainy weather. That brings up also good rain gear too, not just footwear.

I will leave the discussion there and to which ever way it steers. I am sure you are going after less options/lighter weight than I would, though I would look at the big picture of your comfort on such a trip and if footwear is going to be an important part of that for you then I say you treat yourself and don't cut out options simply to save on bulk/weight if you don't have to.

Happy riding and good luck on your trip!

HendersonD 03-21-22 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by KC8QVO (Post 22446331)
I have an earlier version of the Keen Newport closed toe sandals. I really like them. When they wear out I will replace them with what ever the current version is I'm sure.

I got the Keens well before I got in to cycle touring - I got them for backpacking camp shoes. I tried crocks or grogs what ever they are called - the slip on "shoes" - and had terrible results with them as camp shoes. They had no support and I needed support in the woods. The Keen's give enough support I can - and have - backpacked in them instead of my hiking boots. Those are what I wear for water crossings so if trails have a lot of water crossings I just wear the keens and hike in them.

However, as much as I like the keen's I would not recommend them as your sole "off-bike" shoe. If you are going to be in fair weather then some hiking boots would be really nice if it is a bit cooler or if you are walking any significant distance. Waterproof boots would be really nice if you are going to be in much rainy weather. That brings up also good rain gear too, not just footwear.

I will leave the discussion there and to which ever way it steers. I am sure you are going after less options/lighter weight than I would, though I would look at the big picture of your comfort on such a trip and if footwear is going to be an important part of that for you then I say you treat yourself and don't cut out options simply to save on bulk/weight if you don't have to.

Happy riding and good luck on your trip!

Thanks, I am looking forward to this long ride. I do not plan on doing much if any hiking off bike. I will certainly be doing some walking as I go from camp to grocery stores and restaurants. Most of the time it will just be walking around the campground or the occasional hotel. If I do opt for Crocs I will be brining a pair of wool socks to wear during colder mornings or evenings

mauricesnail 03-21-22 04:58 PM

+1 for crocs, they're finally getting the credit they deserve

staehpj1 03-21-22 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by HendersonD (Post 22446345)
Thanks, I am looking forward to this long ride. I do not plan on doing much if any hiking off bike. I will certainly be doing some walking as I go from camp to grocery stores and restaurants. Most of the time it will just be walking around the campground or the occasional hotel. If I do opt for Crocs I will be brining a pair of wool socks to wear during colder mornings or evenings

You will probably find you want to do at least a little hiking. Maybe not anything serious hiking wise, but there are some things that require a bit of a hike and would be a shame to miss. Things that come to mind are a soak in Jerry Johnson Hot Springs, various waterfalls, and the view looking down from the back of Grand Prismatic to mention a couple. I found Crocs okay for anything we wanted to hike on the TA. I definitely was not happy with them for the Sierra Cascades when we got to the Yosemite Valley where we decided it was worth a week to hike and sight see. I rarely take days off the bike, but the valley was worth it and buying a pair of shoes for that from the camp store was worth it too.

waddo 03-21-22 08:55 PM

I'd say one pair of shoes/sandals for everything. In warm seasons I take keen sandals: I ride, walk through streams, take outdoor showers etc. They quickly dry and are very comfortable.

MarcusT 03-21-22 11:13 PM

I use Solomon XA Pro non-gore tex. They dry quickly and can be used for most walking situations. Then a pair of flip flops

indyfabz 03-22-22 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by staehpj1 (Post 22446402)
You will probably find you want to do at least a little hiking. Maybe not anything serious hiking wise, but there are some things that require a bit of a hike and would be a shame to miss.

+1. I’ve done several extended walks/hikes during days on the Trans Am and Northern Tier Routes.

OP: Remember that you will be passing through places like Yellowstone and the Tetons. There may even be nice trails starting at campgrounds.

HendersonD 03-22-22 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 22446716)
+1. I’ve done several extended walks/hikes during days on the Trans Am and Northern Tier Routes.

OP: Remember that you will be passing through places like Yellowstone and the Tetons. There may even be nice trails starting at campgrounds.

I will certainly be doing some hiking during my TransAm tour but it will be short distances. I have been to Yellowstone and the Tetons on 3 different occasions and did a good bit of hiking and backpacking while there. For example, the short hike to the view over the grand prismatic can certainly be done even with Crocs. Something like hiking up Mt. Marshall needs something sturdier than Crocs but that is a full day hike preceded by a long bike ride from the Grant campground so I will not be doing anything like this. If I had never been to Yellowstone or the Tetons I would likely stay for several days and do some hiking. I will hike to the grand prismatic, take a swim in the Fire Hole, and keep rolling