Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Tire Pressure for Clement 35 USH (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1171540)

hexron 04-26-19 06:30 PM

Tire Pressure for Clement 35 USH

Anyone have these tires? Tried them for the first time - and hit a patch of really bad gravel and flatted after about 2mi (and got a pin chunk taken out of my rim). I'm thinking for tubulars I had them too low. These are the 120tpi I believe.

I'm starting to wonder if trying to turn my road bike into a gravel bike for one race is worth it. Now I have to replace a rear rim.

DrIsotope 04-26-19 07:57 PM

Tubed? Tubeless? Rim width? How much do you weigh?

I've successfully run 700x35 Hutchinson Overides (tubeless) @ 45psi, and I'm north of 200lbs.

hexron 04-28-19 08:54 AM

Tubed. 23m H+SON Archetype. 225lbs. I'm new to gravel and wanted to ride a big gravel race with friends - so trying to convert my roadie into gravel for a short time. I'm starting to understand tubeless - but I didn't want to invest in a gravel bike/disc wheels/tubeless until I'm sure I enjoy gravel --> which is maybe not the best decision --> cause without bigger tubeless tires I'm wondering if I really can enjoy it. I've done two gravel rides now and they haven't been very enjoyable. I dig the scenery and being out in the middle of nowhere - but don't enjoy so much the tension/stress of constantly trying to avoid stupid stuff - especially sand.

chas58 04-29-19 09:47 AM

55-80 tubed, 40-60 tubeless.

Gravel is more fun tubeless - with wider tires and lower pressure and a bike that is designed to be a little compliant. I've done gravel on a road bike, and while it is doable - some sections (like chunky gravel or washboard) can be a nightmare.

Maybe try it on a mountain bike, and/or rent something from your local LBS (they often have demo bikes).

35mm is getting kinda small unless it is relatively smooth hardpack. Most people like 40mm (or even 45) depending on the terrain.

tofudog415 04-29-19 01:38 PM

I think you're referring to the X'Plor USH, as opposed to the Strada USH, since it's the one that's available in 700c x 35mm. I weigh around 170 lbs., and I run the X'Plor USH at about 55-60 PSI with tubes if going off-road (hardpack dirt), maybe a little higher on road. I don't think Donnelly rates it for tubeless use.

motorthings 05-02-19 08:30 AM

i find this chart very helpful (as long as your rim width is on the tables)

shoota 05-03-19 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by hexron (Post 20902685)
Anyone have these tires? Tried them for the first time - and hit a patch of really bad gravel and flatted after about 2mi (and got a pin chunk taken out of my rim). I'm thinking for tubulars I had them too low. These are the 120tpi I believe.

I'm starting to wonder if trying to turn my road bike into a gravel bike for one race is worth it. Now I have to replace a rear rim.

You fit 35s on a road bike? Which bike is it?