Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Hunt 35 Carbon Gravel or Bontrager Aerolus Pro 3V? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1176905)

flyjimmy 06-28-19 03:53 PM

Hunt 35 Carbon Gravel or Bontrager Aerolus Pro 3V?

For my Checkpoint ALR 5. Thoughts on either?

chief9245 06-30-19 12:07 PM

Never dealt with the Bontragers but I have a set of the Hunts and they're bulletproof and a great price for what you get. They stand behind their product too with a three year warranty and a 60 day trial

flyjimmy 06-30-19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by chief9245 (Post 21004349)
Never dealt with the Bontragers but I have a set of the Hunts and they're bulletproof and a great price for what you get. They stand behind their product too with a three year warranty and a 60 day trial

Thanks. The biggest difference is the Bontrager rims are 25 mm internal verses 23mm for the Hunts. Hunt is also a bit cheaper. I’m wondering what would be better for 40 mm tires.

Kevin R 06-30-19 01:32 PM

Bigger ID of rim will allow the 40mm tire to spread more; which would make for greater comfort at lower PSI.

Both wheelsets are great BTW.

flyjimmy 06-30-19 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin R (Post 21004444)
Bigger ID of rim will allow the 40mm tire to spread more; which would make for greater comfort at lower PSI.

Both wheelsets are great BTW.

Do you think 25mm vs 23mm internal is that much of a difference? Assuming 40mm tires. Is there a point where it becomes too wide?

SilverRubicon 06-30-19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by flyjimmy (Post 21004446)
Do you think 25mm vs 23mm internal is that much of a difference? Assuming 40mm tires. Is there a point where it becomes too wide?

This will probably be of interest to you. Has a few thoughts on the subject.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2019/...eed-wide-rims/

Planemaker 06-30-19 08:18 PM

I'm looking at the exact same two wheels. I'm leaning towards the Bontrager wheels because the rim is wider (not a big issue), there is no weight limit on the Bontrager wheels (thinking bikepacking) and the warranty is administered locally.

A fellow here just brought a wheel into the Trek store because he had the bike on his car rack and the wheel was to close to the exhaust, the wheel was destroyed. Local Trek shop swapped out the wheel from stock immediately and working directly with Trek to get their inventory replaced.

flyjimmy 06-30-19 09:18 PM

I do have the same Bontrager pro 3 rims on my road bike (without the v designation) and have been happy so far. There is no rush to get new wheels on the gravel bike so it’s nice to hear different opinions. Thanks guys.

Noctilux.95 07-01-19 06:46 AM

Be aware that Hunt greatly exaggerates the weight of their wheels.

Abe_Froman 07-03-19 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Noctilux.95 (Post 21005424)
Be aware that Hunt greatly exaggerates the weight of their wheels.

What does that mean? They say the weight is higher than it actually is?

TimothyH 07-03-19 12:28 PM

Bontrager has a long history of cracked rims. Maybe these are different but two decades is a long track record and their rims continue to fail.

From the Aeolus Pro V3 product page...

you can run lower pressure for better tire support
This is ad copy jibberish. It makes absolutely no sense.

-Tim-

Planemaker 07-03-19 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 21009735)
Bontrager has a long history of cracked rims. Maybe these are different but two decades is a long track record and their rims continue to fail.

From the Aeolus Pro V3 product page...

This is ad copy jibberish. It makes absolutely no sense.

-Tim-

​​​​​These are carbon rims made from the same material their carbon frames are made from.

I don't think the cracked rims you are referring to extend to their carbon wheels.

Chi_Z 07-03-19 09:30 PM

Hunts use cheapo rebranded novatec hub to keep the profit high, at $1079 personally I would look for at least DT350 level hub and above

TimothyH 07-03-19 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Planemaker (Post 21009834)
​​​​​I don't think the cracked rims you are referring to extend to their carbon wheels.

I hope you are right for the sake of those who own them.

Many of us were left with broken wheels, denied warranty claims and Kieth Bontrager blogging that it was our own fault for not rinsing off corrosive winter road salt.

Caveat emptor.

-Tim-

Planemaker 07-04-19 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by TimothyH (Post 21010483)
I hope you are right for the sake of those who own them.

Many of us were left with broken wheels, denied warranty claims and Kieth Bontrager blogging that it was our own fault for not rinsing off corrosive winter road salt.

Caveat emptor.

-Tim-

Tim,

Sorry you had a bad experience with Bontrager wheels. I too had a cracked on a 2013 Domane that was replaced under warranty.

I just don't think it's a fair statement to make that ALL Bontrager rims will crack.

TimothyH 07-04-19 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Planemaker (Post 21011819)
I just don't think it's a fair statement to make that ALL Bontrager rims will crack.

Fair or not, that wasn't my statement. "All Bontrager wheels will crack" were not my words.

My words were "Bontrager has a long history of cracked rims" and "Their rims continue to fail."

-Tim-

Marcus_Ti 07-06-19 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chi_Z (Post 21010480)
Hunts use cheapo rebranded novatec hub to keep the profit high, at $1079 personally I would look for at least DT350 level hub and above

Bingo. For a mortgage payment--I'd expect more than basic cartridge bearing hubs whose most notable feature is that they have cartridge bearings.

Chi_Z 07-06-19 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti (Post 21013721)
Bingo. For a mortgage payment--I'd expect more than basic cartridge bearing hubs whose most notable feature is that they have cartridge bearings.

A quality hub is more than its bearings. Flange strength, weather sealing, and ease of service all plays a major part, cheapo Novatec hubs are notorious for going bad after a few wet rides. It would not be so bad if it was on a $500 wheelset, you paid for what you get. But on a $1000+ wheelset you would expect more

ckindt 02-13-20 12:22 PM

Does anyone have any new updates on this matter?
I have the same curiosity as the OP: Hunt Carbon 35 vs AP3V.
I'm leaning towards the Bontys, but Hunt has made the 35's very desirable to me too.

tdilf 02-13-20 02:08 PM

As was said above - I would go with the rims with better hubs.

katsup 02-13-20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by ckindt (Post 21326529)
Does anyone have any new updates on this matter?
I have the same curiosity as the OP: Hunt Carbon 35 vs AP3V.
I'm leaning towards the Bontys, but Hunt has made the 35's very desirable to me too.

As you're in the US, I'd be concerned about possible tariffs on the Hunt wheels:
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...ices-fall.html

ckindt 02-13-20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by katsup (Post 21326724)
As you're in the US, I'd be concerned about possible tariffs on the Hunt wheels:

Ouch.
Thanks for the warning. I just made my decision.

dwmckee 02-14-20 09:46 PM

Reynolds....

dsaul 02-15-20 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by katsup (Post 21326724)

I just bought some Hunt wheels about a month ago and no tariffs. This was the second set I have purchased from them and both have arrived in less than a week from the UK.

ckindt 02-15-20 07:17 AM

I ended up with a new set of 3Vs from my LBS for a great deal.
The other wheel sets mentioned here are all nice too, but the 3Vs prevailed for me.