Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Is this the End of Pcad? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=838271)

patentcad 08-09-12 05:04 PM

Is this the End of Pcad?

Pcad the cyclist I mean. Just got back from the urologist, and it seems rather convincing after 6 weeks of this that it's not my prostate that is causing pain and discomfort in the Pcad nether regions, it's pelvic floor syndrome, or some bull**** name like that. Muscle spasms where you sit. I'm convinced it's a further manifestation of the pelvic pain that I've been contending with for 12 years, for the past 7 years the cycling helped, now it is aggravating the condition. Physical therapy next.

What has me down is that half this urologist's cycling patients with this syndrome wind up giving up the sport over it. The longest I've been off the bike has been ten days, I'll need a minimum of ten WEEKS to really give any muscle or nerve damage time to really heal. I'll be on pain meds for a few days, then it calms down. But when I get back on the bike, the pain comes back within a couple of rides, so the cause and effect is rather direct.

Any links to sites or discussion groups about this condition appreciated. Hope I don't have to hang up the bike.

The good news is my workout for the next couple of months will be daily 2 mile walks up and down Mt. Doom with my favorite walking companion, Sam.

Carry on.

patentcad 08-09-12 05:05 PM

By the way, just so you know, any health condition with 'syndrome' in the name is doctorese for 'we don't know what the **** is wrong with you, Google it yourself you moron.

patentcad 08-09-12 05:06 PM

The physical therapist I'm seeing alleges that 60-70% of the cyclists she has treated over the past several years did get back to cycling, so that's hopeful.

LAriverRat 08-09-12 05:10 PM

Yawn, go bent.

Velo Vol 08-09-12 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by LAriverRat (Post 14587013)
Yawn, go bent.

+1

KoolAidnPizza 08-09-12 05:13 PM

If your out, can I have a pcad memorial bike part?

Jed19 08-09-12 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 14587001)
The physical therapist I'm seeing alleges that 60-70% of the cyclists she has treated over the past several years did get back to cycling, so that's hopeful.

That is some good news. I'll take whatever time off the bike to heal completely and do the pt religiously, if that means I'll be able to get back on my bike in the future, if I were you.

Good luck.

Stealthammer 08-09-12 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 14586998)
By the way, just so you know, any health condition with 'syndrome' in the name is doctorese for 'we don't know what the **** is wrong with you, Google it yourself you moron.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I think the same thing is true when they send you to a rheumatologist. Basically what they are saying is that all of to other *ologist found no results.

BTW: I think rheuma actually originate from the Greek and translates to "what the ****?"

coppercook62 08-09-12 05:23 PM

Say it aint so, I dont know what i'd do.

SCochiller 08-09-12 05:25 PM

Are you sure it isn't vaginal prolapse?

Jaymadd 08-09-12 05:26 PM

Bummer. Get better man. Agreed that it may be time to start looking at a bent.

Carbon Unit 08-09-12 05:27 PM

I haven't googled your syndrome yet. Besides riding a bent, could a different saddle improve your situation? I gave up my Brooks knock off for an SMP and the wide cut out solved the pain and numbness I was having with every saddle I tried.

Jed19 08-09-12 05:36 PM

Yawn, go bent.

Yeah, this could be a very viable option. There is nothing wrong with a bent, contrary to all the snickering on the 41.

Just put Zipp or other high-end wheels on your bent, and all the snickering would evaporate.

rangerdavid 08-09-12 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by SCochiller (Post 14587080)
Are you sure it isn't vaginal prolapse?

:roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2::roflmao2:

It may just be time for you to purchase a...................

do I have to say it????

dare I say it********************?

a brooks saddle.

rjones28 08-09-12 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 14586989)
Pcad the cyclist I mean. Just got back from the urologist, and it seems rather convincing after 6 weeks of this that it's not my prostate that is causing pain and discomfort in the Pcad nether regions, it's pelvic floor syndrome, or some bull**** name like that. Muscle spasms where you sit. I'm convinced it's a further manifestation of the pelvic pain that I've been contending with for 12 years, for the past 7 years the cycling helped, now it is aggravating the condition. Physical therapy next.

What has me down is that half this urologist's cycling patients with this syndrome wind up giving up the sport over it. The longest I've been off the bike has been ten days, I'll need a minimum of ten WEEKS to really give any muscle or nerve damage time to really heal. I'll be on pain meds for a few days, then it calms down. But when I get back on the bike, the pain comes back within a couple of rides, so the cause and effect is rather direct.

Any links to sites or discussion groups about this condition appreciated. Hope I don't have to hang up the bike.

The good news is my workout for the next couple of months will be daily 2 mile walks up and down Mt. Doom with my favorite walking companion, Sam.

Carry on.

Bummer.

Hope it gets better.

The interim workout sounds pretty good.

patentcad 08-09-12 05:40 PM

Yawn, go bent.

I'd kill myself first.

Jed19 08-09-12 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 14587142)
I'd kill myself first.

Well, that settles that.

patentcad 08-09-12 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Unit (Post 14587093)
I haven't googled your syndrome yet. Besides riding a bent, could a different saddle improve your situation? I gave up my Brooks knock off for an SMP and the wide cut out solved the pain and numbness I was having with every saddle I tried.

Yeah, it's all possible, but it's rather clear to me now that this needs a couple of months of rest.

LowCel 08-09-12 05:45 PM

Okay, first off I've got one hell of a buzz. With that said, from what I read you said is that half of his patients give up cycling because of this. I would be willing to bet that the half that give it up are not nearly as big of a pain in the ass or as stubborn as you are. We may joke around a lot but we both know that you are not a quitter. I know that you will not be in the half that give this sport up. Even if I thought you would give up and send me your Di2 I would know without a doubt that you are not going to give this stupid sport up any time soon. You are a lifer. Sorry.

I may deny this comment tomorrow but for now I'm not worried, you are going to be around here for a long, long, long time.

Velo Gator 08-09-12 05:55 PM

:hug:

You'll be back.

Carbon Unit 08-09-12 05:56 PM

I have had two surgeries in the past three years. The second surgery was the result of the stitches failing from the first surgery. I was off the bike for 8 months the first time and 5 months the second time. It sucked being off my bike but I am faster and stronger now than ever before. During my time off, I walked a lot and watched a lot of movies.

unionmade 08-09-12 05:57 PM

Sorry to hear it. Hope you are back on the bike sooner rather than later. By my rudimentary math, 10 weeks off the bike means 75k is easily witin reach.

ahsposo 08-09-12 06:02 PM

Yawn, go bent.

Originally Posted by patentcad (Post 14587142)
I'd kill myself first.

And you'd post about here after you did, right?

Elduderino2412 08-09-12 06:05 PM

have you tried removing the saddle, and just sitting on the post. That should expand your rear pelvic floor. Or just get bent. Either way you will be back.

ahsposo 08-09-12 06:06 PM

Didn't I suggest a proctologist for you a long, long time ago? I realize I suggested it as a psychological remedy but maybe he would have caught this early.

What Ever.

I do sincerely hope you can ride again and my best wishes for a positive outcome.