Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Winter Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Looking for help finding a relaxed fit jacket that blocks wind (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1192423)

alpharalpha 01-22-20 08:01 AM

Looking for help finding a relaxed fit jacket that blocks wind
 
I've been reading thru the threads but mostly about cycling gear. I ride my bike around town so same clothes inside; looking for a relaxed fit hoodie type jacket that's not bulky that'll block wind and look like regular street wear (I'm 6.2' 220lbs so in tall sizes a plus). Here in Central FL we don't get a lot of really cold days but when we do--like today--it can get down in the 30s. Don't want to spend over $75 as it'll only be worn a handful of times during winter. I'm at a loss if should get more of a rain type or if there's a better solution and figured you'd be the group to know. Breathability's not an issue as my rides are fairly short.

parkbrav 01-22-20 09:05 AM


Originally Posted by alpharalpha (Post 21294844)
I've been reading thru the threads but mostly about cycling gear. I ride my bike around town so same clothes inside; looking for a relaxed fit hoodie type jacket that's not bulky that'll block wind and look like regular street wear (I'm 6.2' 220lbs so in tall sizes a plus). Here in Central FL we don't get a lot of really cold days but when we do--like today--it can get down in the 30s. Don't want to spend over $75 as it'll only be worn a handful of times during winter. I'm at a loss if should get more of a rain type or if there's a better solution and figured you'd be the group to know. Breathability's not an issue as my rides are fairly short.

You're in luck, Perl Izumi is having a Clearance sale on everything. If buying P-I, I suggest buying the next size up because they run a bit small
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/sho...ket/p/19131901

rumrunn6 01-22-20 09:51 AM

got a traditional sweatshirt kicking around the house? FWIW I picked up an inexpensive, thin, bright, orange one a cpl years ago for fall riding in the woods & it's quite useful. even fits under my helmet. if I get too warm I just take the hood off. think I got it at Walmart. would be better w/ a zipper, but this one is is so nice & thin. I have a thicker grey one w/ a zipper, that I sometimes use as well, but that hood is too thick to fit under my helmets

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...14bde1a642.jpg

also have an inexpensive, thin rain jacket (not cycling specific) that falls into this category. but it doesn't vent well so I have to layer carefully

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5eb693735f.jpg

sometimes a vest is all you need. how about something with zip off arms, so you can regulate / vent more easily?

AstroEng 01-23-20 07:51 PM

I bought this from REI for a different purpose, but it is intended for what you desire. It's good in moderate wind and light rain.

I'm 6'1" and larger (i.e. fat) and wanted a softshell jacket that would allow me to later underneath. Most softshells I found are very trim cut (like most cycling clothing) and make that difficult. I bring this up because that means that the cut is more casual like a normal jacket.

It doesn't meet your requirement for a hood. I use it over work clothes (typically a polo) or a base layer down to about 30F with no issues. Using the insulated base layer, I wear it down to 20F before I add a fleece layer. On the occasion that I'm riding in work clothes (rare), I wear a sweater jacket as my intermediate layer to stay warm. That's what I mean by room to layer.

I has a little bit of reflective highlights that are mostly unnoticeable in daylight. Obviously, the one I got was orange, but more subdued that typical bike gear. I don't feel tacky wearing it as a jacket if I go out to lunch or something similar during the day.

I like the rear zipper pocket as there is a lot of room to carry gloves, hat, pad lock, or whatever.

I can't tell if it is no longer made, been updated, or just out of stock at REI. I got a XXL on sale for $50 in late winter last year. It might actually be a little big, but works great.

https://www.rei.com/product/136581/c...ng-jacket-mens

DrIsotope 01-23-20 10:29 PM

Sounds like you're in much the same situation I am-- my "winter gear" gets worn maybe a dozen times a year. I picked up one of these on Amazon about two months ago, have worn it (I think) five times, and have no regrets.

I'm 6'2" and about 215, so we should have fairly close fit. I do have spidery-long arms ( a 37" sleeve,) and unlike most every other jacket I've ever put on, this one has long enough sleeves. Excellent in the 30s and low 40s. Haven't experienced lower recently.

Best part? 30 bucks.

alpharalpha 01-28-20 06:39 AM


Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 21295002)
got a traditional sweatshirt kicking around the house? FWIW I picked up an inexpensive, thin, bright, orange one a cpl years ago for fall riding in the woods & it's quite useful. even fits under my helmet. if I get too warm I just take the hood off. think I got it at Walmart. would be better w/ a zipper, but this one is is so nice & thin. I have a thicker grey one w/ a zipper, that I sometimes use as well, but that hood is too thick to fit under my helmets

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...14bde1a642.jpg

also have an inexpensive, thin rain jacket (not cycling specific) that falls into this category. but it doesn't vent well so I have to layer carefully

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...5eb693735f.jpg

sometimes a vest is all you need. how about something with zip off arms, so you can regulate / vent more easily?

That's what I ended up getting; Columbia's having a winter sale so picked up a pretty beefy sweatshirt and a lined rain/wind jacket
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f9a415e89f.jpg

rumrunn6 01-28-20 07:42 AM


Originally Posted by alpharalpha (Post 21302951)
Columbia's having a winter sale so picked up a pretty beefy sweatshirt and a lined rain/wind jacket

:thumb: happy layering!

parkbrav 01-28-20 09:48 AM

I also have a Columbia rain jacket. I rave about it. It is light-weight and also does a very good job of keeping me dry


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.