Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cheapest generic sporting goods store in SoCal for cycling accessories? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1141192)

Obeast 04-14-18 11:29 AM

Cheapest generic sporting goods store in SoCal for cycling accessories?

like gloves, socks, booties, generic 7-10 bike parts, handlebar tapes, seatpost, handlebar bell, LED lights, locks, etc...at super cheap prices? I was at Walmart and they seem too expensive to me since everything was priced at retail. Looking for discounters of sporting goods stuff. Please help.

edit: what about for bike tools also? like generic wrenches and such.

bogydave 04-14-18 12:18 PM

Dick's sporting goods ?

Your list is Bike shop inventory stuff,
probably not generic or cheap.

"Looking for discounters of sporting goods stuff."
Your best option probably be online

rules of thumbs :)
......Hard to be cheap & good.....
....good usually isn't cheap" ....
....You get what you pay for....

fietsbob 04-14-18 02:11 PM

Why do you hate people in bike shops making a meagre living?

Wall mart to expensive?
and when are you going to get a job, or 2, and earn some money?

Cyclist0108 04-14-18 06:50 PM

Walmart.

Edit: Irony is dead. Ironically.

u235 04-14-18 08:16 PM

A lot of accessories, clothes, and boltons aren't critical and they are cheap on Ebay from a sellers in China or off brand on Amazon. Other than that... clearance/closeout from a traditional bike/sports shop.

jeepseahawk 04-15-18 02:54 AM

JensonUSA, warehouse is in Moreno Valley. Thier only bike shop is in Corona. You can pick up accessories in either place by person. Other option is Amazon but you will not be able to try first. Walmart carries generic bike items, normally would be cheap so having a hard time understanding what you want.

exmechanic89 04-15-18 04:17 AM

In any case Dick's Sporting Goods charges full retail, so that's not the route you wanna go..

MRT2 04-15-18 09:55 AM

There are bargains on bike stuff, but not at discount retailers. Performance and REI might be worth checking out. And, look for end of season sales at your local bike shops. It doesn't happen every day, but I have bought stuff on sale at internet prices at local bike shops. Beyond that, does your local bike federation have swap meets? My local bike federation has a swap meet every December. I usually bring a hundred or two hundred in cash and come away with a bunch of cycling bargains.

And there is, of course, the internet. Nashbar, Performance, Competitive Cyclist are all decent websites where I have bought cycling gear and clothes over the years.

Teamprovicycle 04-16-18 09:57 PM

Dickslocalamazonianmartshop dot com

veganbikes 04-16-18 10:47 PM

Go down to Troll's they have the best prices in town. Just show them your entitlement card for extra discounts.

jefnvk 04-17-18 10:12 AM

Performance Bike or Dicks. But, if Wally World is too expensive, good luck.

Originally Posted by fietsbob (Post 20284066)
Why do you hate people in bike shops making a meagre living?

I don't hate them. They just expect I want to spend $70 on jerseys branded in their store name, or $15 on a pair of socks, when I really have no desire to do either. My $9 Dicks creamsicle jerseys are still holding up well after three years use.

northtexasbiker 04-17-18 10:21 AM

Walmart is nothing but elitist snobs.

fietsbob 04-17-18 10:24 AM

We are an old fish cannery, logging * heritage town, and so not as posh a bike shop. here , tourists pass through on bike tours,

Chamber of Commerce draws people out of the city with, staged events food drink hotels taking over from the old jobs...

* The huge % of clear cuts are evidence that still is going, lots of it is sent to Asia.

caloso 04-17-18 11:05 AM

In my experience, I've never seen any bike-specific stuff at a Dick's/Sports Authority/Big 5 type store that is worth buying at any price.

caloso 04-17-18 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Obeast (Post 20283870)
like gloves, socks, booties, generic 7-10 bike parts, handlebar tapes, seatpost, handlebar bell, LED lights, locks, etc...at super cheap prices? I was at Walmart and they seem too expensive to me since everything was priced at retail. Looking for discounters of sporting goods stuff. Please help.

You can get a great set of metric hex and torx wrenches at Lowes/HD/Sears. Or you can save a few dollars and go to Harbor Freight and get a set that will round off your bolt heads.

jefnvk 04-17-18 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 20289884)
You can get a great set of metric hex and torx wrenches at Lowes/HD/Sears. Or you can save a few dollars and go to Harbor Freight and get a set that will round off your bolt heads.

I'd never buy anything powered there, but I would challenge anyone to tell me the difference between most of my HF hand tools and any generic stuff from HD/Lowes/Menards.

Except the free screwdriver sets, those are utter crap.

Fargo Wolf 04-17-18 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Obeast (Post 20283870)

If you're in Canada (have no idea if you live in Canada, the US, or elsewhere) Crappy (Canadian) Tire is the place to go.

GuessWhoCycling 04-17-18 05:02 PM

I order online, tyres etc and pay half the price I would at a local shop.

Then I throw in the little stuff to make up the remaining 10-15 dollars I need for free shipping seeing the minimum was 100 last time I ordered.

Not sure how many times my order comes out to $92. I order a water bottle for $8 to make the 100 minimum. It's like getting a free Camel Back podium bottle. Or a tub of chamois cream.

Better to get something for the cost of shipping than nothing, I order most my small stuff that way knowing one always needs tires.

Chamois cream, bottle cages, water bottles, bar tape etc......... It's like getting your small stuff for free! :thumb:

TGT1 04-17-18 06:49 PM

I keep an eye on biketiresdirect.com for sales on normal wear items, Tires, chains, cassettes, etc. and buy ahead of anticipated need if required to get the right price. There are some things that just wear out on a regular basis.

Slightspeed 04-18-18 07:19 PM

I was at Northridge, CA REI putting up posters for our club charity ride. While waiting for the manager, I browsed the bike section and was pleasantly surprised by the decent selection and prices, on stuff that I actually use. Nice people, check them out. Probably not good for obsolete or vintage stuff, but that's what eBay and swap meets are for.