Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   No Name Apparel? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1207029)

SpeedRanger 07-09-20 01:13 PM

No Name Apparel?

Are there any decent quality athletic/cycling apparel companies that don't endorse celebrities, star athletes and social politics to market their products?
I prefer companies that focus on quality products, clever design by fit and function, yet avoid over the top branding, endorsements, and trendy social marketing.

Pop N Wood 07-09-20 01:15 PM

Walmart has plenty of no-name clothing

REDMASTA 07-09-20 01:22 PM

pearl izumi about as unassuming as it gets.

SpeedRanger 07-09-20 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood (Post 21578369)
Walmart has plenty of no-name clothing

Would you consider it decent/ok quality for the lower price point?

shelbyfv 07-09-20 02:14 PM

You won't find any cycling specific clothing at your local Walmart but they have some inexpensive but decent quality wicking Ts. For actual cycling clothing you have to look at the individual garment. You can find discreet labels from most brands if you search.

cb400bill 07-09-20 02:30 PM

https://www.theblackbibs.com/

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...6905e0914.jpeg

Pop N Wood 07-09-20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedRanger (Post 21578383)
Would you consider it decent/ok quality for the lower price point?

in all honesty it is all I wear when I ride.

They sell short sleeve synthetic shirts made from recycled water bottles for $4.76. Long sleeve, hi-vis, lightweight synthetic work shirts are only a few bucks more. Gym shorts are $6.88. Cold weather I wear their $8 sweatshirts and sweatpants.

For $20 you could buy a complete matching ensemble. What do you have to lose by trying?

Ogsarg 07-09-20 06:42 PM

I'm a fan of Pactimo. Very good quality and most of their gear just has a small logo that isn't all that identifiable. It's pricey but they have some great sales on occasion, like 40-50% off.

Ornot is another brand with minimal branding but I have no experience with their stuff. Probably plenty of others if you look.

canklecat 07-10-20 12:08 AM

Ditto, Black Bibs shorts, bibs and jerseys. Good, affordable, no logos.

Best sleeper label shorts and bibs I've found at Przewalski and Spotti (probably the same manufacturer under different labels). Check 'em on Amazon. The Dupont pads they use are top notch. Very comfy.

My favorite relaxed fit jerseys are by Louis Garneau. Subtle logos on their most recent designs. Good quality, no problems. Garneau's Lemmon II jersey is by far the most comfortable fabric I've worn for hot and humid rides.

Ditto, Pearl Izumi, a step up from the above. My snug fitting and aero jerseys are all Pearl Izumi, and I have PI arm warmer, shorts and windbreaker as well. Pearl Izumi tends to be tailored for folks who wear small and medium. The only complaints I read are from heavier riders, because the jerseys tend to run pretty snug and some have a short waist intended for wearing with bibs rather than shorts.

Steamer 07-10-20 11:14 AM

I recently got a pair of their shorts. My initial impressions are that the quality is very good in absolute terms, but is pretty much amazing when considering the price.

_ForceD_ 07-10-20 11:33 AM

Sometimes if you 'think outside the box' you can find great, and better, cycling apparel for cheap money. WAY less money than what the regular cycling apparel companies charge. There's no 'rule' that says good cycling apparel has to be designated as cycling apparel...especially when it comes to winter gear. My best ever winter riding hand gear is a pair of water and wind resistant, long cuff mittens that I paid $10 for a the local close-out job lot store. They're so much better that the Pearl iZumi 'lobster gloves' I have. The best winter riding pants I've ever had are a stretched out (now fitting my body size) old pair of my wife's flannel-lined yoga pants. From my downhill skiing days, a short waist-cut ski jacket that I just put a long-sleeve jersey over.

Dan

teejaywhy 07-10-20 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood (Post 21578539)
in all honesty it is all I wear when I ride.

They sell short sleeve synthetic shirts made from recycled water bottles for $4.76. Long sleeve, hi-vis, lightweight synthetic work shirts are only a few bucks more. Gym shorts are $6.88. Cold weather I wear their $8 sweatshirts and sweatpants.

For $20 you could buy a complete matching ensemble. What do you have to lose by trying?

Your dignity?

gios 07-10-20 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cb400bill (Post 21578478)

I hope they get those size large jerseys and bibs back in stock. I'd like to give a couple a test ride.

cb400bill 07-10-20 05:03 PM

Keep in mind that Black Bibs kit is more a race fit than a club fit. I usually wear an L or maybe an XL jersey. I had to order an XXL from them. I sized up from L to XL in their bibs.

Pop N Wood 07-10-20 06:12 PM

Just learned from another thread the walmart T's are all UPF 50 as well. How cool is that?

Turns out Walmart does carry cycle specific stuff

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bellwethe...s-SM/464328431

Only one tiny logo

indyfabz 07-10-20 06:44 PM

Rapha.

CAT7RDR 07-10-20 06:52 PM

I ordered and received a second pair of their Black Bib Ultimate. I'm 6'2" 210 lbs and the XL was perfect. I will order a third pair. Really a good buy for $80. No complaints after wearing them for about 10 rides in the 50-80 mile distance with 5-8K of climb. Very comfortable and generous with the inseam.
https://www.theblackbibs.com/shop/ultimate

Pugs2xLove 07-10-20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by canklecat (Post 21579292)
Ditto, Black Bibs shorts, bibs and jerseys. Good, affordable, no logos.

Best sleeper label shorts and bibs I've found at Przewalski and Spotti (probably the same manufacturer under different labels). Check 'em on Amazon. The Dupont pads they use are top notch. Very comfy.

My favorite relaxed fit jerseys are by Louis Garneau. Subtle logos on their most recent designs. Good quality, no problems. Garneau's Lemmon II jersey is by far the most comfortable fabric I've worn for hot and humid rides.

Ditto, Pearl Izumi, a step up from the above. My snug fitting and aero jerseys are all Pearl Izumi, and I have PI arm warmer, shorts and windbreaker as well. Pearl Izumi tends to be tailored for folks who wear small and medium. The only complaints I read are from heavier riders, because the jerseys tend to run pretty snug and some have a short waist intended for wearing with bibs rather than shorts.

I have several clothing items made by Przewalski. Pretty decent quality and reasonably priced.

Dirt Farmer 07-12-20 09:34 PM

I'm happy with these folks, but whatever you order gets shipped straight from China, which takes a while. (No, I don't mind purchasing "Made In China" :rolleyes:)

https://onlinecyclinggear.com

Slightspeed 07-12-20 11:49 PM

Voler.
Kucharik.
Both Made in California, USA.

Thomas15 07-13-20 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by gios (Post 21580534)
I hope they get those size large jerseys and bibs back in stock. I'd like to give a couple a test ride.

I have been checking this thread several times and every time I check the linked website because I'm thinking about another pair of shorts. I really don't like to look like a walking talking billboard or paying to advertise a product. But is it not a little weird when a manufacturer is sold out of what they claim to be their flagship product? Sort of like going to Staples Office Supply Store and being told they are sold out of staples and have no idea when their getting more.

Koyote 07-13-20 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedRanger (Post 21578363)
Are there any decent quality athletic/cycling apparel companies that don't endorse celebrities, star athletes and social politics to market their products?
I prefer companies that focus on quality products, clever design by fit and function, yet avoid over the top branding, endorsements, and trendy social marketing.

You obviously haven't looked very hard.

gios 07-13-20 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Thomas15 (Post 21584499)
I have been checking this thread several times and every time I check the linked website because I'm thinking about another pair of shorts

7/11 update from their fb:

Lots of stock will be added Mon-Weds this week, including:
Black Bibs Plus.
Ultimate Adventure Bibs
Black Bibs (not all sizes but more expected later in the week)
Black Bibs Ultimate in size small (only size that is out)
Race Jersey Orange and Lime Green
Pro Summer Jersey Black and Teal
Winter Jersey Gray
Summer Long-Sleeved Jersey Orange

SpeedRanger 07-13-20 07:38 AM

Great suggestions here, Thanks everyone!
I came across this company https://www.avalancheskiwear.com/en/...category/bike/
They sell winter / ski clothing but also list a "new" line for cycling.
They are located in Quebec, Canada.

smoore 07-13-20 11:24 AM

Voler is great...but make sure you know Race Fit from Club Fit. Bellweather was another "generic" brand that was good, low cost and in my case, fit me well. They seem to have disappeared along with Performance Bike which was my go-to for the last several years for lower cost, average guy fitting. Sigh. However, there is one more worth checking and they have sales and mark-downs regularly.....REI. But not everyone has an REI in their neighborhood. But they seem to cater more to the average enthusiast rather than the racer.