Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hit a deer on the way to work. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1186571)

joelcool 10-25-19 09:22 AM

Hit a deer on the way to work.

It was pre-dawn on a bike path, I was probably going 15-20 before I saw the deer. I had a chance to slow down but we still collided. It was a young buck. I did not fall off the bike, no visible damage other than I'm a bit shaken up.

Happy Friday!

Flip Flop Rider 10-25-19 09:34 AM

exciting! glad there were no injuries

livedarklions 10-25-19 09:36 AM

Check for ticks. Only half kidding.

Wilfred Laurier 10-25-19 09:44 AM

I've been close before. Once a deer jumping out of the bushes in front of me, and I may be exaggerating the closeness of the encounter since it was many years ago, but I was travelling quite slowly on a trail and the deer actually passed over my front wheel.

I also was a couple meters from hitting a moose at a much higher rate of speed on another occasion. The moose sauntered out of the way just in time, luckily for me. The moose would obviously not have been injured, but it would have been at least like hitting a brick wall, if not hitting a brick wall and then being trampled.

livedarklions 10-25-19 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier (Post 21179632)
I've been close before. Once a deer jumping out of the bushes in front of me, and I may be exaggerating the closeness of the encounter since it was many years ago, but I was travelling quite slowly on a trail and the deer actually passed over my front wheel.

I also was a couple meters from hitting a moose at a much higher rate of speed on another occasion. The moose sauntered out of the way just in time, luckily for me. The moose would obviously not have been injured, but it would have been at least like hitting a brick wall, if not hitting a brick wall and then being trampled.

Depending on the season, you may have been lucky the moose didn't chase you. You probably wouldn't win that race.

Milton Keynes 10-25-19 09:48 AM

I had a deer run out in front of me a few mornings ago. Luckily, not nearly a close call, it was about 25 feet in front of me. Still, it did startle me a bit as I wasn't expecting a deer to be running around town.

Milton Keynes 10-25-19 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21179636)
Depending on the season, you may have been lucky the moose didn't chase you. You probably wouldn't win that race.

Moose bites kan be pretti nasti...

55murray 10-25-19 09:51 AM

Glad it was not worse- now you have a cool story! I barely brushed up against one once when a herd ran into the road from the woods, did not even disturb my balance. I'm more worried about raccoons...

Marcus_Ti 10-25-19 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by joelcool (Post 21179603)
It was pre-dawn on a bike path, I was probably going 15-20 before I saw the deer. I had a chance to slow down but we still collided. It was a young buck. I did not fall off the bike, no visible damage other than I'm a bit shaken up.

Happy Friday!

At least the deer ran off: https://abcnews.go.com/US/arkansas-h...ry?id=66504417

I've had lots of near-to-the-MUP deer sightings on my end of My Fair City this fall. A few crossing it casually.

badger1 10-25-19 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 21179643)
Møøse bites kan be pretti nasti...

fify

badger1 10-25-19 10:15 AM

Happy Friday!

Were you riding in your illusory drops at the time?

(Seriously: kudos for getting away relatively unscathed.)

GlennR 10-25-19 10:33 AM

8 years ago my son was on a training ride and the guy in front of him hit a deer. They were on a long decent and were doing over 35mph. The rider broke his collar bone, 2 ribs and his wrist. His carbon bike was in 3 pieces. The deer stumbled into the woods where the state police found it... they heard a single shot a few minutes later.

terrymorse 10-25-19 10:41 AM

Deer are a menace.

livedarklions 10-25-19 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 21179738)
Deer are a menace.

Especially when they keep their hooves on the hoods.

mstateglfr 10-25-19 10:45 AM

Just last week at work we were doing an ice breaker game before a meeting and I said that my biggest fear is being impaled by a deer while riding.

That got a lot of blank stares.

coopman 10-25-19 11:07 AM

Glad that you were not injured. It could have been so much worse. Deer are dangerous, especially if they have guns.

indyfabz 10-25-19 11:08 AM

MUPs truly are dangerous in more ways than one. Glad there were no injuries.

terrymorse 10-25-19 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21179743)
Especially when they keep their hooves on the hoods.

Deer probably would ride on the hoods. They are not very bright.

indyfabz 10-25-19 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 21179716)
8 years ago my son was on a training ride and the guy in front of him hit a deer. They were on a long decent and were doing over 35mph. The rider broke his collar bone, 2 ribs and his wrist. His carbon bike was in 3 pieces. The deer stumbled into the woods where the state police found it... they heard a single shot a few minutes later.

I came close back in 2013 while touring across Pennsylvania. I, too, was descending rather fast. There were woods/bushes to my right. I said out loud to myself "Stay frosty. You never know what might come out of the woods." I kid you not that about 3 seconds later a deer came bounding out of the bushes and ran in front of me. I missed him by about 15'. Reinforced my belief that there is some sort of ESP or something that we just have not harnessed yet. Also scared the crap out of me.

rseeker 10-25-19 11:21 AM

Sure it wasn't a squirrel? Those guys are always up in my grill.

You did say it was pre-dawn.

(Kidding. Glad you're okay.)

Koyote 10-25-19 11:25 AM

A moment of panic, a lifetime of one-upping other people who tell their stories of hitting deer with their automobiles. I think you did alright for yourself.

Koyote 10-25-19 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz (Post 21179797)
I came close back in 2013 while touring across Pennsylvania. I, too, was descending rather fast. There were woods/bushes to my right. I said out loud to myself "Stay frosty. You never know what might come out of the woods." I kid you not that about 3 seconds later a deer came bounding out of the bushes and ran in front of me. I missed him by about 15'. Reinforced my belief that there is some sort of ESP or something that we just have not harnessed yet. Also scared the crap out of me.

About thirty years ago, I was with a girlfriend in a campground at Great Smoky Mountains NP. We were sitting down, watching a squirrel running around in a tree about 30 feet above us. gf said "I wonder if they ever fall?"...And a moment later the squirrel fell to the ground, right in front of us.

I said to her, "Be careful what you say from now on."

leob1 10-25-19 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 21179643)
Moose bites kan be pretti nasti...

Those responsible for this comment have been sacked.

NomarsGirl 10-25-19 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by terrymorse (Post 21179738)
Deer are a menace.

You're telling me! I've been trying to get the town to move the deer crossing sign away from my house. I don't want the deer crossing here.

billyymc 10-25-19 11:52 AM

Join the club! Ha. My buddy and I were actually hit BY two deer that ran out of the roadside brush. On a dirt road early morning about six weeks ago. Knocked us both down...one deer had it’s legs caught in my spokes and the other hit my buddy square in the body. Dirt road had just been regraded so it was soft - no injuries to riders or bikes