Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I want to tilt my saddle up but... (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=329206)

dannyq 08-04-07 05:28 PM

I want to tilt my saddle up but...

because I don't it think it does! I see the bolt under the saddle for moving it forward/backward but that's it. Am I missing something here?

roadfix 08-04-07 06:05 PM

The bottom half of the rail clamp is wedged tight on the seatpost. After loosening that bolt give your saddle a sharp karate chop. That should loosen things up.

dannyq 08-04-07 06:10 PM

Nah, I can loosen the rail bolt no problem. I just don't get how to tilt the saddle.

Mr. Beanz 08-04-07 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by dannyq (Post 5001720)
Nah, I can loosen the rail bolt no problem. I just don't get how to tilt the saddle.

That's the one! You need to loosen it MORE. Just enough to raise the top half of the clamp awayf rom the lower half cause it interlocks with grooves and slots formed into the top of the post where the clamp seats.

Roadfix is right, if you don't loosen it very much, karate chop it into place. Or loosen it more.

Some clamps have two bolts. You can loosen this one and tighten that one to tilt up and down. Usually on the better posts like a Tompson post ($80).

ttopaz 08-04-07 07:32 PM

After seeing this thread and other about bar tape, I wonder if some people can walk and chew gum.

dannyq 08-04-07 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ttopaz (Post 5002176)
After seeing this thread and other about bar tape, I wonder if some people can walk and chew gum.

Actually, I'm not very knowledgeable about bikes yet and I asked on here first before making any adjustments as not to mess anything up.

dannyq 08-04-07 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 5002117)
That's the one! You need to loosen it MORE. Just enough to raise the top half of the clamp awayf rom the lower half cause it interlocks with grooves and slots formed into the top of the post where the clamp seats.

Roadfix is right, if you don't loosen it very much, karate chop it into place. Or loosen it more.

Some clamps have two bolts. You can loosen this one and tighten that one to tilt up and down. Usually on the better posts like a Tompson post ($80).

Thank you.

Nermal 08-04-07 08:47 PM

Dannyq, I've learned way more from questions like yours than answers like ttopaz's.

Mr. Beanz 08-04-07 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nermal (Post 5002485)
Dannyq, I've learned way more from questions like yours than answers like ttopaz's.

I'm still working on the walking and chewing gum thang!:D

LastPlace 08-04-07 09:05 PM

dannyq,

If that doesn't work, try posting a picture in case you have an unusual seat/seatpost situation.

BTW, I was in Halifax one year during the Busker(sp) festival and it was absolutely great. Hope to get back to Nova Scotia some time.

Good luck.

dapittbull69 08-04-07 10:44 PM

i guess being a dick about it helps out in both circumstances! The only way to learn is to ask questions no more how simple they may appear to be to others!

ttopaz 08-04-07 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by dapittbull69 (Post 5003056)
i guess being a dick about it helps out in both circumstances! The only way to learn is to ask questions no more how simple they may appear to be to others!

Sorry, this is not the only way. One can still search for unswers on this forum or web.:rolleyes:

Brianwh 08-05-07 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nermal (Post 5002485)

Well said!

Mr. Beanz 08-05-07 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by ttopaz (Post 5003248)
Sorry, this is not the only way. One can still search for unswers on this forum or web.:rolleyes:

Most threads have some many nonsense replies, he'd have to read thru 50 stupid replies to get an answer. At least this way, he can get 3 or 4 good ones and one bad!:D

Besides, if everybody searched old topics, reading the forum would be like wathcing I Love Lucy re-runs. Modern day tv and movies are all remakes and reuse of the same old jokes and topics. Works there, why can't it work here?:p

alicestrong 08-05-07 08:52 AM

Here is a good thread...

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=liberator

roadfix 08-05-07 11:17 AM

A single bolt seatpost almost always need to be jarred loose initially to make tilt adjustments.

ericgu 08-05-07 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by dannyq (Post 5001582)
because I don't it think it does! I see the bolt under the saddle for moving it forward/backward but that's it. Am I missing something here?

Others noted how to do it. It's really good idea to take a sharpie and put a mark across the two serrated parts, so you can tell where it was before.

dannyq 08-05-07 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by LastPlace (Post 5002558)
dannyq,

If that doesn't work, try posting a picture in case you have an unusual seat/seatpost situation.

BTW, I was in Halifax one year during the Busker(sp) festival and it was absolutely great. Hope to get back to Nova Scotia some time.

Good luck.

The busker festival is starting next week!

dannyq 08-05-07 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz (Post 5004277)
Most threads have some many nonsense replies, he'd have to read thru 50 stupid replies to get an answer. At least this way, he can get 3 or 4 good ones and one bad!:D

Besides, if everybody searched old topics, reading the forum would be like wathcing I Love Lucy re-runs. Modern day tv and movies are all remakes and reuse of the same old jokes and topics. Works there, why can't it work here?:p

I always search for a long time before asking any questions on here so I can be somewhat certain the question wasn't already asked.

I hate the "do a search" replies.

Stacey 08-05-07 07:15 PM

I've just mastered walking & farting, chewing gum in my next goal. :lol:

e0richt 08-06-07 01:52 PM

if you loosen the bolt more, it will eventually allow you to "lift" on the seat and allow you to tilt it...

special_k 01-31-08 12:59 AM

You might have your seatpost installed backwards.
That happened to me once.
Once you turned the seatpost the right way, all the problems will be solved.

Roody 01-31-08 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stacey (Post 5006889)
I've just mastered walking & farting, chewing gum in my next goal. :lol:

Gum always gives me gas and I can't walk when I'm farting.

Roody 01-31-08 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by ttopaz (Post 5003248)

You could search for etiquette.

Billy Bones 01-31-08 06:46 AM

When Good Messages Go Bad

Anyway dannyq, you just encountered one of my pet peeves about cycling mechanical stuff, that darned saddle adjustment bolt and block. The use of a single bolt to adjust both saddle pitch and horizontal slew is the very definition of "inelegant" and you are justified in being temporarily stymied by it. I have been cycling for five decades and still lay down a barrage of blashpemy and scatology when I try to adjust one. But then I can't chew gum and chew gum simultaneously. :)