Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Summertime! Severe case of bicycle shirt (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1177809)

jideta 07-08-19 09:44 PM

Summertime! Severe case of bicycle shirt

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1e3a4f0810.jpg

I better hang out at the beach a bit more...sans jersey.

canklecat 07-09-19 02:51 AM

Rule #7 satisfied.

I, on the other hand, have mushy tan lines because I vary my jerseys and tees too much. And despite riding sans sunscreen all spring and summer, my legs still look like raw chicken drumsticks, other than slightly tan knees.

:ride: <<<---(Me, not caring about my tan lines.)

OldTryGuy 07-09-19 04:44 AM

I now wear arm sleeves and found them to be much better than going sleeveless or slapping on sunscreen. Common sense dictated that by doing so would help reduce the chances of adding skin cancer to my prostate cancer diagnosis.

FlMTNdude 07-09-19 04:47 AM

I have difficulty imagining riding with sleeves, I need airflow. Tried it running quite a number of times, was sweat soaked faster than ever. Not sure how effective sunscreen would be. All I need to do to sweat is stand outside in the summer for 5 minutes. And that is with a job that puts me outside 70% of the time.

257 roberts 07-09-19 04:54 AM

I wear long sleeve Columbia fishing shirts to try and avoid more skin cancer and when I'm riding rail trails I wear a hat instead of my helmet for the same reason

Rides4Beer 07-09-19 07:14 AM

No tan lines here, I wear suncreen on my arms, neck and thighs when riding, and get plenty of pool time to keep the tan nice and even. :thumb:

livedarklions 07-09-19 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21018038)
Rule #7 satisfied.

I, on the other hand, have mushy tan lines because I vary my jerseys and tees too much. And despite riding sans sunscreen all spring and summer, my legs still look like raw chicken drumsticks, other than slightly tan knees.

:ride: <<<---(Me, not caring about my tan lines.)

I have tan legs and dark brown knees. It almost looks like I forgot to wash.

thumpism 07-09-19 08:41 AM

Don't be that guy.
http://dtlon6z3v1kfl.cloudfront.net/...uneven-tan.jpg

Litespud 07-09-19 09:59 AM

I spray on SPF100 before every ride during summer - keeps my farmers tan down to a swarm of freckles in a field of light brown. As a pale Paddy, I got roasted so often as a child I'm amazed that I'm not a walking melanoma

DrIsotope 07-09-19 10:11 AM

My farmer lines are soft and fuzzy because I don't think I own more than two jerseys with the same length sleeves.

It's not legit until you have the tanlines from the bib straps on your back. Also, tanlines on your fingers from the gloves. Bonus for lines from the helmet straps.

I cannot imagine slathering on enough sunscreen to completely prevent tanlines. My wife applies liberally, and still has the short lines on her legs.

UniChris 07-09-19 10:18 AM

Long sleeves and now full finger gloves. With that and the helmet brim I basically put sunscreen on my knees.

livedarklions 07-09-19 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 21018346)

I'd rather be that guy than be catty enough to take pictures of strangers like that.

JanMM 07-09-19 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy (Post 21018089)
I now wear arm sleeves and found them to be much better than going sleeveless or slapping on sunscreen. Common sense dictated that by doing so would help reduce the chances of adding skin cancer to my prostate cancer diagnosis.

Yes - arm coolers do the job for my arms.

wipekitty 07-09-19 12:18 PM

Embrace the tan lines! Add in some bruises and/or road rash and you're walking out in style.

I really like to keep the whole cat theme going in every aspect of my life. From wearing gloves, I've got orangey-brown arms and pale 'paws'. It seriously looks like cat paws, and amuses nobody other than me.

berner 07-09-19 04:36 PM

We are getting into those lazy, crazy days of summer here with temps fairly high and strong sun light. I generally like being tanned but as one of the older people here I've been cutting back on exposure. For some reason, my neck gets charred. To stop this broiling I've been wearing a bandana which gets me that, you know, continental look.:) Tomorrow me and my bandana will head out early for a longer ride.

thumpism 07-11-19 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by livedarklions (Post 21018533)
I'd rather be that guy than be catty enough to take pictures of strangers like that.

Not my photo, found on the web. However, I did get a nice shot of a fetching stripes-and-plaid ensemble walking around in the hardware store the other day.

caloso 07-11-19 08:29 PM

I’ve had a farmer’s tan since March.

DropBarFan 07-11-19 08:51 PM

I started wearing long-sleeve shirts/jerseys 3 years ago & have been surprised that they're pretty comfortable in the summer. I think long-sleeves can actually be more comfy on sunnier days. Many folks living in hot countries traditionally keep covered, they must know something.

Myosmith 07-13-19 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by thumpism (Post 21018346)

Looks like a man who works in the sun a good part of the time. I looked like this when I did outdoor labor in my younger days. Sometimes had tan zones for shirtless, sleeveless and t-shirt all at the same time with pale legs from the mandatory denim and work boots. Badge of honor unless you are one of the Malibu Barbie and Ken set.

MikeyMK 07-13-19 07:33 PM

Yeah, that's me. I never get my legs out. The only shorts i own are swimming trunks.

jpdemers 07-15-19 12:06 PM

I ride with a standard tee shirt, nice and loose and drafty. Never cared about being aerodynamic (or looking that way), and never worried about a tan line, since the sleeves flap around enough to blur it.
My one problem with the sun was the tops of my thighs, which got pinked pretty good on the first long rides of the year. SPF 30 was good enough to prevent it . . . when I remembered to put it on. (Which is to say, the second long ride of the year.) :)

Skipjacks 07-15-19 12:18 PM

I have this problem with my feet since I rarely go outside without shoes on.

I have nice tanned legs, the envy of any male model. (If I do say so myself) But when barefoot I look like I'm wearing bright white socks.

jadocs 07-15-19 12:38 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...9fbbdbf06.jpeg
It’s not really noticeable

Skipjacks 07-15-19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by jadocs (Post 21028154)
It’s not really noticeable

I see you have 'Irish gloves' to match my 'Irish socks'.

Notso_fastLane 07-15-19 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by FlMTNdude (Post 21018093)
I have difficulty imagining riding with sleeves, I need airflow. Tried it running quite a number of times, was sweat soaked faster than ever. Not sure how effective sunscreen would be. All I need to do to sweat is stand outside in the summer for 5 minutes. And that is with a job that puts me outside 70% of the time.

Try these: They are inexpensive enough that it you don't like it, you're not out much. I wish this company made leggings. I have several of the silver reflective shirts, and they make it actually cooler if you're riding in the sun. (I'm from AZ, it makes a real difference.))

https://www.vaporapparel.com/mens/solar-long-sleeve/

They flow air well, and are light and comfortable.